Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine oil leaking onto exhaust - hazardous?

Options
  • 30-04-2022 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Was doing an oil change today for the first time and I overtightened the oil drain plug and cracked the drain plug hole. Also slightly stripped the thread on the hole so the plug wont tighten beyond a crank past hand tightened. Rookie error i know.

I did the oil change any way and replugged drain hole and now it leaks. Reasonably slowly, about a drop every 30 seconds. Faster when its warm.

I rode about 20 kms after and noticed that the leaking oil is getting flown back onto the bottom of the exhaust (under the bike not near the rear of exhaust) causing some smoke. Hasnt caught fire just smoking.

I plan to get a mechanic to see what they can do after the weekend but Im wondering if its safe to ride the bike with the leak in the mean time (only mode of transport currently). Is a honda spada.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No don't ride it. Not Because your dripping oil to exhaust. But because you could drain your oil past low when driving which will be far more awful than having some smoke off a hot exhaust.

Might have to be tapped and redrilled. But could mean new oil pan.

I'd say oil pan is probably cheapest simple solution here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If it's cracked it's a new sump. Not the end of the world. The real danger from riding it is oil getting onto the rear tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

If your not precious, monkey metal (chemical metal) should provide a quick clean fix

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

Main risks are oil getting onto your tyre, generating a lot of smoke (fire isn't that likely) if the exhaust is hot and losing oil from your engine which is not good for it at all.

Inhaling fumes from partially burnt engine oil isn't good for you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

if your in Dublin, get Bert to weld it back up for you and retap the threads. Otherwise you could consider a helicoil.

I had bert weld and retap a thread on my flywheel before

Look at a stahlbus oil drain though in the future if you're worried about over torquing the threads again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Actually I see your bike's a Jap import, you may have difficulty getting a sump for that unless you can find one in a breakers. Moto engineering is probably your best bet so.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pretty much all bikes are Jap imports 😁

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement