Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"He Was 5'7". After Surgery, He’ll Be 5'10"" [on limb-lengthening surgery]

Options
  • 30-04-2022 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I thought this topic might be of interest to the odd person. I know their height is something some men struggle with.

My height is not below-average so I certainly won't be doing it myself. I doubt I'd be encouraging it either.

But I would also find it hard to be judgemental of someone you had it.

Twitter event with associated tweets:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1520175096463343617

Article on it:

He Was 5'7". After Surgery, He’ll Be 5'10".

Originally designed to correct mismatched length in legs, limb-lengthening surgery has become increasingly popular for men looking to permanently increase their height.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/elaminabdelmahmoud/limb-lengthening-surgery-height-stigma-short-kings

Conflict of interest statement: I do not have any financial or other interest in limb-lengthening surgery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Was this a film with Ethan Hawke...

Gattaca, that's what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Not a catchy film title. Could do with shortening.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Breaking your legs for 3 inches - and the surgery is described as 'long (eh?), painful, and expensive'. One of the prime motivations that the guy who got it done was because of 'hurtful comments' about his height. I'm on the small side, but haven't had any comments about my height (bar in one instance) since I did my junior cert.

I have noticed that height seems to be a standard discussion in dating circles now when it didn't seem to be when I was growing up. First Dates Ireland seem to talk about nothing but height. I can understand smaller guys obsessing about it (if they're getting sly digs) but there was one tall guy who's main personality trait was ... that he was tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Would you not be out of proportion after it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think Zilinsky would be able to get a date very easily and he's to that tall either. It's all in the head. I know one short guy that pull no problem because they know how to talk to girls.

I'm 5'6 and to be honest I hate it, even now in my 40s when I'm happily married and a father. I have never been happy about my height and was so disappointed as a teenager as all my friends and male cousins shot up past me. My height puts me in the 10th percentile for male height in Ireland. I have no doubt that it very negatively affected my self-esteem, in my teens and twenties.

I don't think it's something that taller men understand very well. And while it's true that there are plenty of successful short men (Putin, Zelensky, Olaf Scholz, Sarkozy, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Robert Downy Jr., Winston Churchill, Stalin, Jack Black, Joe Rogan, Al Pacino, etc.), I bet you that every single one of them struggled with their height at some point. Some short men lean into it, and compensate by overachieving in some other physical area, such as gym work. But many, in my experience, shy away from physicality altogether.

All that said, never in a million years would I have been even remotely tempted to undergo this type of surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭iptba

Pilita Clark: Men who have their legs broken to gain height are not entirely mad

Research shows taller people are more successful, but leg-lengthening surgery is still a step too far

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/2022/09/26/men-who-get-their-legs-broken-to-gain-height-are-not-entirely-mad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

While this is purely cosmetic, it's no different in approach from the many other orthopedic surgeries that people do. It's not a crazy technical or risky procedure.

Legs are not broken, they're surgically cut, in the same manner as a joint replacement. Foot surgeries routines cut and reposition ties. Jaws are routinely cut to correct severe under and overbites. All these carry risks. I don't think that getting your legs lengthened is that weird, no weirder than getting braces or some other orthodontic work.

The only issue is whether you're left with excessive scarring or your proportions look unbalanced.

Advertisement