Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carlo Ancelotti the greatest manager of all time?

• 30-04-2022 5:34pm

Ancelotti has now won the league title in the top five major leagues along with three champions leagues

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He sure has.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No, you could say he helped create the mess at Everton , building half a team and then splitting mid project, after saying he was ther for the long haul. obviously not a fan, hope City do a job next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

you spelled Jurgen Klopp wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You could also say getting them to finish where they did was a remarkable feat. Imagine thinking a coach should reject Real Madrid to stay at Everton.

He's proven himself one of the greatest coaches ever. If Madrid win the CL, he'll be in the discussion for greatest ever.

Spent a load of money on a lobsided team - playing **** football , and ending up mid table , saying he was ther for the long haul - and today the remnants of that team will probably be releagated , hardly greatest manager of all time - taking over at Real with the players they had, many other good manager could maintain that.

• Advertisement

I'm sure he'd much prefer to give up his La Liga winner's medal and a potential place in the CL final to be battling it out with Wolves for 10th every season. Everton were punching well above their weight getting him in the first place.

No, wish we never got him , as said he started an expensive build and left us with half a team , and its been downhill ever since , so to hear on the day we are probably relegated , that he is greatest manager of all time , not having it - sign of a great manager to me , is winning at a smaller clubs , not winning leagues at PSG, Chelsea and a team bankrolled by the King of Spain .

Not really.

Aside from his time at AC Milan, his CV is chockablock full of a season or two here and there, generally at the top teams where they're expected to win the league.

He was with AC Milan nearly a decade and won ONE Serie A with that incredible AC Milan team, and when that team aged, he wasn't able to rebuild.

Excellent CV but very superficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If Everton was properly run, the multiple managers they have been through wouldn't have been given free rein in the market, there has to be some kind of plan, or overall structure.

Of course Everton has not been run well , but the relegation rot really set in over the past 10 months , obviously not all on Ancelotti, but to hear on the day that his old project probably got relegated , that he is the greatest manager of all time , is a bit muchwhen I'm in a **** mood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

If he won something at Everton, I'd me more impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Something that's kinda mad is that he has 'only' won 5 league titles, bit each league title was in a different country.

Everton are irrelevant. Ye've had two of the best managers in history and did **** all. Ye sacked one of them.

Granted Ancelotti is a great manager , not the greatest , but Rafa is well past his sell by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Arguments about who is the greatest of all time, no matter what the context, will never reach agreement. Too many different opinions.

But most football fans will agree he is certainly in the top managers of all time. Anyone who says he isn't, either are trolling or don't know anything about football.

Maybe. Who is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Alexander Chapman Ferguson.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Dominated the English football with the richest club in the world? Him? Scraped two European Cup in 25 years with the biggest richest club in Europe? No

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Take off the blinkers. 3 Scottish Leagues, 4 Scottish Cups, 1 Scottish League Cup and a Cup Winners Cup (beating Real Madrid) at Aberdeen. Then at Utd, 13 PLs, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 2CL and another CWC. There were also two CL final losses to Peps Barca.

Also for the first 15 or so years of his reign, Utd were a long long way from being the richest club in the world. They were a basket case when he took over and wouldn't be the financial power house they are today if he hadn't won the trophies that he did.

Are you saying I am the horse?

Strange thing.

Aberdeen career great. That he has.

For me winning in different cultures and languages must be worth more than staying safe at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

People love a narrative though, so you can see why this will ring heavier for some people than if he’d won 10 in 3 countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,772 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On the other hand if you don't win the league with psg and Bayern it's generally counted against you. Nearly the same with real.

He underachieved domestically with Milan and there's little disputing that. A team with Gattuso, Pirlo, Rui Costa, Seedorf, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Ambtosini, Kaladze, Cafu. Dida was arguably their weak link, but that squad from 02-07 should've been mopping up titles for fun.

It's frightening just how good a squad that was. Even had rivaldo at one point and of course Jon Dahl Tommasson. I loved that team, but felt they underachieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

He had Everton 2nd in the table at one stage but yea, Ancellotti was their problem

One way of judging is that you rarely , if ever hear a player that has played under him criticise him

Tactically outfoxed Pep in the semi too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Tactically outfoxed Pep in the semi final ? Not so sure about that. They were going out of the competition and had been outplayed in the match until the 90th minute. Now it was a magnificent turnaround, and He’s clearly a great manager, no doubt in the running for best ever with his record, but tactically outfoxed ? Nah, don’t think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think everyone would agree that city have a better and younger squad at the moment

Pep made some very poor substitutions and in extra time when the game needed to be won again he had no de Bruyne or Mahrez on the pitch . Ancellotti brought the match winner off the bench , took his older players off and got legs on to make sure real had the energy. I think it’s fair to say that tactically he got more out of his squad over the 2 legs than Pep did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think it's more just a case of game momentum. Winning by 2 on aggregate, he brought off a KDB who was having a particularly poor game in favour of a more controlling midfield player in Gundogan with less than 20 minutes left. At the same time, Walker for Zinchenko was just a like-for-like with Walker injured. Then with 10 minutes left, another reasonably like-for-like with Graelish for Jesus. Fresh legs. Makes sense. Then with 5 minutes left - and still a 2 goal advantage - brought on a defensive midfielder for an attacker with Fernandinho on for Mahrez. Again, makes total sense.

I just don't know how any of those can be described as poor, let alone "very poor" substitutions. They all make total sense in context with a 2 goal advantage. The fact that Real pulled off an absolute miracle scoring 2 from the 90th minute onwards can hardly be placed on Pep - the team of players that was out there should have had the experience and nous to close that game out, but they totally lost their heads. Now, I think Pep should have been on his feet screaming at them to calm down and keep the ball after they conceded the first, and should have done a better job of resetting the team's confidence and mentality once it went to extra time (they still had decent forwards in Foden, Graelish and Sterling on the pitch) - but those are separate criticisms.

I just can't see a problem with the subs made, when they were made, given the game state in each case.

Has to be on the Mount Rushmore of great coaches now. Delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It all depends on who you ask I suppose.

But he's up there.

Whatever he said at half time worked anyway. They were a poor side coming 2nd best to every tackle in the 1st half, and we're overrun, but 2nd half they were a different team.

Advertisement