Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchwork

Options
  • 30-04-2022 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭

I found this Youtube video which includes a section starting 10.15 about some old French patchwork, with eye-candy starting at 15.15.

What I love is the emphasis on patchwork being made from scraps, left-overs, and recycled fabric. It was a frugal craft, a fact which is lost in the modern iteration of patchwork where lengths of expensive - admittedly beautiful - fabric are purchased in order to cut them up and sew them together again, with much machining, pressing and automatic quilting to a high degree of flat and shiny perfection. Sometimes the fabrics are used like paints to create a pleasing and creative effect, more often they are copied from patterns.

There is a place for this kind of work, and great satisfaction can be achieved from a beautifully crafted quilt, but the pieces shown in the video have soul and character, I love them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfn3qAZf5rE from 10:15.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I find amazing the incredible intricacies of the patterns, the frugality behind it and the astounding amount of work, patience and perseverance that must have gone into making them. They are truly valuing the residual worth of the materials used. Those quilts are the embodiment of "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves".

Advertisement