Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public transport from carrigtwohill to cork city in the morning?

Options
  • 01-05-2022 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

so i was wondering if its possible for me to take the bus/train? sure it it, there are bus stops and a train station, but: when i need to work early shift, i start at 8.

so i need to be at parnell place at around 7:15 to take a bus form there to arrive at work comfortably before 8am. i cant find any connection in carrigtwohill, either bus or train, that leaves so that i arrive at parnell place at a reasonable time. what the hell? am i screwed if i dont have a car?

what annoys me, i was working late shift until 7pm the other day, and checked the bus schedule. there was no bus listed as leaving shortly after 7. so i thought i'll just sit on my desk and do whatever until the next bus leaves, which would be at 7:45. the one before was at 6:50 or so. but since the weather was good, i went outside anyway and behold - a bus! at 7:10 or so. why was this not listed on the schedule? maybe there is a bus that comes at 7:15 in carrigtwohill that they dont list on the schedule. but how can i know? i cant just keep my fingers crossed and wait at the bus station and hope for a bus to appear. if it doesnt, i wont be able to make it to work at 8am.

and when returning from late shift, i still have to wait until 8:45pm at parnell place for the next bus to leave... this is ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's been some years since I looked for something like this myself, but I don't think it exists. They're talking about changing the bus routes/schedules in the near future so it might happen soon, though this also comes with the penalty of the bus taking longer because it will be going through Little Island. I'd look into car pooling. I have cycled that route a few times, but I wouldn't fancy doing it in all weathers at that hour of the morning.

The unexplained buses are probably due to looking at the wrong schedule. Afaik, not all the buses to Youghal stop in Carrigtwohill for example. In the past I've just asked the driver of a bus going in the right direction if he stops in Carrigtwohill. Only once has one said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

so i just checked, and today the I've that leaves at 19:15 from work appears on tfi. but it doesn't on the official bus eireann schedule. it's silly.

from carrigtwohill, there is one at 7:17 in the morning, which is too late. the one before is at 6:18. ridiculous. and then many bus stops are listed multiple times on the website. not sure if it makes difference which I've i choose?

the other day i took the train for early shift... very expensive and probably cheaper to take the car.

this city desperately needs a competent public transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Not sure what timetable you're looking at, but there's some trains from Carrigtwohill to Kent at 06:20 and 06:50. Could that 06:50 be viable for you, arriving at 07:08? It depends on your walking/rolling pace I guess. And perhaps that's all a new timetable...

Leap fare would be cheaper than direct Irish Rail cost (down to €6.00 from €6.90 I think?). Irish Rail also have a "1-day suburban bus and rail" combined ticket for €10.70, which you might be able to avail of? Not sure if you can get a Leap discount on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

yeah i started using the 6:50 one, which is fine.

TFI is stupid though - it shows the 6:39 or 6:40 bus at merchants quay as the next one to take, even though i can comfortable get the 6:25 (or so) one from merchants quay. that really irritated me the first time i took the route.

Advertisement