Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on engineer

Options
  • 01-05-2022 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

New here.

So we bought a site which had a house started and not finished (50% block work).

Planning was resubmitted and approved when we bought it.

We have the plans and site maps and a extremely knowledgeable builder who is ready to start on a few months.

Also should add - we are going the self build route without Mortgage etc.

My question bis do we need a engineer? As we won't need any certs for money draw downs etc. We have a electrician and plumber also.

Any advice. Should ad that the foundations are sound as the engineer who signed off on the sale for us was the same company who originally started the build.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

I would advise you engage a registered architect or engineer at the earliest opportunity.

You can do what you like, but my advice is to get a professional on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newbie221

We have been consulting with one at present, but aren't happy with him.

My question is legally do we need him? For instance could the council stop our build?

The current condition of the build so far is structural safe and the engineer we have was over the original planning and pouring of foundations.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,005 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Short term ... Have you checked what the situation is regarding BCAR? ie. Commencement notice and associated inspections and certification. When did works commence!

Unless you have a good knowledge of construction you would be well advised to have a professional check the works periodically for peace of mind if nothing else.

Long term ... In the event of you mortgaging or selling the house you will need all the relevant certs so probably best to see about that now.

Advertisement