Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No communication from Electric Ireland

Options
  • 02-05-2022 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I read that Electric Ireland has increased by over 20% both electricity and gas from the 1st of May. I didn’t receive any communication about it (checked my spam folder).

is it normal?

just curious because for any other services I use, I receive an email about 1 month before to let me know what the new terms would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I think this happened over teh weekend with a few different suppliers. I was thinking it was like teh UK had happen on 1st April but it appears situation is a bit different . There ist seemed to be across teh board. Here i think it was more company by company and responding to rising prices and costs at their end. But am aware that a few others had similar price rises or possibly +7% I thought.l Was thinking Flogas was 27% . & price rising on both gas and electricity with a few firms.

I'm just looking at price comparisons at the moment and trying to work out who is worth moving away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've been with them 21 years , never changed tariff, especially to smart ones (low usage customer) have never , ever received any notifications about price increases but did get a patronising email over the weekend telling how much they ate concerned their customers understand their billing and will strive to advise customers on the cheapest options available.

AND NO, SWITCHING NOT AN OPTION AS LOW USAGE RURAL CUSTOMER.

Basically, BS

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'm with them 37 years and never got advice of a rate change.

I'm just a child in comparison (21 years) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

Nice to see that they value their customers….

I thought they would need to inform everyone in case of price change (increase or decrease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,272 ✭✭✭✭zell12

EI took out the required adverts in the media, plus it was heavily publicised, 30 days in advance. They don't have to inform every customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

They also don't send notice of the price reductions made in 2018, 2019 & 2020.

Everyone should be switching every 12 months.

If you are a low usage customer it will make little difference

Correct, they never communicate price increases or decreases, obviously they would if someone coming to end of a fixed tariff price contract but I've been on the same plan, 21 years.

It is of course advisable to look at options every 12 months but in my case, and I've checked, nothing cheaper, I actually pay more in levies, standing charges and VAT than I do for electricity and annoyingly higher rural standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've never had an issue with them and can't fault their customer service. They did inform you. You obviously heard about the increases yourself. They do nit have to contact you individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

Thank you. So it looks like it is normal. You learn something new every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AndreR

Fraud Alert! Government gave me the credit of 200 euro a few weeks ago which is 'one time off' of support. My account was in credit and Electric Ireland initiated a direct debit instead of adjusting the amount. 6 euro fine applied as the payment was declined. Electric Ireland deleted all the correct history of all previous transactions! Further investigation is required! My account should show 'minus'. Logged in to Electric Ireland web regularly. The '6 euro fine' needs to be removed and all the transactions should be presented the way it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The CRU rules about communication of price increases lets them put ads in newspapers to cover it (they need to two things from a list of five, and having it on their website and a newspaper ad are two of the allowed ones - and this is what they basically all do). Rather outdated.

You need to contact Electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

So you are probably on a monthly budget / equaliser plan.

That means YOU agreed to a monthly debit of a fixed amount

At the end of the 12 month period payments are adjusted.

That what it says and that's what you signed up to.

These plans are designed to have you in credit as you approach winter and in a higher debit position as winter finishes to even out the payments over 12 months.

The €200 credit just goes into the mix, but the agreed monthly amount is still deducted.

Advertisement