Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't Worry Darling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks really interesting.

Florence Pugh is always so watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

New trailer out today: yikes.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It doesn't seem to be scifi but it feels very stepford wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭jj880

Not sure what to make of this kind of promo for a movie. At the time it was scheduling but now it's because the movie set wasn't safe due to LaBeouf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Jesus. TBH, he does not seem to be a very likeable person. Maybe those Transformers movies put me off 'cos all I can think about him now is him constantly going "nonononono" and mumbling off rapid dialogue while avoiding eye-contact. And then this whole narcissistic "Method". This whole "I'm an artist" method-acting shtick is getting old. There is a time and a place. A type of character (Usually based on real person) that can benefit from research and immersion. But come on. Jared Leto's crap for.... For the JOKER cameo?

Florence Push is ALWAYS watchable. From that Fighting With My Family to saving the Black Widow movie (Full-on THEFT of that movie from Scarlet Johanson). I must admit, I don't think I've seen much of her in drama but I have no doubt about her ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm glad the set was safe for Olivia Wilde to cheat on her husband with Harry Styles instead. Much more professional.

Yeah whatever the reasons for replacing LaBeouf with Styles (who just happened to be finished up with his tour at that time) its just comes off a bit low to be sticking the boot into someone now to promo the movie when a different reason was given at the time. I notice she's having a go at the ex fiance (Jason Sudeikis) now too calling him evil and saying "there's a reason I left that relationship". It just seems a bit low class to be coming out with all this just before her movie launch. I don't think you would hear other top directors airing their dirty laundry in interviews in the run up to a release.

Yeah Florence Pugh is A list talent. Great actress. This movie gives me midsommar vibes. She was excellent in that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Method Acting has got a little bit of a bad rep of late thanks to the likes of Leto or LeBeouf taking it to extremes. But worth remembering that Pacino, DeNiro and Day-Lewis are graduates of the Method school of acting, to name three. However, by all accounts they (apparently) are normal, well-adjusted people and supposedly professional and courteous on set (despite how Day-Lewis wanted to be referred to as Mr. President during the Lincoln shoot). I doubt the older actors would still be working if they weren't respectful of others.

For Jared Leto and Shia LeBeouf? I have a feeling it's all just a front and convenience to excuse the simple reality they are both, basically, total ássholes. If they were persuaded to dial back the "tortured artiste" routine and try a more naturalistic performance, they'd probably do quite well. But harder then to get away with being a díckhead to others.

As to the film? The trailer makes it look like it could be an absolutely riveting, tense thriller. Not often you see Chris Pine play an openly malevolent character, so that could be interesting.

Shocked to discover that Olivia Wilde was lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Shocked !! I tended to believe Ted Lasso anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

I've seen a good few interviews with Shia lately and he doesnt mention what happened on this movie at all, I'd love to hear his version of events. I dont know what it is though but Olivia wilde's use of the word "Safe" sets off alarm bells for me, I suspect we're not hearing the full truth. LeBouf is promoting the Padre Pio biopic he starred in at the moment and he comes across as brutally honest and sincere.

Well she cheated on her husband with one of the cast members she hired to star in her movie so it wasn't really a professional set.

So if it's not a professional set I would say it's not a "Safe" set

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Olivia Wilde sounds like a bit of melt

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This has been trending last few days:

Olivia Wilde = Amber Heard 2.0

Olivia should worry darling 😄

Wilde saying she based the villain of the movie on Jordan Peterson.

That is another good reason not to watch this.

My goodness the drama around the making of this film seems to be eclipsing the film itself(which by all accounts is very mediocre). What with the attempt to throw Shia LeBeuof under the bus and portray him as the bad guy and now it seems as though the real villain of the piece was Olivia wilde herself. And now "Spit gate".........I've watched the clips and it does look like Harry Styles gobbed on Chris pine, even though both have had representatives stringently deny any such thing took place.

• Advertisement

Harry actin the clown to generate some buzz. No doubt under orders from his missus Olivia Heard. Every time I see Chris Pine with Styles he looks ready to strangle him 😂. Pine is, in my opinion, a very good actor (Hell Or High Water is one of my favourite films) and I think he resents havin to babysit Styles who has no business being in a movie with a cast of proper actors.

Harry is a draw for middle aged women and they will flock to the cinemas to see this.

It is the smae at all his concerts by all accounts there is more middle aged women at them than teen girls.

Sure I get that but would expect a celeb cameo. The fact that he's the leading man (and if reports are to be believed got paid a lot more than Pugh) is ridiculous in my opinion. Actors working years perfecting their art and building up a reputation. In bounces Styles coz he's slippin the mickey to the director. Maybe he'll surprise us all. Doubt it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Middle-aged women, teen girls ... and you, apparently? 🤨😜

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my only anecdote living near Lansdowne road is guessing who is on, based on the crowd going or vice versa, But the crowd for him was teeny bobby , West Life on the other hand.....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was looking forward to seeing what Wilde did after Booksmart, but between the feeding frenzy BTS stuff and the critical shrug it has received any enthusiasm has all but evaporated. That said, Pugh is one of the rare actresses working today who can make even otherwise weak fare like Black Widow worth watching, so will still give it a look.

Agreed about Chris Pine. I think Hell or highwater is a stone cold classic, himself and Ben Foster are incredible in that movie. He was also very good in the outlaw king and by all accounts a very likeable fella when the cameras arent rolling, loved by cast and crew, so if there was a beef I'd be inclined to look in Harry's direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

She seems to be a bit unhinged to say the least

Olivia Wilde has revealed that Chris Pine’s “terrifying” character in her newest movie, Don’t Worry Darling, is based on the controversial Canadian psychologist and author Jordan Peterson.

“We based that character on this insane man, Jordan Peterson, who is this pseudo-intellectual hero to the incel community,” Wilde said.

She further explained the incels as a community of “disenfranchised, mostly white men, who believe they are entitled to sex from women”.

“They believe that society has now robbed them – that the idea of feminism is working against nature, and that we must be put back into the correct place,” Wilde added.

He is getting glowing reviews for My Policeman, musicians can act well too given a good role, Cher is an Oscar winner Lady Gaga a nominee etc.,

• Advertisement

Controversy sells. If you scroll down a bit here, you'll see that the movie's opening weekend is tracking upwards by 19% compared to the week before: https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-amsterdam-and-lyle-lyle-crocodile/

Now, all it will need is to be a good movie and have generous word of mouth.

Advertisement