Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

Mystic Meg strikes again. Any chance of that lotto win?🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blue_peeler

Aye so after failing at the 2020 AC, I thought i'd give it a crack again this time round and got through. ML 300-350.

Glad to have got past the line this time, now it's just a waiting game for the budget etc to get sorted. I recognise a few usernames from the 2020 forum and its great to say we'll finally be looking back at it all soon from Hotel GV. Well done everyone who got through!

The long wait ahead is going to be a head wreck but worth it at the end of the day. I’m on the same side as you buddy, failed 2020 AC and finally on the ML this time around. Can’t wait to put names to faces and enjoy the stress and pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blue_peeler

Yeah the wait will be a killer alright but we've got through the toughest hurdle. The advice from NeeNaw21 is great. Do what we can while we can really, it'll fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

Once thing to consider if you believe your merit position is high..

From the 2018 campaign, 420 didn't make it through or withdrew their application. Many of which, would be below your merit number.

So I would certainly shave off a few to get your actual number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭reddriver

If I get those lotto numbers ya all will get in on it for the support 😂 mystic meg will return with more predictions lol

I’m screenshotting this for future reference, I claim 10% of your winnings. A small and fair amount 🤣🤣

Guys and girls; was just scrolling through “Facebook” and noticed a post from BBC news line in regards to strike action from PSNI officers. Tensions are high within and I can see something brewing very quickly

Why can I not find the delete comment button 😅 fair is fair though!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Don't think they are permitted to actually strike. Morale is very low atm in the force. Officers Feel undervalued and there was no pay rise this year. Hard with the cost of living increases.

Tbh the starting salary is low considering the risk in the job and working shifts.

Still it increases a lot after a few years served and the pension is good.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know that they can’t have a “strike” but I feel a blue cold coming or just a we’re not going to this or going to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Lol.

We are the service that can't say no.

If we don't go to something we're screwed.

Whilst ambulance and social service have no consequences when theh don't go.

Real culture of "awk sure just send the police" in certain partner agencies

How many times a day are people still checking their emails? I’m constant still 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

On about 10 before lunch even though they've said expect nothing soon. Idk why it's muscle memory at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Just to make sure we pass the PCA…. It looks like wee buns… but in reality I’m sure that’s not the case….

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldBenTheHermit

That video on the website is minimal effort and slowed down, gun it, absolutely gun it like the job depends on it, felt like my lungs were going to explode after mine lol

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Got another pay increase in my work. Literally spending no money, driving a dinged car and treating myself to nothing material for the next while so I'm not screwed at the financial part of vetting. Just hope it all works out given the sacrifices in the hope of getting a position lol already a massive paycut if I do get in, just hope I'm not waiting more than 2 years or may not be financially viable. I'm sure others on here are in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

Hi guys!

check your junk mail as your merit list number has been communicated 😀

Did you pass first time or second?

also have you done any workout training prior?

• Advertisement

Just have to make sure the nerves don’t get the better end lol

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hypomnesia

I respect the mindset and dedication haha. But in all seriousness don't kill yourself living minimally.

Dont be worrying about vetting. Get a mortgage, buy a house, car, whatever. It may slow it down but not by much at all! And in all honesty, you'll be sitting in the appointable list for quite a long time by the way things are going, so I wouldn't worry.

For finance, all they literally care about is blackmail. They don't care about you, they care about how much of a risk you are holding their clearance, eg, can you be bribed? Don't go gambling your life away on sky sports or live on your overdraft getting smashed every night and you'll be fine.

I'm in the same boat, make a decent salary, not much less than constable's max. Just make small changes on your spending habits and you'll be good! Saving myself to survive the paycut.

Also I’ve seen a few comments re financial status etc on here?

What is that about?

I understand if you’re bankrupt or perhaps in lots of debt, that might be an issue but surely everything else is fine?

also what is the online learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

@crazyfire999

Financial status is for vetting purpose but you are right. You can have loan, mortgage, credit cards, but as long as you pay everything on time you are safe 🤷‍♀️

Online learning is 16 hours of online study. You will get link to register and do it in your own time. When you finish you have to send certificate to PSNI. There is nothing to worry about 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

If you're bankrupt you will not pass vetting simple.

Unless you're literally drowning in debt you'll not have any issues financially with vetting.

What else they check with vetting?

I regularly do a social media detox would it be wise to not while the vetting is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Curious about this too, I wiped a lot of my insta and made it private and recently remade my Facebook as I only use it for messaging friends (nothing dodgy just had a large friendliest and couldn't be bothered wiping off a chunk and deleting the cringey posts from when I was 12)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldBenTheHermit

I passed first time, would strength train 4/5 nights a week, all I did was adding cardio or HIIT to prep, my time was just slightly over 3 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

It's more about having too many outgoings. I'm looking at purchasing a new house in new year what this price hike turns. As far as I am aware if your outgoings are too high based on the starting salary for student officer it could affect your ability to join. I am just airing on the cautious side. My outgoings even at the minute are probably quite high for the starting salary so just want to be able to go into role without having to worry about how I'm going to cover my bills. I do think it is something people need to bear in mind. If your on 40k a year now and live wage to wage, it's gonna be near impossible to live on the starting salary as a student officer

• Advertisement

I’ll be honest with you. Currently im on 22.5k a year and scraping by. I know the cut is going to be even worse for myself an many others but that’s the sacrifice im willing to make.

Advertisement