Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

To be honest. Any job within this sector is a slow process. You just got to wait it out and you will get there when the time comes. Everyone here is on the same boat. It’s fine to be frustrated but it is what it is unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭reddriver

Due to my previous career I've been offered jobs in Spain and Sweden, I wouldn't consider them for long term but possible options while I wait on the psni. Do yous reckon this would hinder my application for the psni? Or could I still wait for the process while being in another country?

It’s totally up to yourself really. If I was you I’d just wait out because we don’t know when the next stage is. But on the other foot, you don’t know how long it’ll be so a new job would be good in a different country

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehills4

It could hinder vetting depending on the length of time spent out of the country I would doubt it would effect your eligibility for the role. Take any opportunity that's coming we don't know what the future has in store for us

Debating continuing on with an application for apprentice fire fighter at Belfast city airport, not sure if it would be worthwhile or not but then it could be something to fall back on if worst came to worst…..any suggestion folks?

• Advertisement

It’s totally down to yourself in the end. What do you want more? The wait is worth it imo but do you think it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

You'd need to see how long you'd have to with them to not have to repay them for training

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

International airport recruiting for airport police.

starting salary:  £31,850 per annum

Something not right…

PSNI need to sort out it’s pay structure…

If a constable working within a small airport such as the international airport can get that salary starting out…

Crazy stuff - it’s my understanding that airport police and others join the PSNI trainees in Garnerville?

Airport police.

Don't go anywhere. Deal with barely any crime.

Private sector pension. Endless boredom.

Aye the pay sounds good. But considering of the 6 people who joined the Belfast International Airport police, around the time I was in Garnerville, there's one of them still in.

I'd rather go to Ukraine than work up there.

Harbour on the other hand, hmmm potential.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn’t fancy it.

but I suppose the point I’m making is, here you have an outfit that do the same training as PSNI trainees and as you say, barely any crime or work to do… and they are start out with a pay packet of over £30K..

Whereas men and woman starting out in the PSNI get under 30K and it’s a jungle…

Something not right…

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

I know the C.C made a plea last month warning low pay will see junior officers leaving the force early.(Link below) Personally I know a few people who have only been in the service a few years and have resigned!

Chief Constable Simon Byrne warns low pay could see PSNI losing officers - Belfast Live

Even if they altered the pay scale increments so its a bit more appealing for the first few years, as there is a sizable jump in pay point 7 and 8.

If you compare Constable starting wages from circa 1995 in NI and adjust it for inflation it actually makes me feel ill.

Starting pay Constable Sept 1997

£15,438

Danger money £2280.

Total basic remuneration before overtime £17,718.

Adjusted for inflation today that'd be,

£34,360

Problem is the department of Finance draws it's money for wages from the Treasury.

And the Treasury will just say no.

My primary issue is that the Federation does not seem to realise they could soften the blow with more leave, ability to buy leave, better parental leave etc etc

Was having a flick through the Instagram page and came across this! Was a Q&A about the current recruitment:

Q- From initial application in November to first course into the college - how long is the process?

A-Applications for this campaign are open from 2nd to 19th Nov, 2021. The initial selection test will take place at the end of November and assessment centres will commence from January 2022. We are planning for the first student officers from this campaign to start training from summer 2022

There’s always hope 😂😂😂

This Thursday will see the public Northern Ireland policing board meeting. Think there is a lot of topics as there hasn't been a meeting for a few months. No doubt recruitment and pay will be discussed.

Scottish police officers set to take action in pay dispute https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62001386

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blue_peeler

Not sure if this is allowed but for those on the job currently or even previously, what is your “job”?

Have heard the usual few like retail or civil service worker or their previous employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Anyone any idea what's a realistic salary to be earning in first 2 years with overtime (average amount of overtime)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭reddriver

Has anyone looked at the airport police application? From what I gathered no point applying unless you have previous policing experience... Can any shed some light on this?

Yes, @NeeNaw21 posted previously in the forum he earned 34k first year out of G.V.

I'm led to believe overtime just depends on what district you are in, along with what finance budgets there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Just wondering is overtime shared fairly equally in your district or do the probationers generally get selected for it over others

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭lornzeo99

@Narwahls a couple of people I know very well are higher ranks and they have both told me they will give a lot of it to new recruits as we are cheapest to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Makes sense, may as well take it in the first few years to make up for the drop in pay from my current role

Not exactly true because new recruits tend to not have certain skills.

Driving being a big one

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Looks like all that's going on with Boris and Co is going to further delay things for us. Starting to feel like it may never happen now, just getting on with things. Buying a house and got a new motorbike 🤣🤣 no point holding off hoping for something that may never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭lornzeo99

True! They told me this after they had worked about 30 hours in 2 days so basically everyone is hit with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sintist

I’m ML position 300-330. Has anyone from 2021 recruitment at a <300 position heard anything?

Advertisement