Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

No one has received anything as of yet. It’ll be a good few months before the ball starts to even move an inch

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

What are known as the best stations? Busy stations? Stations with loads of OT? Good teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

Driving as they don't have a licence, or they do but can't drive or they can't drive with lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Can't drive a police vehicle

"they can't" as they don't have a skills or "they can't" as it's taking time to get permission to drive police vehicle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭forumnewbie21

• Registered Users Posts: 11 C3PO.

I’m 203 and not heard a peep yet. No gov so no money, won’t be for a while.

@C3Pio_23 don't show your ml position

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unknown117

won’t expect anything mate until we have an executive and a budget tbh but hopefully i’m wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

I applied for prison service around the same time as psni. Passed the CPO but didn't score high enough to make it onto the list. I was ML 50-60. Just got an email the other day asking did I want to be included in a new batch of interviews.. I said yes just to keep my option open but would rather pnsi job even though i'm ML 750-800 and still have vetting, medical etc etc and the long wait.... Confused and anxious is an understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Sure go for the interview. If you are successful you can decide if you want to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blair0102

I had my medical there recently for the prison service. Im having the same idea, keeping my options open. I know 100000% that it’ll always be police first choice, but I’m happy enough trying the prison service also as I’m around 500 on PSNI merit list. If I don’t like the prison service, as a lot of current police officers didn’t, then I won’t be staying, and if I do it’ll be like a waiting room for the police

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beanz987

Hey,

just thought I'd post the reply I got earlier this month from recruitment when I asked if they had any sort of time frame for the rest of the recruitment stages;

"Good afternoon

At this time, we do not anticipate commencing candidates on the 2021 Campaign merit list through the remaining pre-employment stages during the summer months. When we do start this process, candidates are normally progressed in merit order and are processed in batches.

Kind Regards"

Nothing new, but thought I'd just post it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

Hey all. I hope everyone is hanging in there okay. I've been trying to do the maths around start dates. Assuming no further bad news: the old merit list will be exhausted by April 2023 with the A*s from our intake will have already started. There is a natural loss of 300 officers/year. Take your merit list number and take 1/3rd off for people not passing/withdrawing.

Therefore, if you're near the middle of the merit list, I'm guessing that you're looking at a start date around January 2024.

Unless Stormont returns which could dramatically speed the process up.

Is this roughly what you guys are predicting aswell?

The PSNI want to exhaust the 2020 campaign (133) by end of this year with some from the 2022 campaign included….

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

Yes and I believe that by 'this year' they mean April.

NEW: Home Office announces all police officers to get £1,900 payrise from 1 Sept, equivalent to 5% overall. 

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Newyearnewjob

It's just for England and Wales. Only works out good for newer officers.

Literally has nothing to do with Northern Ireland.

Justice is devolved

Finance is devolved

Health is devolved

Education is devolved.

It gives NI public sector Trade Unions and Associations a target to aim for but with no Government there's no one to make a decision.

Good news for E+W though. Scotland's offers was just awful.

Sh*te how slow recruitment actually is over here, group im in on Facebook for all police recruitment from all over the country literally takes months…whilst here it’s years 😂 can say the boring old story with no government but even before hand was still as bad…. The whole process needs to evolve and come to the times with everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Skyhook44

I saw this comment on another thread and really puts things in perspective and shows the true reality of the job..

”I love my job, it's the best Job in the world. But this job does take over life. 

1. You may have friends that you can't be friends with anymore. 

2. You see and hear things that you wouldn't believe. And sometimes it's pretty horrible. 

3. There's places you can't go anymore. And for some that's even more pronounced. 

4. over time with no notice, ehich you can try and get rid off but if you have certains skills the number of people you can offload that too is small. 

5. Being held on over and over and over means you have to bin plans. 

6. There's no guarantee you'll get certain important dates off. Family birthdays, anniversaries etc. Which most plan for, and i've been particularly lucky as I get that leave in early but we all have things that just pop up. Point 5 feeds into this.

7. You literally can't do some things anymore

8. Stress of work inadvertantly bleeds into family life and you have to work hard to get that healthy balance.

9. Media constantly battering your profession. We know the reality and can generally ignore the tabloid nonsense but it's still less than ideal. 

10. Public sector pay awards have been obliterated for the last 10 years. 

I love my job, literally the best decision I made joining the Police but it's not all roses. It comes in peaks and troughs and tbh I work with some amazing people that make the troughs so much easier to get through. 

The public perception that we earn tonnes of money and live in amazing houses and drive flash cars isn't the reality for most.”

If you’re in that blue light recruitment group? I’d recommend leaving it. I was in it and few instances getting messages from group outsiders about me joining the psni. Ended up seeing one of the names of the person involved in the 2020 recruitment thread because he had his first and lastnight as his username on here?🤦🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Still good news for N.I. I believe the PSNI base their salary off the police oracle pay scales, but as Neenaw21 stated, although we have a DOJ minister in post, they are ultimately powerless with financial decisions as there is no sitting executive. I'd say the pay increase will come at some point though.

If it does, it's more lucrative new recruits, after G.V the pay scale is £24780 + £3456(NITA) + £1900 = £30,136.

@NeeNaw21 Do you know if the NITA is payable throughout G.V? And also, is attestation at the start or graduation from G.V? Trying to work out the date when you will be eligible for moving up the pay scales.

ta,

NITA is danger money re-worded to sound all unicorn and rainbows. Payable from day 1 of GV

Yeah i second this. NI based subversives will monitor groups like that

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭forumnewbie21

Has anyone ever thought of trying the forces in England or Scotland?

I don’t know if any of you have friends in service at the minute. The number of people resigning this month alone is crazy. It’s actually questioning if I want to continue with my application which is absolutely heartbreaking to say because it’s my dream job

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

It’s insane, I know 2 people who have resigned and have only been in the job less than 2 years. And the other friends I know aren’t exactly promoting how great it is, especially in response.

• Advertisement

I like response.

Yes you get shafted a fair bit but i genuinely love my job.

Response could be the best job in the police but we're seen as the low hanging fruit.

It comes in peaks and troughs but I just love the fact that I'm left to my own devices when not at a call for service.

You can be proactive and look for the baddies. And it's great.

Advertisement