Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

I would say the reason we haven't heard as much as a "we know you're still there, hang in" email from the PSNI recruitment team is the fact that there is so much uncertainty with not just the assembly & funding budgets, but with the current economic climate and possible recession looming. I do agree it would be nice to hear an update but it's one thing to send out a hopeful email, but another to try and take it back once commit to a possible deadline you can't keep due to reasons beyond your control. If you're like me and you're in this far, just sit tight. Do your normal day to day. Your turn will come. I'm waiting for the final stages for the prison. If it comes up soon I'm taking it until my turn in this campaign comes up.

Another reason not to put your life on hold - Out of the 1000+ of us waiting for the email to land, historically there are going to be possibly 100's that fail the last stages.. harsh but true.

Anyway, head up, stay positive, train hard, don't do drugs etc etc 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Is the policing board meeting tomorrow public? If it is, if recruitment is mentioned can someone provide an update on here. Extra kudos for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

Found this on some recent policing board minutes:

We are pleased and proud to have been shortlisted for the CIPD Northern Ireland Awards. 

This relates to our 2021 Student Officer Recruitment Campaign which was also shortlisted for the Digital DNA Northern Ireland award for 

‘Best Marketing of the Year’.

Very good marketing. It's a pity about the rest of it haha

The recent FOI stated there is 132 appointable candidates on the 2020 merit list, but there are still 47 candidates still going through the pre-employment stages. So that's 179 candidates. That probably another 4 intakes and since there isn't a Nov/Dec intake, you are now looking at least May for the start of our campaign! And that's if they even run a Jan-May intake.

Looks another week of no communication too! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unknown117

When do we realistically think we will receive an email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I would doubt much will be happening this side of Christmas, can only hope things start moving in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

Is anyone else considering withdrawing their application?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭reddriver

Don't know why you would withdraw the application. Like people have said don't keep your life on hold but you might as well keep the process going incase your circumstances change. You don't wanna pull it and then then regret your decision. But on that note it would be interesting to see how many are still in the process. Think the number was 1064 that passed.

Keep holding in there, I was through a similar process before and it was well worth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

It was 1062 but imagine this number has dropped already with people deciding to go other routes etc. No point withdrawing from process, may aswell keep your options open and can always withdraw at a later stage if you change your mind for whatever reason. Being in the process doesn't restrict you in any way so wouldn't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭lornzeo99

I am in the 2020 campaign and start in October, just got an email to say there will be no further offers this year and they hope to continue with the remaining 2020 candidates if the budget changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Summer157

congrats @lornzeo99 - how long did you have to wait and where about on the merit list where you?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

Anyone get the email there?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hypomnesia

Got the email. May not be great news, but it's reassurance for all that they have atleast acknowledged our frustrations and the campaign will not be scrapped.

Not good news, but at least its an update.

The best we can hope for is an executive to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Skyhook44

After that most recent email I think I’ll be reconsidering going through the recruitment process. It’s a job I’ve always thought I’d love and I’ve had abit of an insight into.

However waiting months upon end with no update then when the process does start moving we have another long stretch ahead… all to go into a job with a basic salary which you could just about make ends meat on, late nights, weekends and getting all the **** of the day threw at you by the public…

I'm not telling you what to do, but I personally wouldn't withdraw, we are all in the same boat. You should atleast let this recruitment process burn in the background and complete your pre-recruitment stages when the time comes - whenever you get the call, you can consider whether the jump is worth it or not. It would be a shame to withdraw now and change your mind later on, just to go back to square one. Joining PSNI is one of the slowest processes there is, it always has been. But I can understand your frustration, I think we all can..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

Extremely disappointing news this afternoon. Hard to stay motivated folks.

It’s just set back after set back. The wait is long and those who wait win the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Newsoph3

At least they are still running the campaign. Out of curiosity could they end up scrapping our campaign? That's what I was more worried about.

It wouldn't make any sense to scrap it, they are losing lots of police officers every month. The most they'll do is freeze this campaign due to budget constraints, too much money has already been spent to scrap it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

I am from the 2020 campaign, and judging by the most recent email it will be next year before i get the call, which could make it 3 years from when i applied, stay positive and be patient, keep the head down and let the application run in the background no point going this far and then withdrawing

Also not trying to tell you what to do just advise from someone who has had to deal with the same things you guys in the 2021 campaign are going through,

Also open to any questions so feel free to ask away

In my opinion they can? But why would they? They are desperate for more on the ground cons. My issue is that the large rate of people resigning and retiring internally and there isn’t enough boots on ground at the minute to even have a full section

I was 700-720 on the merit list for 2020, so it’s only taken 2 years and 10 months lol! It is super disheartening when you get these emails but we did too and eventually got there, just don’t put your life on hold for it, I accepted a job in the NICS during this while I waited x

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

The amount of money it took to get us all this far with advertising and recruitment etc, I'd be really shocked if they did. It's easier to keep us on a list that start from scratch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Disappointing news for us lads. Was hoping for a bit of progress soon.

Thought it was be better to start vetting,fitness test etc now. If budget becomes available some wd be ready to be appointable.

Their thinking is probably that there’s no point wasting money on vetting , medical etc now because it would likely expire before first offers.

The email seems to imply that anyone from 2020 who doesn’t have an offer yet won’t be getting one before April either, either way this is very disheartening as it’s essentially going to be 18 months without pre employment even starting.

Best we can hope for is an executive after the December election and vetting to begin in January with aims for first squad in FY24

Congratulations on getting the call @lornzeo99 !

Can I ask, did your campaign suffer similar delays because of covid? If so what was the timeline regarding first vetting forms being sent out etc and then leading up to first offers?

The vetting process comes down to the individual, its designed to run in the background while you progress through the stages, some people send there forms off and its accepted and passed within weeks and others might need to provide further information.

I am in the 2020 campaign, passed all the PSNI managed stages just hanging in there waiting on the call

Our campaign had reduced numbers due to covid and I’m sure at some points they didn’t have an intake but to be honest I think a lot of campaigns take this long. I’d say I got my vetting forms a year ago. Some peoples can take a long time to come back, mine only took about 6 weeks!

• Advertisement

My vetting took quiet along time, close to a year id say, i was asked for further details twice then heard nothing for months and out of the blue one day i got the email to say i had passed the vetting

Advertisement