Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Also for those who have done it before or knowledge of the PCA, in the video when it says complete 3 laps. Do you just run back to the start and complete it a further 2 times or are there 3 laps of the course required each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Same - could be going to the same place I imagine.

Plenty of time to get things sorted!!! 🏃‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Boneyard2002

It’s just 3 continuous laps. You automatically go back to the start as it’s a circuit

That seems a bit easier then thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Good morning guys, bit of good news for us all recently. With pull outs etc it looks like they will get through list pretty quickly as it looks like there have been quite a few people pull out at the top of the list so can only imagine this will be higher the further down the list they go. Fingers crossed they get the budget they need to progress more of us in the coming months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 kelsogi

Has anyone 200> been called? Just to give us an idea of how many drop outs there has been on the first 150?

No not as of yet, I know a few people in 200s. Though I’m sure they won’t be waiting much longer

What about if someone withdraws though?

It is possible that they contacted the first 180-200 people anticipating that there will be a % that won't respond aswell. Prob alot of people who withdraw only do so once the next step is received/just don't show up.

I'll just be keeping tabs on you boneyard with you being only a few ahead of me 🤣🤣 hopefully we are contacted before year end to start next stages

• Advertisement

Hopefully be in before summer next year all going well. good to see you again

Sorry if I come across silly here, reading the posts regarding the PCA. Is it one lap of the course then 3 laps around it or 3 laps of the course? If that makes sense 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kelsogi

Regarding the medical, does anyone knw how strict they are

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭forumnewbie21

3 laps of the full course

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Don't forget abt Blue lights on BBC tonite. Bit of insight for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehills4

There's a few posts about all the stages on here I'll comment on them to bring the back to the forefront seeing as we are getting some movement

I’m not being funny! But do not base the life and reality of the PSNI and the role as a constable in NI on a BBC One drama. You will be very disappointed….

I think its actually quite good for insight but wouldn't imagine its to be taken literally with it being a drama, watched 2 1/2 episodes, it's really good

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

I am from the 2020 campaign, if anyone has any questions please ask away, or if you prefer just send me i a PM. I will try my best to answer any/all questions

I see the terrorist threat has been increased to severe today. Jeffrey Donaldson has called for more funding to be given to the police for recruitment which will likely benefit us on merit. The negative is obviously police being targeted through all this nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Least things looking like they're moving quickly considering how soon the PCAs are, finally some good news.

Should those with a PCA date get their vetting papers soon or is it being done in a different order this time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

For those about to do the PCA, here’s a look at what lies ahead. Best of luck to one and all…

https://youtu.be/8BTaEq9WuMg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

More or less a minute and a half a lap. Heard from few people though not to try and set a world record because what ever time u get u have to then beat in garnerville lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

If it is the same as 2020 (check what your invite advises) they extended the recruitment part of the PCA to 4.30 but you need to do it in under 4 minute to attest at GV.

The video looks easier than it is. I highly recommend attending the familiarisation session. They recommend you go full effort as it is meant to mirror real life scenarios.

With all that being said it is very manageable, I passed first time with time to spare. Get fit now and maintain your levels of fitness. You’ll need it later anyway if you make it to GV.

Good luck!

What’s the fitness regime like at garnerville? I’ve heard there’s CrossFit workouts for the most part but that’s all I can find out

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

I'm quite excited about the new movement in recruitment.

Although I'm in a predicament, where I'm in a well paid job with good work life balance.

I know that shifts etc can't be really discussed, but unsure on how much of life is sacrificed, in terms of average weekly hours etc?

This job would interest me more and the long term pension and development opportunity's are better.

Its just the sacrifice of family time and pay cut, that keeps me on the fence. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

Unfortunately I am at too early a stage to advise too much but what I can say is my circumstances sound familiar to yours. It’s a massive decision to make especially when you’re giving up a well paid job with a good work life balance. I assume you’ve seen the increased pay from 1st April which is a big boost.

I didn’t enjoy my job but the work life balance and money was good. my reasons for getting into policing were similar to my reasons why I wanted to leave my job which helped.

Regarding the work life balance. You need to make the best of your down time/days off/leave etc because obviously at times you will need to cancel things on short notice and miss birthdays/anniversaries/events etc

personally for me the thought of not passing all of the stages or not getting an offer because of budgetary issues or the campaign closing or any other issue was gutting.

Everyone’s circumstances is different but you should definitely stay in it until you need to decide. They’ve updated the website. Good to see some numbers up there 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

You aren't the only one.

I know of a number of people, however, who have only been in 4/5 years and moved into a more specialized department and no longer work shift pattern. You could get lucky enough, even Neighborhood officers don't work nightshift.

For me, I would hate to turn it down and regret it in 10/20 years and say "What if?"

Now the pay has increased, there's actually not much in the starting salary (30k) and what I'm currently on (33k), so financially it will only increase each year, but after 8 years of working a day shift job, I feel I will have a massive wake-up call coming 😂

• Advertisement

For those under 150, I got my vetting papers today. And boy are they hefty lol

Advertisement