Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I get what you're saying and what the psni are trying to achieve, no point me trying to explain in text as it could be interrupted the wrong way lol. I don't think people should fear police, that's not what I was trying to imply. It's more people who are doing bad things fearing them for the consequences/repercussions etc. Like young ones vandalising cars near my house and just stand there and taunt the police when they arrive with no arrests and no action taken for it to happens weeks later again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 random202201

Anyone any closer to being appointable yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

I’m still appointable but to be honest it’s not much better at this stage lol, felt more involved in the process when I still got emails or had a stage to focus on.

Obviously preferable to worrying about vetting etc but really feel like I’m in a dark waiting room haha

More bad news coming out of Dungiven. Feels like bad news after bad news now for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

I emailed vetting recently - mine is still pending. So I won’t be appointable until that happens. Seen the Dungiven stuff. Just a few boys trying to install fear among officers and also puts more pressure on Byrne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 iolo87

I've been appointable for a few weeks now, as psnaye said its not too exciting over here either! I was worried about the medical in particular so I'm glad it's all out the way though.

What are peoples opinions as to whether Byrne resigning would be good or bad for us? Most likely would just clog the gears further but maybe his replacement could get a funding deal before taking up the Chief Con posting? Trying to stay optimistic!

Unfortunately the funding situation is out of their hands. I personally think it would be a good thing though, morale has been on a plummeting course for the last few years in particular (some of this is not their fault, some of it is), and a few fresh faces with new ideas is better than allowing this to continue.

I think the PSNI has reached a stage in its life where the status quo won’t be enough for either side and some big changes are going to be made over the next few years - I think it’s time to start that internally.

Also I think it’s time for a Chief Con FROM the PSNI. Someone that’s not brought over from England; but also someone not blemished by service in the RUC. I actually think they’ve been grooming Asst Con Singleton for this for a while and he’s only ever been PSNI. Whether his involvement in the current leadership will impact that, who knows. But they can’t be ex RUC or SF won’t endorse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

Why would 50/50 help at all? The last thing The PSNI needs. It needs more people fast not a way to shorten who it hires.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

I didn't say whether it would help or not. It was just a change of topic and a question…

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Zoo234

For those that are appointable, did you get an email to say this? I had my vetting passed last week which is the last thing I was waiting on but haven't had any email to say I'm appointable. Cheers.

• Advertisement

No they don’t email you but I emailed them to confirm and they emailed back to say I was

Is it right that those applying for to be the next chief con has to have experience outside the PSNI (i.e have worked in another force) ? Singleton doesn’t have that. Any other chief con has….

Keep an eye on Paula Hillman… ex PSNI…. Currently assistant commissioner with Garda…

first woman chief con…. If she was to go forward and be appointed…. Could see it happening.

Well that’s all she wrote for CC!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

Please in some way make some good out of this bad situation (doubtful)

Doubtful any impact on our short term situation but hopefully some improvements in processes and morale in the medium term

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Narwahls

A fresh face might help. Preferably someone from here might help a bit more for boosting numbers from certain communities.

Hopefully a boost in funding to help fix the current situation will follow in due course

CHH said no to more money yesterday but hopefully that’s the stick end of the carrot and stick

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

Tbh, with everything that is going on, I'm not even sure if it's what I want to do anymore.

Added stress and workload, with a possible greater risk to myself and my family, due to no longer being confident in the force protecting its staff.

All up in the air

I think it’s all over 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Advertisement

@crazyfire999 what do you mean?

It's looks like stormont could be back up and running very soon. Keep the fingers crossed lol may or not benefit us but who knows, still a step in right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

It’s hard to stay positive but everyone keep the hope alive!

we will be police officers once day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

50/50 would just add to the budgetary issue.

When the PSNI first formed and used campaigns ran like clockwork. 4-6 a year to keep up with demand.

To out it into perspective.

Say a campaign runs and 1000 people pass I.e have met standard.

Say a 40% attrition rate so you end up with 600 appointable.

Say 200 of them are Catholic and remainder non-catholic.

that means you can only recruit 400 total for that campaign.

This leave 200 people who have met the required standard. Who have been vetted unable to progress to Garnerville.

So in this time of austerity it really is a none starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

What do you mean "blemished" by their service in the RUC?

You do realise that contrary to common belief the RUC was not disbanded. It was renamed yes. But the PSNI's full legal name is The Police Service of Northern Ireland (incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary GC)

And we have had a chief con from Northern Ireland.

George Hamilton - joined the RUC 1985.

Ronnie Flanagan - joined the RUC 1970.

What exactly blemishes someone having served in the RUC?

Anyone know what this £1billion peace funding will go towards? Is any of it likely to go towards polcing/public services?

Think it’s usually for community initiatives, parks, events etc

Wishful thinking on my part lol

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Numbers are still continuing to fall drastically! Has to be some sort of intake soon. Maybe even when the new CC he/she will get a budget for recruitment.

• Advertisement

I think the vote of no confidence in DCC and COO is interesting for our campaign. COO obviously has large remit over recruitment etc and seems to speak for it at Policing Board meetings. If they both go and it’s an entirely new top leadership the new team could want to hit the ground running in fixing things, starting with reversing the downturn in headcount slightly?

Advertisement