Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

Yeh, so unless there is a return to Stormont before April, it will be April before things get moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stealth299

The Stephen Nolan comment is 100%

he did the same thing before Christmas.

that man does nothing but hold this country back

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

In fairness, I think media outlets are right to raise the questions around all of this. If anything, it actually highlights the issue and puts the pressure on. Keeping quiet wins no wars…

I see where you are coming from, but if the media had no input and there was no chirping from the sidelines, it would give the dup the space and time to make the right decision. There were some articles calling them “weak” and so on, which will do nothing bar influence them to continue to stay out of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

Agree. I think the stuff around the vote was leaked by those voting No to highlight it which made the DUP nervous. That should have just happened and then been reported on after, and we might be getting calls soon.

• Advertisement

Not to get political as I’m not politically minded in anyway when it comes to the stupid politics of Northern Ireland. I only care when it comes to decision making and money. But the DUP as a party have had too much time and space to ‘make the right decision’ lol - in fact they have done nothing but hold the country back. The Secretary of State should cut pay, release the details of the deal and show the public what’s actually at stake. Time and space lol… are you mad…. Where have you been!!!! Sure give them more time and space until 2025. In fairness to Jeffrey, even he knows he’s fucked it and is trying to get the 2/3 over the line to secure his numbers… aka Sammy and Dodds. Jeffrey trying to juggle the balls… keep his party together and get the deal over the line! Time and space ran out along time ago. Even the British government are fed up now. Every department in NI on life support… over what? Something that will never be changed. Even the sensible heads in the DUP know that now. Get back in and get the country stable…

…and just to add, Nolan is doing the PSNI and others a favour. He’s calling a spade a spade.

I meant time and space regarding the meeting on Friday. Jeffery is a weak leader and is far too easily influenced by the likes of Jamie Bryson, Nolan and the media. If everyone just shut up on Friday and stopped reporting about it and gave the dup the time to sit down and discuss the matter, I guarantee they would have gone back in. Who needs a running commentary from the media who are just grasping at strings and writing articles, which cause more damage than good.

And by the way, “the right decision” is them going back into government. Not a dup supporter by any means.

The DUP were never making any decision on Friday regardless of background noise. That will be the future unfortunately. Dodds et al won’t budge until they see EU law change. CHH and the gov know the EU door is closed. Jeffrey risks party split or collapse. He won’t want that as his legacy. Weak leader, however nobody else capable of taking on a poison chalice. Unfortunately for us, it’s a waiting game. I’m told by sources that Boutcher is ploughing on in April regardless and pledges to find money somewhere. He knows he can’t run a service with no officers. So there will certainly be recruitment in April. Thats concrete. I’m told.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day folks, if April is going to happen. That means calls could go out in next 3-5 weeks…

Post edited by Anonymous4321 on

….

@spolley new campaign? A new recruitment campaign? Where’d you hear this

There won’t be a new campaign. They will take from the current campaign. He needs to find money for the current ML as well as officer pay awards and 7% pay increase. They certainly don’t have money to pay for a fresh campaign. Unfortunately for me, I’ve heard too many stories from those on the ground. I don’t think it’s worth a pay cut anymore. I’m hoping for the MET. I completed my exams on Saturday. Better pay and conditions and a different type of **** to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stealth299

1st feb is next policing board meeting. Should be some sort of update then

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marshall6

@crazyfire999 glad you have found a solution but "better pay and conditions". Take it from someone in the know, policing in GB is at a low point and living in or around London on the met starting salary isn't easy. Expect to take home £2k per month and spend 90% of it on your living costs.

Completely understand and get it. However, in comparison to the PSNI at present. I think it’s a fair comment re conditions. I have spoken to many cops on the ground and not many of them have given me hope or influence to join. It’s pretty **** out there at the minute. You can’t sneeze without PSD or an investigation taking place and the terms around that are frightening. Rest days being cut, free labour. It’s not a good place to be in at present. Everything else on top of it. I always wanted to join the PSNI… this is my third attempt and I’m nearly in. However, i feel at present, I could end up regretting the decision with the way things currently sit. The MET isn’t perfect either by all means.

Things come in peaks and troughs and the PSNI is certainly at a low point at the minute. Thats not to say in a few years they could be back to full strength and it could be the best place to work.

I suppose it all depends on your age

New CC only in a few months too. Worth waiting to see how he improves the Service, start with getting us all in, fixing rotas and let’s go from there.

• Advertisement

Also, people from this campaign and future ones will be the ones that ease the pressure and workload, making it a better working environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jackwillsit

Email has just gone out there, good news. Confirmation of intakes (I read it as April, May and June with possibility for more depending on finances)

Huge news, fingers crossed we see I really big influx in intakes this year

• Registered Users Posts: 46 new2022scs

Two emails received, hopefully signs of movement 🙏 😬 😳

Two emails?? I only got the one!

If anyone gets invited forward for managed stages please write on here and give a general merit list position so people waiting can work out how many are being progressed

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

I was in the first intake in the april last year calls should be going out to appointable candidates approx start of march to allow for the induction day then intake sunday.

In regards to intake sizes they could possibly range from 0 - 50 depending on funding, from what i experienced last year with the budget issues the 3 intakes were 35, 35 and 17 in april may and june. But this time could be different.

Hopefully stormont gets up and running soon.

I am in the job a year this april and dont let other serving officers fool you the job is great and the whole morale thing just depends on your section, my section is great all around the same age as myself and the morale is great ... yes there is that feeling of needing more officers but you do what you can with what you have lol on a more positive note, my advice for those who get the call, GV is game i went into it thinking it was the last stage of recruitment, do what they ask dont sit on work, as soon as you get it do it lol, just play the game. If anyone would like me to answer questions about GV ask away, i will try my best to answer.

Thank you @mse2020 why do they still do the intake on Sunday if it’s not staying over? Also is induction day a night midweek?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 C3PO.

deleted

Post edited by C3PO. on

How many epaulette colours are there in GV?

What is the maximum number of people that can be the same colour?

Just trying to figure out how many student officers GV can actually facilitate at any one given time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

I think its just to get you in a day when the college is closed to give you the tour and get your kit, locker and accommodation (if you are staying that is) allocated. And yes induction for me was a weekday. I had to take time off my old job to go to it, you are there most of the day and get fitted for uniform have a few talks by the college leadership team and just general ice breaking with the rest of the intake.

The way it works is if your appointable and a place in the college opens up you could get the call regardless of merit number, for example there was merit numbers in my intake ranging from low 700 to high 800, only because other people with lower numbers werent appointable at the time the space was available. Recruitment will not wait for everyone from 0 to 50 to become appointable before offering places at the college they will select the first 50 people who are appointable regardless of merit position.

Advertisement