Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

You can apply in advance. For example, You can apply for the fast track program while in probation, if the program starts after your probation ends. If that makes sense?

With certain roles you can still remain in your district but if there is demand you can in theory also leave your district before your 3 years. It’s always going to be operational demand. The 2 year probation always needs to be completed first though.

It’s easy to get carried away but once you’re in station it’s all about learning how to do the job. GV can only do so much to prepare you but it’s controlled and not real. You’ll learn the legislation and how to apply it but you’ll learn how to use it and the best way to use it when you’re in station.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Congratulations! Two pieces of advice:

1. Join the Federation
    2. Join the Federation

You will be spoken to by a Federation rep at some point during your training, and everything will be adequately explained then, but whatever you do, join the Federation.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

Duly noted! Will sign up as soon as I can haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kaligsd65

Anymore calls gone out?

Would anyone currently serving or in GV know how it works with requesting specific shoulder numbers?

saw a while back this was a thing and just found out my grandfather’s number from RUC so would love to maintain it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 williamhicks999

Probably can’t due to data breach. Everyone has been issued with new shoulder numbers recently including some who had family numbers. Double check when you’re in with college admin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Starsky1

I’m 600ish on the list. Does anyone have any ball park figures on when I would be progressed through the psni managed stages?

just trying to plan life etc etc lol

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Psni also recruiting now for Custody Detention Officers,

Good to see things moving

Well how is everyone preparing their fitness for GV? Getting fit or staying fit?

obviously it’s a CrossFit programme, I’ve not done anything for strength (wouldn’t know a bar from a bell if it hit me) but started Couch 2 5k last year for my PCA and have kept up the running. Anyone in similar boat or feeling a kick up the backside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Was going really well with training up until november/December there and since then have really let it go lol hoping to get going again here round April so if call come in second half in year I'm not heaving round GV

• Advertisement

What training were you doing? Looking inspiration haha

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Because of the crossfire programme in GV, when I was doing strength training I was doing super sets to try and prepare for that as much as possible to keep it high intensity and then just on off days building up runs for my fitness. Wasn't anything crazy but to get my to a standard to build on when in GV

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gblue99

If you have gym access the “5,4,3,2,1” method is great for cardio and leg strength. Go between Treadmill, bike, cross trainer and step machine - starting on 5 minutes low intensity on each machine then 4 minutes each machine higher intensity working your way to 1 minute, finishing on 1 minute each machine pushing as hard as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mse2020

In terms of fitness for GV, yes its all crossfit but it majorly focuses on cardio and endurance, there is a bit of a focus on heart rate control, they you to start and stop and then start again lol. My advice would be to focus on pacing yourself correctly dont panic about strength training at this stage if your strong enough to pass the PCA then you will be fine, last bit of advice get used to the air assault bike the PT staff love it and its a nightmare lol

For context i used to be a heavy smoker before starting GV passed the PCA with 15 seconds to spare and when i finished GV i passed it with over a minute spare lol just put the effort in, do the 3 weekly workouts and you will be fine

By the way recruitment person told me the other day they think the college has put some changes in for April courses onwards. Dont know if that’s to the programme overall or just tinkering with how they do things

• Registered Users Posts: 13 officerready11

Hi everyone,

Good luck to everyone on the merit list. I’m 730-740 out of 1062 on the merit list. Anyone going through the process, do they know when I should get a call to start pre-employment stages?

Thanks

😊

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭georgie1305

Tbh, you may seem further away but with all the dropouts and stage fails, I can't imagine it taking that long.

I think something like 400+ retracted or failed stages last campaign. Probably even more this time round

Very true! We’re already 100 withdrawn/failed so if things go well this year they may take another batch of 200-300 which may include officerready11

• Registered Users Posts: 16 noonanreject

I used to be a CH and moved into dispatch maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I was with Noonan and jumped before they all got moved into Police staff! I applied for the latest CH role. God knows how long it's going to take. Things are slow. Do the CH and Dispatchers now wear uniforms? There doesn't seem to be any external recruitment for dispatchers in the pipeline, or is the majority of Cons still doing dispatch?

@noonanreject there was recruitment for dispatchers February 2022 but nothing since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

Passed my fitness test etc for the Met today. All completed…. Now for vetting. It will be interesting to see how long it takes the Met haha

There was a Recruitment campaign for Psni Call Handlers in Nov/Dec 2023

There was a recruitment drive for Psni Call Handlers in Nov/Dec 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stealth299

Only 30 on each of the courses in April/may/june

Where’d you hear this?

I was speaking to recruitment last week and twice she said April May July course instead of June so I wonder if June has been pushed back

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

With the current leaving rate of 30 per month you'd think they would make it higher to actually increase their size

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stealth299

It’s on psni what do they know someone asked. They didn’t give much other info though, just said they’re waiting for their budget for the year

• Advertisement

ah yes, was waiting on that response. Cheers @stealth299 !

Advertisement