Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Applicants - Merit List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Anonymous4321

Realistically, none of us fully know what is happening behind closed doors. For those FOI’s you need to articulate your words perfectly or you may as well ask a brick wall your question or you will receive some generic closed answer. I know a few serving officers who have all said the date is April so maybe I am reading what I have heard and being bias… However, there is no doubt a campaign will happen in this / next financial year but no use in haggling over the date as it wont affect this merit list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 l-maxxxx

i think it’s a good indicator for this merit list though because it shows how fast they expect to get through this one, if they’re bidding for money for a campaign in 24/25 financial year that means the campaign will have to run by March of next year because Northern Ireland only does 1 year budgets.

thats good news cause it means they might hope to have everyone off this course appointed by next March then?

wishful thinking but there’s method behind the madness 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9 l-maxxxx

Plus for anyone on the lower end of the merit list it might be worth reapplying for the new one as psni have history of fast tracking high performers of one campaign into a cohort from prev campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭crazyfire999

I could be wrong. But I was talking to someone (who would definitely know what is happening) last week and I’m nearly sure they were talking about drips and drabs from the 2021 campaign for the hear ahead. I mean, I could have misinterpreted them completely. I think maybe the language has been misinterpreted. I’m not sure a new campaign means an actual new campaign with new applications. I could be wrong though. I will ask that next week and I’m 100% I will get you an answer. But maybe that FOI said that back there? (I’m too tired to read it haha) - don’t be fighting with each other ye melts…#thinblueline

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kaligsd65

In other news....calls should be going out for the May course this month 👀

• Advertisement

Meant to say, I was told that PSNI are looking at other options such as transfers from other forces

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭psnaye2023

@crazyfire999 what do you mean? Does that not already exist?

Currently, it only exists for the roles of senior ranks such as ACC etc. For example, a constable in the MET would have to apply like everyone else and go through the same recruitment process, as well as go to GV too. The only benefits being; their current salary would be matched, and, if they had completed their probationary period in their current force, it would mean they might not have to complete it for the PSNI too.

Yeah that’s what I mean re rejoining as a transfer from GB. Not sure how the cost would be lower with a temporary transfer at Constable level as some training would be required ie firearms, PSP etc.

Also not possible on the level required as forces in GB are largely stretched also.

It would be a big investment to hire from GB forces. I was told that from point of application to end of probationary period it costs around £120K per officer. That obviously includes uniform, training, salary etc. So I think the PSNI would only take on the ones who they think would be permanent for a long period of time to make it worthwhile given the current budget situation they are in at the minute.

• Advertisement

Yeah PSNI don’t have the option like other forces do. Boutcher likes the idea of it. If they open recruitment transfers option, cuts out all the shite of Deloitte. If you transfer to forces in GB, I think it’s possibly an interview and a medical and then into some sort of refreshment training or whatever set up they have? (correct me if I’m wrong) - I know there are people here currently in that process. But I think it would be great.

I’m now in the position, the Met have offered me a conditional offer to join as I’ve passed everything. Just waiting for my vetting to clear and then I will get a start date. Means after I do my probation or further down the line if the option came up to transfer back to PSNI… I probably would consider it.

The Deloitte stages ensure impartiality and un bias. Could you imagine if there were no Deloitte stages and it all was handled by the PSNI, mates would put mates on the merit list and any person could get in. It’s also the law that initial recruitment stages have to be done by an external contractor.

I didn’t think Deloitte were bad this time around. tbh. We got ML positions within 3 months of AC. Lot of previous campaigns were waiting almost a year, some were progressed to managed stages before finding out their position

Yh the only reason this campaign has taken this length of time is because of politics

Oh yeah for sure haha. It’s definitely needed for the normal Joe bloggs campaign. Not sure if that’s needed for the option of transfers from other forces. I don’t see the sense of an officer with 10 years or more experience having to complete Deloitte stages of recruitment. Whereas an interview and medical would surely deem if they are the right fit for the PSNI.

Its all built into the Patton Report so I think its just hard to work around that in the sense of transfers.

Also do the Psni really need to rely on transfers or would it purely be for the benefit of serving officers in GB who wanted to join?

The 2 most previous campaigns had / have ML of around 1000 ish and the 2020 campaign saw 550 ish officers go to GV. If they were able to do that annually or every 2 years they would be flying.

It all comes down to money and even if transfers were made available that would still cost money and have to be built into their budget so would they even benefit off it really?

Personally ,I think its good that everyone has to go through the same process to join. If some officer from GB transferred over and only had to complete an interview and additional training could the Psni confidently say that they meet the vetting criteria, fitness requirements etc. It ensures they know that everyone that goes to GV is of the standard they set.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spudboy1999

Hello there!! I’ve received a date for my PCA and I need to change it, are we allowed to ring the number on the email as it’s easier to organise it that way instead of emailing. Thanks!

By the way, on the merit list I’m 330-350. Vetting has been sent away and PCA now being organised. Thankfully now seems to be coming along… I’ve since joined the MET 🤣

Any queries you can just ring 101 and ask to speak to external recruitment @spudboy1999 , I’ve always found that to be fastest but always follow up in writing just in case…

Are you leaving MET to come home?

Okay mate have you ever had any issues with doing that? Didn’t realise you could ring 101 and make enquiries that way.

Aye, definitely gonna leave and come home. The MET is great and the training is brilliant but home is home. I know of a few people who have left the MET to go home and have said the PSNI is no where near as good but as you can imagine the resources the MET has is no where near what the PSNI have. But home is home!

Thanks for replying!

No no issues I think everyone’s had to call them once or twice for this that or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ynwa22

Has anyone had calls for May or do we think calls going out this month?

I think calls definitely will go out. They’re obviously keen on getting guarantees and reserves in place and a date is set for May already so no reason to hold off. I suspect they’re aware people will need a bit more notice after 2.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

For Aprils intake, I think someone said the had a call around 7/8th Feb, then @psnaye2023 around the 14th for reserve, with this Friday being the 8th, we could expect calls from this week if it's something similar to Aprils timeline...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kaligsd65

Recruitment had confirmed to me that calls would go out this month for May course - however they wouldn't let me know a rough date unfortunately - we can only sit and stare at the phone hoping it rings haha

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unknown117

what other rough numbers on the merit list have had vetting or PCA dates come through?👍🏽

Submitted my vetting application for the Met on Thursday eve. Got word today it’s now being progressed 😬

@Unknown117 think it’s up to around 550 from what we’ve seen here

@crazyfire999 goodluck. If you have any questions give me a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

@spudboy1999 I’m not too far behind you - ML 360-400.

I had a call from recruitment last week advising my vetting papers would be sent within the next couple weeks.

ref PCA, what sort of timeframe did they give you? Weeks or months? Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 officerready11

Hi everyone I’m 700-730 on the Merit List, does anyone have any idea when I should get an email to commence PSNI managed stages? Losing patience at this point 🤣

Advertisement