Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World SENIORS snooker Championship 2022

Options
  • 03-05-2022 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭

Ok it is the time for the serious stuff now. We had the warm up.

‘To be held at the Crucible Threatre, Sheffield from 4-8 May 2022, an all-star field featuring no fewer than four world champions will contest the most prestigious World Seniors title of the season.’

David Lilley vs Bob Chaperon/Philip Williams

Michael Holt vs Darren Morgan/Patrick Wallace

Ken Doherty vs Ahmed Aly/Wayne Cooper

Stephen Hendry vs Lee Walker/Tony Knowles

Peter Lines vs Michael Judge/Gary Filtness

John Parrott vs Nigel Bond/Stuart Watson

Jimmy White vs Maria Catalano/Wael Talaat

Joe Johnson vs Rory McLeod/Frank Sarsfield

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ronnie's cousin in it!!

Dang, though - I'm going to be away for the whole thing 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Is this going to be on Eurosport?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It does not seem to be -

BBC Red Button, BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app

So if don’t have the red button will have to get a good VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Konny Rool

I thought Joe Johnson had retired from the seniors last year 😁

Predictions:

David Lilley vs Bob Chaperon/Philip Williams

Michael Holt vs Darren Morgan/Patrick Wallace

Ken Doherty vs Ahmed Aly/Wayne Cooper

Stephen Hendry vs Lee Walker/Tony Knowles

Peter Lines vs Michael Judge/Gary Filtness

John Parrott vs Nigel Bond/Stuart Watson

Jimmy White vs Maria Catalano/Wael Talaat

Joe Johnson vs Rory McLeod/Frank Sarsfield

David Lilley vs Bob Chaperon/Philip Williams

Michael Holt vs Darren Morgan/Patrick Wallace : Will go with Paddy Wallace here - was playing some decent stuff in this comp last year from what I remember, and Holty to beat whoever wins.

Ken Doherty vs Ahmed Aly/Wayne Cooper: These two of Ken's potential opponents don't ring any kind of bells.

Stephen Hendry vs Lee Walker/Tony Knowles

Peter Lines vs Michael Judge/Gary Filtness

John Parrott vs Nigel Bond/Stuart Watson

Jimmy White vs Maria Catalano/Wael Talaat: Never heard of either of the latter too.

Joe Johnson vs Rory McLeod/Frank Sarsfield

• Advertisement

Just looked at exchange odds and Patrick Wallace is the only one of my picks out of the matches quoted above that is anywhere near even money 😊 So no massive props if he does prevail in a match where the Welshman is slight favourite.

The rest look like penalty kicks. Hope it's on telly. First match With Tony Knowles and Lee Walker due off at seven.

Interesting to see Knowles cueing does not put chin on his cue. Walker one frame up at the moment.

Was busy watching other sport on telly - will try catch a few of the rest of the matches.

You did not miss much Knowles put up no fight. Was whitewashed 3-0 by Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Didn't Ronnie win this on Monday evening and the cass of 92 reached the semifinals, sure felt like it was the seniors! In all seriousness the senior world champion might be younger than the actual world champion, even the average age of the semi finalists in both tournaments will not be that different. Makes you wonder about the future of the main tour in 5/10 years time.

• Advertisement

Best of five - which is good. Plenty of time and chances for all to give a good account. 70% sure these early forays were best of three in this comp last year. Then again I was wrong about the Bradford Potting Postman - that's my nickname for Joe Johnson :D

Bob was a pro back in the day - don't remember him at all. Philip Williams a new one on me as well. The Welsh are certainly well represented in this!

If ya put Nigel Bond, Mark Williams and Darren Morgan into a melting pot Bob Chaperon would probably come out.. EDIT: Put JV into the mix an all 😃

Philip Williams is like a cross between Dennis Taylor and Phil Mitchell 😃

hardly anyone in the crowd - I thought that red of Williams' into corner pocket a few shots ago deserved a round of applause - was stretching on it and a thin cut as well

Great escape by Philip!!

Standard can only go up, this mightn't be over for maybe 2 more hours! Philip should win 3-0, Bob can't really compile a break - not yet anyway.

Good shot by Bob on black to win that frame.

this mightn't be over for maybe 2 more hours!

almost bang on 😃 that was a hard watch, some good 'single ball pots' about the main highlight; the safety/snooker exchanges looked division 1 at times tbf!

WD Philip

Decent quality match there. Was hoping that Maria would win that final frame though.

Watched 1 match and a bit of Michael Judge's match; tough old going that one match I watched, with scarcely a break of over twenty, with 40 being the highest break between Philip Williams and Bob Chaperon. Will hope Lee Walker beats Hendry. Hard to see 'Krafty Ken' lose against Wayne Cooper (who I've never seen play - is an amateur I think).. Judge's conqueror Gary Filtness takes on Peter Lines, so perhaps Gary Filtness can cause an upset in the last of the round two matches.

Just tuned in, and David Lilley down 1-0 atm against the aforementioned Philip Williams. Lilley still favourite to win that encounter.

Walker playing well v Hendry. Looks like 2-0 up. Walker 60 plus break second frame. Baring snookers 2-0.

Walker wins impressive 3-0. 49 break third frame. Hendry had a counter chance but broke down.

• Advertisement

What A SHOT !!! GO ON JIMBO

If Jimmy clears up from here, it'll have been one of the best sub 50 breaks you're likely to see all year - he's gonna do it!

FANTASTIC!! Didn't need black ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bob Chaperon won the British Open in 1990. Just beat Alex in the final. When the British Open was a fairly big ITV tournament in March before the Crucible.

It was considered the third biggest event on the tour for a few years after the UK, the prize money put up by Dulux was tasty enough. 75 grand to the winner. 70 grand for winning the Masters.

That final marked the last big hurrah of Alex's career. Just into the 90s he was still competative, but had his melt down in the Crucible a month later when he lost to Steve James in the first round. Then he got banned and that was it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Jimmy looking strong vs Rory McLeod. Hendry saying it's the best he's seen Jimmy play in a long while.

Maybe turning three score has Jimmy focussed on winning back the seniors title.

I didn’t see Ken’s match v Walker QF. But he lost 4-2. No surprise I suppose as Walker seemed like the form player.

A Jimmy White wash over Peter Lines. 4-0. Convincing as the scoreboard suggests.

Jimmy in the final @7:00

Interview with Rob Walker Jimmy said he was just delighted to play well two matches in a row.

Other semi final topsy turvy. Lilley should have won 4-0. But Walker has it back to a 3-3 deciding frame job. Frame 6 was on the black was nervy

Walker knocks out defending champ Lilley 4-3. Only less than an hours break until Walker plays White.

The difference between Jimmy's cueball and Lee Walker's is stark, Jimmy's still got it !Will deserve to be 3-1 up at interval going on pure class!!

Gwan Jim

• Advertisement

Frame 4 still going . Jimmy with advantage on points. Very drawn out frame this - good red by Walker there, has half a chance. Misses black 😮

Advertisement