Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Crankset Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Hi,

While this does look to be correct I think it may have some issues with shifting. This crankset on ebay was made for a boost hub as indicated in the title and in the description:

• With a 51.8 mm (boost) chainline for use in conjunction with 148 mm O.L.D.

The Carrera titan has the rear hub size listed as:

Alloy, 10x135mm quick release, 8/9/10 speed freehub body

While it will fit in the bottom bracket I think, there may be shifting problems. I'll see if I can find a reasonable replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 russtini

ah so thats what boost means!

Found another on amazon thats non boost:

Would this do the job?

Appreciate the help😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Hmm, no I don't think so as your bottom bracket itself contains the spindle. In this case a square tapered one like so:

So if you want to move off a square tapered bottom bracket a different type like BSA may be able to be fitted but at this point I'm unsure as to what to advise you to do.

My searches of the sites I know didn't turn up any results that were suitable at a reasonable price I'd pay. Tapered, 2x and correct chain length.

Getting a part that fits and works as expected does seem to be troublesome even while looking at chinese websites. Your best bet is probably to go to a bikeshop and they can better advise you what will fit and halfords may even have replacements for things like this.

This will avoid you buying an item that does not fit correct. Not to mention the crank puller tool itself to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 russtini

OK I was worried that this may happen - theres a very good reason why local bikeshop is busy

Advertisement