Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power to shed from floodlight possible?

Options
  • 03-05-2022 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to get a garden office as I work from home and the kids school holidays are proving an utter nightmare.

We do have a power socket on the back wall of the house however the main sewer pipe for our estate runs underneath and across our garden.

I'm afraid of digging a deep trench for an underground electrical conduit for obvious reasons as it would have to go across the line of the sewer pipe.

The main garden is raised about half a meter from the back patio, there's a little steep grassy slope from the patio to the garden. Would it be possible for an electrician to use the power that goes to the back garden floodlight and run that across to the back of the new shed, given the gardens height above the patio and connecting to the shed higher up I'm hoping it would give safe clearance, is this likely to be a runner?, any suggestions?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

That's a complete non runner for a number of reasons. You'll need a dedicated supply from the fuseboard. Maybe ask an electrician to give you a quote to get power to the shed? He/She will be able to tell you how it can be done. It's likely to cost a good bit, depending on how easy the cable run is.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Absolutely not. You can't do that. Multiple reasons.

You have to run a cable from the breaker board. The cable should be put into a duct and brought up into the garden room and terminate in a sub-board.

While laying the duct, I'd suggest you might as well lay 2 ducts because it is as easy lay 2 ducts into a trench as lay just 1. Into the second duct you can draw a CAT 6 ethernet cable that'll connect your computer (or a garden room wifi router) back to the ethernet port on your main modem router.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

...and do the labour of digging the inevitable trench yourself to keep costs-down. You could even lay the duct and run the armored cable into it (if the electrican is ok with that) and or go for the direct-bury option if you feel you don't need a duct (with additional CAT 6). All of this would need to be agreed with the electrician beforehand.

Advertisement