Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Sebastian or Munich

Options
  • 03-05-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Am considering this as a follow up to Dublin, or perhaps Munich (Oct 9th) as a precursor to Dublin. Never done either before, but Munich is slightly easier to get to (direct flights). San Sebastian seems to be Dublin -> Bilbao then get a bus, which is fine too.

Anyone signed up to either of them? Any recommendations or alternative options for someone who wants to take advantage of being marathon-ready around that time of year and able to travel to Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Amsterdam Ocober 16th, very flat & fast by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Already looked into that - date isn't ideal as it's that little bit closer to the DCM. Aside from that though, the cost of accommodation was comparatively way higher. I roughly estimate for flights, entry, accommodation etc that San Sebastián and Munich are coming in at roughly 400 euro. Amsterdam was rapidly heading towards 700+.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

don't know where you're looking in amsterdam but i'm doing the half, and flights were €90, and i got a hotel for €240 which is about 2 mile from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Valencia marathon is on Dec 4th.

Flights direct with Ryanair.. meant to be fast and flat..

You did well, there's little to nothing within that distance and that price range now. Ibis hotel at the airport looks ok but according to Google it's over an hour walking to it - don't fancy that on the morning of the marathon.

• Advertisement

Was going to reply saying there are no direct flights (Skyscanner) but I checked Ryanair directly and there are but only on the Friday -> Monday. Should have also said I'm trying to keep nights away to max 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Did you look at the trams? when looking at previous races there, someone had mentioned they biked it down to the start line

I didn't but will, all other boxes are ticked by this marathon so I'll look into bikes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Cycled to the Start in Amsterdam in 2012, had hired bike for 3 days. Very Easy. Brilliant race

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

I signed up for Munich, I used to live there for a little while, it is great city and I have been back there on a few occasions. Great public transport system. The idea of finishing up in the olympic stadium is novel.

The race profile looks flat enough, the city has enough sites to keep the mind occupied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement