Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing images to Graphic Designer - DPI Issue

Options
  • 03-05-2022 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I provided some images to a graphic designer to undertake some print work for me. The instructions stated to provide images at 300dpi.

I had to get some image manipulation performed by a third party. One image provided to him was a scan 7200x4800 (1200dpi). The other image was taken from the digital master from a professional photographer and was 3600x4800 (300dpi).

When I got the images back from the third party I didn't realise that when I downloaded them from the website (PeoplePerHour) that the dpi had been reduced to 96dpi.

I unwittingly provided these images at 96dpi to the graphic designer and they did not inform me that the dpi was insufficient. They performed their task, printed the output and sent the product to me. Result is awful.

The graphic designer did tell me that an initial image (copy of the image from professional photographer) was unsuitable. When I provided the new image from the digital master the warning was removed from the proofs for checking. No warning about quality was noted for the scan image. So I thought everything was fine.

Even using the 96dpi images I provided them I was able to print out photos to a much higher standard using a HP 3070A printer. I was also able to go online and change the dpi easily too. I've asked the third party to respond to why I've only been able to get the image as 96dpi and am awaiting a response.

Should the graphic designer have been aware that the image was only 96dpi and should they have checked for it being 300dpi if that was a constraint?

I'm really annoyed about this as they removed the warning and did not mention the dpi issue. It's a memorial card for my father so there is a bit more bite with it than if it was any other old job. Of course, they are putting the blame solely on me.

Who is right here and should they have made me aware of the dpi issue? Should they have been able to alter the image to 300dpi themselves?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Also - the graphic designer was using Snip to crop the photos. Does that have an adverse effect on quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm not a designer, so this is just my opinion, I maybe be wrong.

Is it a graphic designer or a memorial company? The latter might not have a "graphic designer" who would know the difference. Any memorial place I've dealt with have limited design skills.

There might be something in the terms and conditions about who is responsible for the source images. You can't upsize a 96 to 300. You can't add quality. They should be able to swap the images easy enough. Though reprinting will obviously cost the same again.

Depends on the size that was copped.

It's a memorial company - I was dealing with a member of the 'design team'. So I'd say they would be a designer of some level - moreso than me.

They state:

How To Copy Your Old Photo's

To ensure the best possible print results we strongly advise and recommend that customers use photos no lower than 300dpi. In short the higher the DPI (dots per inch), the sharper the image will be. You get more detail and greater resolution from an image with higher DPI. A lower DPI will produce an image with fewer dots in printing, meaning lower quality, possibly blurring or pixelation. 

By Scanner

Scan at 300dpi (res)

Scan at the same size 

Set to high quality Jpeg

By Camera

Take the photo square on

No flash with good light & focus

At the maximum file size

And:

5. Is the quality of the photo I supply important?

Yes, we strongly suggest providing a suitable high resolution photograph 300 dpi or above for best print results. It's easy to check the properties of any photo, if you are still unsure then feel free to email us for advice prior to placing an order.

Can I alter the images to 300dpi myself - or do I need to get the person who provided them back to me at 96dpi to do something?

Really need to get this resolved.

You need to get the originals at 300dpi.

• Advertisement

I've asked the git twice and he's not responding.

I presume those websites which change the dpi are a con?

If you mean where you download the images. No idea never used them. I assume they do it to save space, speed up the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You can increase the dpi but the pixilation remains the same. Before printing the designer should be running a flightcheck preflight for print that would flag low res imagery, missing fonts, weird colour profiles etc.. But at the same time, he probably assumed you supplied him with the best quality images you could find and just went ahead with them.

Should I have told the guy on people per hour that I needed them back at least at 300dpi?

Should I have expected him to return me images at a substantially reduced dpi count? I sent them at 1200dpi (best scanner could do) and 300dpi. Returned at 96dpi.

Bollox isn't replying and I've given feedback too. Reading. Whole thing is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

I'm a designer, as a designer he should have informed you again if the image was too poor for print, but he used the images supplied to him so he is not at fault, unfortunately for you.

You can use this site https://letsenhance.io to improve the quality of the image but it depends how poor the original image is whether it will be enough. Just make sure you request a proof firstly and always double check with the designer that the images are suitable for print, at least then if they say yes then the onus is on the designer to reprint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement