Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer hitch height

• 04-05-2022 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a new 8x5 livestock trailer (current one is single axel) for behind the car and I'm wondering if the ball hitch height on the car will be high enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

Will the car be up to spec itself to tow a 8x5 livestock trailer?

I witnessed a fella with a 1.6 partner van and 8x5 box and he reddened it taking off on a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭clonagh

1.5 tonne towing capacity, trailer weighs about 770kg so even with 10no. 50kg lambs it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Most of the 8 by 5s seem to be set up for cars, I often pulled the 12 by 5 with the car no problem with sheep, I wouldn't like to do it too often though. Most cars are too highly geared in reverse when you go to reverse a trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hard question to answer.

Regulation is between 350 and 420mm

However often the trailer and vehicle don't match and you see more weight on one axle which isn't good for the trailer or the towing experience

I spoke with Nugents and they said it sholud be fine but they have a kit to alter the height if needs be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes. Correct. Enjoy the new trailer!

Thanks. Hope the lamb price is good this year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Easy to change the spacers on hitch to adjust the height. I only towed a nugent 8x5 with a car once years ago and compared to the Williams thought it was a pig of a yoke.

Think they may have modified the drawbar since.

Advertisement