Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunq enters ireland

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No you automatically receive an Irish IBAN on the main account. All sub accounts will also get an Irish IBAN by default, but you can also set up local currency accounts which have other nations IBANs if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I just set up an account today and was also given a NL IBAN and not an IE one. I haven’t messed around with sub accounts or anything yet, that is just on the main account.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dingaan

Likewise. At the start I thought that I maybe needed to mess around with the settings. I sent a message to support too but no response yet.

I just noticed I’ve been invoiced for 25 IBANs at €19.99. Don’t know how a I managed that and waiting on support to get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you never had a bunq account and you sign up as Irish Resident than you should automatically get an IE IBAN.

If you had a previous bunq account you need to go via settings and activate the Irish IBAN feature, your account is not automatically converted, and your future accounts are getting an Irish IBAN.

So if you are new to bunq and your billing address is in Ireland, you need to contact support, there might be something wrong with your profile.

• Advertisement

That would mean that you currently have at least 26 sub accounts (as 25 are free on easy money), that must look horrible in the account list on the app.

Hopefully it's a billing mistake.

Support confirmed that the Irish IBAN is not available on the EasyBank plan and that I need to upgrade.

I never had an account before. I don't know if I made a bollox of it or if it's a billing mistake. I set up my account yesterday, got my wife to set up one too. Chose the Easy Banking plan for both accounts to try it out. I was going to go with Easy Money and use it as our only account, but didn't want to pay two €9 subs a month so will just use it for wages coming in, direct debits going out and continue to use Revolut for day to day spending as I'm currently doing.

I tried sharing the default account with my wife but couldn't so set up a joint account and it set up fine and gave an Irish IBAN. When that was set up I removed the original NL account I got that couldn't be shared. Support got back to me this morning asking me to upgrade or remove the extra IBAN and they will refund me the €19. I've only one IBAN on the account now though so waiting on them to advise.

I never received anything in the app to advise I needed to upgrade my plan or that I would be charged.

edit Support was just back on to me there, it's because there's an IBAN on both accounts. You're only able to have 1 IBAN between both accounts. So if you want a joint account you both pay €3 a month and get 1 IBAN, but if you have separate accounts you still pay €3 a month but you both get an IBAN. Doesn't really make sense to me, especially as I didn't see a way to set up a joint account without the app giving both users their own IBAN when setting up the account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'm nearly 4 weeks with them

Direct debits/standing orders and subscriptions all went through. Incoming payments instant or within a few hours.

Push notifications on all payments.

Mastercard "credit" card. All the advantages of a credit card but no bill as it works like a debit card . Very handy if a hotel or car hire company insists on a credit card as opposed a debit card.

All in all very happy and worth the €3/month

You might want to go back and question that.

If you have an Irish Address as your primary than on Easy Bank plan you will get an Irish IBAN.

Several other people on Easy bank plan (2.99€ month) have gotten Irish IBAN's.

And support documents also call out that you get an Irish IBAN.

• Advertisement

Bunq does not really do "join current accounts", you can share sub accounts between multiple active bunq customers (all with their own plan) but if you want a real "join current account" then the offering is not for you.

At least support offered you a refund for the specific scenario that caused you to get billed. I did not even know that it was possible on easy bank to get sub accounts. There is an X in the price list so this is strange.

I'm on the €9 a month plan and after a very rocky start with them I'm very happy now.

Not using it yet for wages or direct debits, but just for spending tracking. The sub accounts, including joint sub accounts is what set it apart from Revolut for me. Tracking spending is just so easy.

I wish you could add Digicards to Apple Pay though.

I opened another chat about it and sent on an array of screenshots confirming this point. Let's see!! If I get more pushback then I will cancel the account.

Also just to say while it's not perfect IMO the Bunq UI makes more sense than the Revolut one, but the social features are useless here.

I still don't understand what the "Friends" tab is for, that brings up the map. I am guessing this feature may look better in NL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Are you thinking of the Free "Easy savings" account?

The Easy Bank 100% has Irish IBAN - I have it - starts with IE27BUNQ

https://www.bunq.com/benefits

Definitely Easy Bank. No idea why I was assigned the Dutch ISIN in that case.

Hopefully a different agent picks up the ticket and gets it sorted.

I could be wrong but I think the joint account and sub accounts are two different things. I think what I ended up with was a joint account, and my wife had another account which was shared with me as a sub account. They both appeared differently in the app. The joint account showed at the top of the app for both of us, and the sub account she created showed up below it, under her name on my app but beside the joint account on her app.

I also noticed the joint account has us both as Co-owners and we can't remove each other, on the sub account she shared with me she was able to remove my access and then delete the account.

While getting it sorted support told me both users don't need to be on the same plan. I could have Easy Money and share sub accounts with my wife who has an Easy Bank account. Just waiting on them to 100% confirm this for me as it was only said by the agent in passing when I asked did we both need an Easy Money account.

There is a joint sub-account in which up to 10 people become the legal owner of the account. You declare the people own it during the creation process. Once owners you cannot modify, but each owner can close the whole account.

There is also a connect account in which someone shares an existing sub-account with you. That, however, only means you get access to it and the person stays the legal owner of the account. So, at any time, the other user can remove your access as they still own the account Soley.

Different things with different legal status, and you had both account types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Disabling interests is what I did. They only pay 0.09% on the first 10000 euros: https://www.bunq.com/benefits/massinterest

This is a maximum of 9 euros per year. Once you deduce DIRT there would be less than 6 euros left. I thought it is not worth my while filling this with Revenue for just a few euros.

On other question I have though: since this is technically an account with a foreign bank ()in spite of the Irish IBAN), are we not suppose to let Revenue know about it, and what is the process dot do this?

• Advertisement

I finally got it sorted by getting in contact with a knowledgeable rep. First, they had to change a setting in the background. I then had to close the Dutch sub-account and open a new sub-account. I have an Irish IBAN now starting in IE22 BUNQ.....

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

I received 10 cents interest last month on my Bunq savings account. I really have to file this with Revenue next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭spuddy

Can anyone who has the Easy Savings Account confirm if they have the option to activate/deactivate MassInterest?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

I went into the transaction list for the savings account and then tapped the interest I received. There I saw the Manage Freedom of Choice option.

Can I ask them to take back the 10 cents I earned to avoid adding it to my tax return?

Did anyone manage to add the IBAN to VHI claims? I keep getting an unexpected error message.

In this specific case, if 10 cents is everything you received and interests are now disabled, I’d say you can safely ignore it. Unless my memory is failing me, I think the online tax return form for PAYE taxpayers only allows to input whole euro amounts anyway (not cents), so you might not even be able to file such a small amount.

But yes as a general rule if you receive interest from an non-irish bank which isn’t deducing DIRT automatically, you are meant to file those with Revenue and pay tax on them (unless you are non-domiciled and are not remitting the interest amount into Ireland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

Looking for advice here. KBC will be closing my account and I didn’t want to have to fully rely on Revolut. Also, Vodafone seem to think I’m the only person to have ever tried to use a foreign IBAN so i figured I’d give Bunq a go.

I signed up today for the one month trial. It automatically added me to the Easy Green plan. If I switch plan to the €2.99/month plan, will it cancel the trial? Is ordering your card free? It says it is free in the app but online I read it’s €9.99. I’m not fussed either way but would like to know others experience. The MasterCard Credit seems to be the way to go albeit a prepaid credit card.

Also, I read above some were issued Dutch IBAN’s. I was issued 3 IE IBANs for Main, Bills and Travel.

Lastly, for those using Bunq a few weeks, how does it compare to KBC etc?

I’ve made the move from KBC to bunq, and very happy overall. Irish IBANs, joint accounts, and the fact that I trust them more with large deposits than Revolut makes it a valid option as a main bank for me whereas Revolut isn’t. The App is better than the KBC one in my opinion, although I didn’t have any particular complaint about the KBC. SEPA instant, the fact that one physical card can be quickly reassigned to any account in the App, and foreign currency accounts are a nice bonus on top of what I was getting with KBC.

One issue to report though: the direct debit I setup with Vodafone didn’t work (the website let me input the bunq Irish IBAN and confirmed the DD was setup, but the payment failed). Vodafone says it was declined by my bank, and bunq says they have no track record of Vodafone ever presenting any direct debit mandate to them related to this account, so I have a feeling this is going to be a long battle if I want this resolved (probably a battle I don’t want to fight so I might just pay my Vodafone bills with the card as I saw they offer an option to do it on the website). I suspect Vodafone’s systems are just not able to handle bunq IBANs and customer service is clueless, but I would be curious to know if it works for you or anyone else.

I'm also a Vodafone customer and it worked for me with the same steps followed in your post. I got a notification on the app last week asking to approve the DD and the payment went through.

• Advertisement

One thing to call out, that I had totally forgotten about, is that because the Bunq cards are pre-paid credit cards you cannot get cash back in shops using them.

This affected me at the weekend, it's the first time in years I've ever tried to get cash back as I generally never carry cash.

Advertisement