Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have become unemployable, what should I do?

Options
  • 05-05-2022 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all. Kind of stuck in a rut at the moment. About 7 years ago I moved home from the UK and took a job in the civil service. For a few years I was the manager of a busy helpdesk in a department, and then I was promoted to HEO and took a job in another department. While I was there we outsourced our IT to elsewhere, and then I basically didn't have any work to do. Then covid came and before I knew it I was at home for months on end with only menial tasks to be done. I eventually managed to get another job in a different department, which is known for being busy and is always in the news, as an IT Project Manager, that was the title anyway. Anyway roll on 5 months into the job and I have no idea what my role is or what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm just thrown bits and pieces of non IT related work here and there. Typical civil service, I am just sick to death of it.

So I want to get out and into the real world. My job in the UK was working for a multinational working with clients assigned to me as their technical support advisor. I would help them set up complex digital marketing campaigns using our proprietary software there. I have a diploma in Computing (3 year course) from like 20 years ago, and am going into the final year of a part time BA in Information Systems Management in September. It's an ok course but I still feel like it's not teaching me anything that I could really apply.

I am 41 now and it's really getting me down that I don't know what I can actually offer to the jobs market. I have no idea what kind of jobs I am qualified for, if any. I want to change this.

Does anyone have any advice on what the best steps are to try and progress career wise? I am comfortable enough money wise.

My partner of a couple of years is about as successful as you can get in her field (medicine) and I just see how well she's doing and it makes me think I wasted my life in dead end jobs.

Does anyone have any skills or courses they could recommend? Or is there anyone I could talk to about my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you have a permanent pensionable steady job, and presumably a commensurate salary. that's your starting point. you don't like your job, because the work is unsatisfactory - fair enough.

you would like to get a job that is more rewarding. And your in the final year of a BA in Information Systems.

My advice is finish the qualification then do a more targeted course in whatever direction you want to go. For instance you could do a cert if IT security, ITIL , or cloud computing etc. If you like the idea of project mgmt. you could do something like Scrummaster CSM. Personally i rather being the tech guy, not the project manager guy/gal because that's what i enjoy. But what do you enjoy?

You are in a great situation because you are in a good position, with a good title in yourr current role. Once your have your BA many avenues are open to you. your not going to land a job as (for example) senior systems administrator straight off the bat. But you could do your Microsoft exams, or Linux exams and head in that direction and get a job lower on the rung and get experience/exposure. If you want to be a software developer - well you get the point. If you know what your ideal job is - you can work your way in that direction.

If you don't know, examine what kind of tasks you like and try to match that to a role. Don't be afraid to try out many roles- like helpdesk etc. to get a taste of them. Actually i think everyone in support roles should do at least 6 months on the service desk to understand how the business they are working in ticks over before moving on to more senior roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CrimeaRiver

I actually worked on loads of service desks around the world . I have good interpersonal skills and was always commended on how well I deal with people on the phone. That kind of work pays feck all though and you burn out eventually doing the same thing. I think I could maybe work in that kind of environment but not dealing with customers all day long, I've done my time.

Yeah I guess I am in a good place to progress from here. It just hit home recently, as my partner has opportunities in London at the moment in consultancy and it made me realise I have absolutely no idea what kind of work, if any, I could do over there. When I moved there previously I was younger and was happy with the 35k salary or whatever they gave me, but I'd really struggle to live on that now, especially over there.

The scrum thing is interesting, I may take a look at that. I guess I have to get the degree out of the way first. Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

OP - my world fell apart in about 2012 when after being self employed for the best part of 30 years my business closed and my long term relationship ended. After faffing around for a couple of years i got a temporary contract with a company as a client liaison during a major office refurbishment they were undertaking. At the end of the 6 month contract they offered me a permanent position as their facilities manager on the basis that i would get a qualification in the field. And so at 54 I started a Level 6 course in TUD. I then went on to do a BSC in Quantity Surveying and all going to plan I will complete my Masters in Project Management in August at 61! I’m still with the same company but my role has expanded significantly over the years - I really enjoy my job!

The point that I’m trying to make is that you’re still young and have lots of time to start again doing something that you enjoy! Don’t settle for a job that you hate just because it pays the bills!

And I would agree with the poster who suggested a PM qualification. Project Managers are in demand, well paid and your interpersonal skills will be a huge asset in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 firminjo

You sound like a moaner, blaming the CS for your problems ,your on over 60k a yr and doing self admitted , sweet **** all for it haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

OP have you tried driving the work yourself and setting teh agenda? Being proactive and going to your manager and saying "I want to work on X" or "I have come up with project proposals on Y can I move forward wit them?"

Once you get past CO grade you need to be using iniative and developing work yourself. Particularly in a remote context - managers don't have time to be spoonfeeding professionals with detailed work plans, tasks and instructions, it needs to be driven by the individual. Try and think "what can I do here to change the situation?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd be careful about comparisons with your partner, not great to dwell on that. Everyone has different strengths and opportunities, luck. That's just how it goes. I'd have thought you're in a pretty good place, take advantage of what you can out of the civil service to progress some qualifications in areas that interest you. Or as stated above, be more proactive in seeking more rewarding roles there. On personal note, have you children or planning any? If so, you could be in ideal place to be the stay at home parent.

Then there's self employment but that's a whole different gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sounds you are having a bit of mid life crisis. Which can happen if you are busy then switch direction and or become less busy. I think you are in a good position to reassess and recharge the batteries and take some time to plan what's next.

Finish the degree. I would also look at qualifications like ITIL, Prince 2, not that value them particularly but the industry does and I think that even if you don't agree with them they get you looking at the bigger picture.

As others have said look around at other projects, network with other people and try to help on other projects.

Fair play to you. I'm open to doing a masters too next year when I finish degree. Inspirational stuff from you. I might try and look into the PM stuff a bit more alright.

Yes I'm kind of doing my best on that. There's a new technical architect starting on Monday for this area I'm involved in, and apparently he will be my new boss and new stuff will come out of that. So maybe there's hope in the role after all but I really need to get my sh*t together so that I can be employable in the private sector too, I feel like I've wasted the last few years and want to make up for it.

I did the foundations of ITIL and Prince2 years ago, and tbh I can't remember anything about them! I have started doing tutorials on Power BI in my spare time lately and it seems like a powerful tool, I think it wouldn't harm to have some skills in that area.

• Advertisement

Yeah she wants a kid or kids alright, even though we're kicking on, I actually think the fact that she is flat out doing 12 hour days etc. means my more flexible timeframes are appealing to her given I'd have to do all the parenty stuff, yikes. I try not to compare myself and she has known I am who I am since we met, it's kind of hard sometimes when your partner is on well over 6 figures and at the top of her game though, but yeah I wouldn't really care if she had some menial job like mine and I don't think she cares either, she's aware I'm not happy with current situation though and encourages me to change things.

Oh I'm not on over 60k by the way, that's for the helpful gentleman above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭standardg60

AKA 'would you ever keep quiet, you're ruining it for the rest of us'

OP as mentioned above could be mid life crisis thoughts, happens to all of us, bear that in mind. Worst thing to do is make rash decisions, 41 is nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,923 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You sound like you failed in the open competitions...bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭standardg60

'she wants'

Hmm

Is there anything else you're unhappy with OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well if you both agree on it, maybe there's part of your solution. Remember that raising well adjusted and happy kids is the most important job for the benefit of society. Someone has to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jjnaas

You're not married, ''she wants'' children, she feels she's ''cracking on'', you're unhappy at work, feeling a bit down after your life in general, and have shown no interest here yourself in having children or in marriage/combining finances/building a life where she's the breadwinner and parenting is 'yikes'

DO NOT have children before you have worked on yourself (speak to a professional if needed) and you know what you want professionally and personally. If your partner gets pregnant soon I fear you'll be that lad stuck in the CS, unhappy with everything and letting life happen to you - she wants/herself says/herself is doing etc I've seen it many times and throw in the partner outearning you and the feelings that stir up and you could end up in a very tricky place.

Ok Dr Phil. Life is good, I've never been happier, I just wouldn't mind doing something I'm a bit more into and was looking for advice RE career options.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Hi. 

I am being bullied in work in the Civil Service and cannot stand my unit anymore. It is affecting my confidence and my sanity. I need to get out. The thing is I’m only 1 year 8 months in the AO grade.

How do I get out or get a transfer outside of Dublin or even anywhere at this stage. It needs to be outside of Dublin as I am not paying over half my salary for this kind of carry on which is rampant in the Civil Service.

Advertisement