Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COD] Why does Activision keep putting skill based matchmaking in their games when everyone hates it

Options
  • 05-05-2022 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

SBMM has been in casual playlists for every COD game since at least BLOPS4, and from what I've seen the response has been overwhelmingly negative. Personally, I absolutely HATE it. COD is by design a casual game that rewards long killstreaks and experimenting with varied non-meta kits. How am I supposed to earn killstreaks when everyone on the enemy team is just as good as I am? How am I supposed to grind skins on non-meta weapons when everyone is sliding around corners with MP5s kitted out for minimum hipfire spread and max ADS speed? Why even bother learning the game and getting better when you will be punished with sweatier opponents rather than rewarded with more kills?

My question isn't whether SBMM is a good idea in casual playlists, obviously it isn't and the vast majority of players don't like it. My question is why the developers of COD games are so hellbent on forcing it into every casual playlist in every COD game? Are they making money off of it somehow? Because I don't see how they could.

I would have bought Cold War if it didn't have SBMM, but when I found out it had it I refused to purchase it. MW will be the last COD game I own until it's removed. I know multiple other people who have quit COD because of it and refuse to but new games if they have it.

What does Activision gain from implementing SBMM in causal lobbies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Because you are not a casual player. You might think you are but everything you describe above suggestions someone who is more into COD, understands it more and probably plays it more. So you hate SBMM. The people you hear give out about it are also not casual gamers. So you live in that echo chamber.

SBMM is great for the casual gamer, the ones who don't grind camos, killstreaks or have every weapon loaded up. The ones who want a bit of craic once a week with there mates and all of their squad is sub 0.9kd. This is the majority of COD players.

Activision make the most money of these people. Not you. That's why it's here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's fantastic, as an older console player without all the advantages of a PC youth it's just fantastic. I mean I see all these pro-streamers crying about it on their $9,000 PC platforms it's **** glorious. If it wasn't for SBMM I couldn't do this

and 90% of the people whining about it would be worse off without it

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ChicoCannon

I would suggest the majority don't hate it.

The vast majority of the player base are casuals who drop in for an hour or two a week, if they get put into their first lobby and it is a bunch of sweats and rats, they will immediately back out of the match probably the game completely and go play something else, the main people who complain about SBMM are usually the sweats and streamers who don't want their games to actually be competitive because they don't get to drop a nuke to regularly or it looks bad on their stream when the other players shoot back, for most players it isn't even a blip on the radar as they win some they lose some they move on.

I'd also suggest that you find it hard to grind camos in games because it sounds a lot like you are just playing shipment if everyone is running hipfire setups. You get so many kills in the likes of shipment it makes camo grinds easy except maybe the longshot challenges, although in MW3 these have largely been removed making it easier for casuals to make some progress.

I was a competitive player in the past on mainly R6 Vegas and R6 Vegas 2 but also on COD where it used to be hardcore SnD all the time and SBMM doesn't bother me in the slightest I uses MP purely to rank up guns and unlock attachments for WZ.

Basically it isn't that much of an issue, its a feature as I said sweats and streamers give out about because ironically it calls them out for not being as good as they think because without a VPN they don't get to destroy casuals which look much better on YouTube. Also COD like EA FC/FIFA players are the biggest cry babies in gaming in general.

Advertisement