Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Dowling and Arthur Gourounlian expecting first baby.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

FFS its not tradition, its the way we are made, you need a man and a woman to create a child, it would lead one naturally to the conclusion, that all other things being equal, that man and woman, if they are in a committed relationship, would be best placed to raise that child. There are plenty of studies that show this which im sure you'll ignore.

I'm sure there are plenty of kids better off in situations that arent that, but that doesnt mean on balance that its not the best upbringing for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Youve just said it's not tradition and listed tradition as every reason, apoealed to traditional studies and finally contradicted yourself by saying that you agreed some kids are better off in situations that arent traditional.

Which is EXACTLY the point I was making.

Tradition is ideal, but we don't live in an ideal world. I said this earlier. I'm not arguing in favour of non-traditional families: I'm saying they can work.just as well if they have the right people - and I think that's what you're saying too.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

There's a few Helen Lovejoy's on this thread…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Im saying a biological family is in most cases better. Your tradition is my biology it seems.

It's not biology. Familie arent biological. Sociology would be the branch to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

all the soviet style "new man" shyte doesnt work , at some level you need a biological connection it seems, anything institutional doent work. All there is for the foreseeable future is "the nuclear family" , all the hippy dipppy stuff fell apart in the 60's and 70's

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

No she’s nothing to them. They didn’t use her eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

a sister acted as surrogate for them using donated eggs and one of their sperm so not sure why people are ranting about third world exploitation etc.

maybe she was indeed forced to do it due to poverty but I’ve no reason to think that.

I know 3 women who acted as surrogate for a family member, can’t recall anyone thinking it was a problem, in fact everyone thought it was a great thing for them to do. Egg donation is also fairly common in families.

Many years back it wasn’t unusual for a childless couple to raise a niece or nephew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

what happens them when they decide to split due to work or consciously uncouple. For more clicks.

• Advertisement

What happens when any couple seperates?

Do you think it's different for same sex couples?

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

That'sa good point, and consent is indeed the current ‘term of the month’ so it brings up some solid questions.

But I think there’s a common sense element that’s being lost as we delve deeper into the subject, particularly when moderate voices (like most of us here) get drowned out by the extreme voices. Common sense tells us that a parent taking a picture of their child is totally normal. Then showing that to their friends is totally normal. The laws should protect the vast majority of ‘normals’ and protect them from the weirdos. It’s striking that balance that proves tricky. I wouldn’t want to be a lawmaker in this day and age!

No idea what you're talking about here - soviet style new man, hippy dippy stuff....?? Sounds like a bad attempt at rap.

This is reality Look around you. Non-neuclear families exist. Single parents exist. And they're doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JustAsking2022

does the sister live with them? It is more of a blurred line here I think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

really? all the hippy models , sommune stuff was tried in the past , the hippies failed, the soviets failed. what does Sociology bring to the table?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Did they do it more than once? Did they already have children? Did they have their own place or put everything 'on pause' as these pair said she did. She's still living with them, its like a throuple and that's grand if all 3 are happy but it seems very one sided as they are now proclaiming they are a family of 'four' when she seems to feel she's part of that family.

well 2 of the women I know who did it don’t have other kids. They were willing to do it for family members. So I guess they put their own lives on pause for a while. Although not really, I mean their lives continued, work etc as normal. One was single the other in a relationship but no kids planned in the near future.

The other had 3 already with her hubby and was happy to help her sister have a family. And of course continues as a loving aunt,

as for a sister living with a brother and their partner… hardly an unusual situation. We had an aunt live with us for about a decade when I was a kid,

Now you're making even less sense. The soviet union fell because of non-tradradirional families?? Hippies failed? Hippies still exist and live happily. You know nothing about hippies, you just assume.

None of this is on topic- its just you shoehorning in a hate-filled rant against things you don't like. I've no interest in indulging you, so I'll leave you to.it. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭maik3n

I'm not quite sure we should start getting into the realms of what constitutes ''normal''.

Also, I would want some clarification on what you mean by parents showing pictures to their friends.

Are we talking about in person, showing your friend a picture on your fone, sending a picture message or perhaps at a push, sharing in a family/friends WhatsApp group? I could grudgingly get on board with that.

However, I really don't see that much difference between average Joe/Jane parent plastering their kids all over FB, Insta, twitter etc versus what Brian and Arthur are doing.

This is not to say that I think there should be any laws enacted or anything, it's more people in glass houses etc…..

My basic point is that this couple are doing what a lot of 'regular' couples are doing and they appear to be being vilified for it. I presume it's because they are annoying celeb types and people tend to lose their reason when it comes to annoying celeb types.

Calling for laws to prevent simple freedoms will always get my resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

"annoying celeb types" who are also a same sex couple. For extra vilification.

Yeah, there's no doubt that adds to their negative attention, especially online. (slight ironic note here as I'm typing this from London Pride 😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭arctictree

The devil will be in the detail here. I mean when is she going to hand over the kid? A few minutes after birth? A few days later? Or is she going to hang around and raise the baby?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

their pages have almost 425k followers between them, with their eldest. They share where she sleeps. Her in swim suits, that they are going to toilet train her. She hasn’t had a single day since they got a magazine deal to ‘show’ her since she’s born where they haven’t posted her online. The exposure I’m talking off doesn’t take into account the tv show, radio interviews, Facebook or Twitter. It’s far removed from mad aunt showing her ‘little angles’ on Facebook.

I don’t, but I’m well aware of their antics and grifting. Their pages are also public so can be viewed by many more than followers also there are sites you can use so views don’t register and give them coin.

No, of course you don't. 😏 Yet you are so aware of the antics and grifting.

I had no idea how many followers they have between them (until you told me), I've never seen a photo of where she sleeps, or her in a swimsuit, or know when they intend potty training.

You can avoid them if you want to, just keep on scrolling.

But then you'd have nothing to bond with the other Helen Lovejoy types over, and be outraged on threads like these.

• Advertisement

I went and looked to see their numbers in light of the discussion here, to back up the points I was making. It’s a discussion thread. I follow some accounts that discuss this type of monitising their kids for content, don’t worry there are so many at it, not just this pair. So I know of their carry on, again they aren’t the only ones. I genuinely feel for such kids, parents sharing medical conditions, every last move, all to make money. it’s not their right or place to do it, the people who should be protecting kids aren’t, again not just this pair. There are lots of papers and studies being done into ‘sharenting’ . Anyhow best ofluck to the kids, they’ll need it.

Advertisement