Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Israel Get way with this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

The Pillagers in Jerusalem are the oppressors and occupiers, this conflict has very little to do with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

It has everything to do with religion and holy sites and promised lands and groups of people who think they are the righteous. The roots go a long way back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A number of new groups, independent of the corrupt PLO, have sprung up in the west bank, hence the current attempt at oppression.

Backed by the Yankee dollar while the EU looks on a pretends to tut-tut.

Palestinians should try bleach their skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,804 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Eleven dead now including children. Awful oppression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Just highlights the utter hypocrisy of American foreign policy. What moral right have they to criticize any country on the planet while they are funding this Apartheid regime to commit war crime after war crime.

You just have to see how quiet this thread is compared to the Russia one to see how conditioned people are to gloss over crimes that so called "democracies" commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Astartes

If we just pretend Israel is Russia and Ukraine is Palestine could we get a minutes feckin peace, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,492 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You just have to see how quiet this thread is compared to the Russia one to see how conditioned people are to gloss over crimes that so called "democracies" commit.

Because it's a pointless battle that everyone is tired to death of trying to bring awareness to. The States is locked in, and most of the time dissent from that position is defacto smeared as antisemitism, I've had otherwise very reasonable friends and colleagues ostracize and block me under that banner for calling out apartheid tactics. Either way the UN security council veto keeps the situation deadlocked and there is zero political will to change this paradigm, we can only guess at the reasons why, but it is not a winning political issue in the United States and I fear, never will be.

35 children since the start of the year afaik.

I didn't see RTE news tonight but their reporting of it yesterday was a disgrace.

You'd swear the refugee camp was in the middle of Tel-Aviv.

They got a comment from an IDF spokesperson but apparently they couldn't find a single Palestinian in...Palestine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Fun fact, in the 1970's Scientologists successfully infiltrated the US govt/civil service

Now they were a tiny but very organized fringe religion with quite a lot of zealots.

They were caught and prosecuted.

Now if you were to say look at the amount of Jews in the US govt, including nearly every one of the advisors in the Whitehouse. You might also think it's strange that Jews are <2% of the US population are so vastly overrepresented in all these extremely influential positions.

Or how Russian interference with their elections is bad, but Israel doing the same thing is good.

Or how sending $50Bn to Ukraine was controversial but Israel gets $$$$ every year with no fuss.

Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Fixed that for you. Your welcome.

I didn't see RTE news tonight but their reporting of it yesterday was a disgrace.

You'd swear the refugee camp was in the middle of Tel-Aviv.

They got a comment from an IDF spokesperson but apparently they couldn't find a single Palestinian in...Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

It's no wonder why people don't trust the EU. I'm pro-EU but I honestly understand why people are anti-EU.

Ursula was literally elected via secret ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

People need to start waking up to the hypocrisy of this. There's been 80 years of routine inhuman brutality and cruelty by the Israelis against the Palestinians to the extent that people seem to accept it's normal. It's okay. It's not okay.

10 years ago, I thought the Israelis had a point. I thought that the Palestinians - however justified they might be - had to negotiate for peace as the weaker party in the conflict. I was mistaken (sorry to posters I disagreed with then, you were right, I was wrong) - I viewed the conflict as a non-zero sum issue where the Israelis had total military dominance but were willing - even eager - to live in peace with their neighbours. I thought the Palestinians being weaker were crazy to fight. They ought to accept reality and make peace, even if not ideal. That's clearly incorrect - the Israeli's are not interested in any future where the Palestinians survive. The existing reality where the Israelis are unconditionally backed by a global superpower in their year by year building of a Greater Israel over the graves of the Palestinian people is preferable for them to any deal which might restrict that expansion.

Now I can only admire the stubborn resistance of the Palestinians. For 8 decades, in the darkest and most grim times, against an invading force which views them only as a sub-human infestation, they have resisted and held on, house by house, street by street. Maybe the Palestinians will lose - but they really are fighting to keep some hope alive for their sons and daughters, as their fathers and mothers did for them. How can you not admire that?

The question we as Irish people, and the EU more generally, has to ask is at what point are we going to impose the sort of total sanctions on Israel that we did against South Africa? How long are we going to pretend we don't know what's going on in Palestine?

That's one hell of a change of opinion. Respect.

I don't know if there's a solution.

Robert Fisk (RIP) was in the Middle East for forty years. He interviewed Bin Laden before Bin Laden was famous and Fisk's summary was there definitely won't be a two state solution.

Jews and Israel are not inseparable entities. The majority of the jewish diaspora are against the occupation.

Yes and these people are called anti semitic self hating Jews by Zionist Jews/Israel. If they are famous or prominent they are often "cancelled", this pre dates modern cancel culture.

However if you take a longer look at history, you may find that Jewish people traditionally have always been close knit and even today, have an extreme in-group preference. That means they will favour Jews over anyone else. This is playing out in Israel certainly, but again right through history, this nepotism/cronyism meant that they often were kicked out of regions wholesale (often for usury which is what Jesus got violent about in the money changers temple). But also for collusion in govt. As happened in Weimar Germany where govt was basically vast majority Jews

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Even by the standard of the Einsatzgruppe Ireland membership that largely populate this thread you are blunt in your expression.

At least you are direct about it.

• Advertisement

Conspiracy theory nonsense, tbh. If you want to know (one of )the main reasons the US supports Israel, its the Evangelicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What nonsense, but an easy pill to swallow for those who are blinded by their hatred of Christianity. Why then exactly do Democrats often vote inline with Israel's interests? They hardly have a large Evangelical base. It wouldn't have anything do to with the amount of money the likes of AIPAC pumps into both parties?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

F*ck me, that is incredible. Never heard of that before. I've only had a quick skim through that Wikipedia file but looking forward to reading it in detail. And here was me thinking that the Scientologists came under the "crazy but essentially harmless" category.

You can probably expect to be banned or otherwise sanctioned though for the comments about Jewish influence in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Fisk also spent his last years as an apologist for the Assad regime.

If he was alive today I expect he'd blame the US and NATO for the war in Ukraine.

He did some great reporting but was also blinded by ideology at times. A complex figure

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Was he an apologist? Or is it that he saw the wider geo political struggle that was going on in Syria. As for Ursula, I would not agree with everything Boyd Barret has to say, but he was bang on when he addressed Ursula in the Dail. Look it up if you have not seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Hardly any evangelicals vote Democrat , there are a number of equally strong reasons why both parties unconditionally back Israel ( and this unconditional support is much stronger today than say twenty five years ago)

1. hugely influential Jewish financial power in America
    2. America likes having the Arab st preoccupied with a particular non Muslim state as it means business as usual which benefits American interests
    3. 3. Israel is a way that America can project power through the Middle East indirectly

so America and Israel mutually benefit from the special relationship ( and it’s miles more special than the America - UK alleged “ special relationship “)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

He was right about the Israeli Palestinian conflict but like nearly all leftists was quick to blame everything on the west regardless of circumstances

Jenin as it stands

"Until now, reports have come in of aerial strikes and a ground invasion by tanks, APCs, bulldozers and hundreds of soldiers. Ten people have reportedly been killed so far, and hundreds injured, some critically. Evacuating the wounded has been a challenge as the military destroyed roads inside the camp as well as access roads to it. Hospitals are overrun and having difficulty providing the injured who have been evacuated with the care they need. Water, power and internet services have reportedly been cut off, and medical centers have sustained damage. Homes and other private property have also sustained massive damage. Thousands of civilians - children, women, men and the elderly - have been forced to flee their homes, some without knowing where they might go."

https://www.btselem.org/firearms/20230704_jenin_refugee_camp_is_home_of_thousands_of_people_not_a_battlefield

Its quite funny folks mentioning I should/could/would be banned for my comments here. The thread title "is how does Israel keep getting away with it", but if you delve into the actual reasons & history (lets face it, this isn't a new development), you could face sanction.

I've mentioned how scientologists successfully infiltrated many layers of the US govt, and while there appointed and promoted fellow scientologists therefore increasing their numbers and power. But when you point out Jews have done the exact same thing...well.

A few years back when an Irish aid ship was on the way to deliver aid to Palestinians, it was boarded & raided by the IDF. And so Pat Kenny had a live interview with the Israeli ambassador to Ireland. Now Pat wasn't buying all the one sided stuff Irish were people were saying, so he took a neurtral stance in the interview and he made her reasurred her saying it wasnt an ambush. It took less than 2 minutes until he was being called anti-semitic. Pat got angry, and defensive, he was absolutely aghast at this. He simply couldn't believe it. In the pre twitter era it was a big deal. He learned a hard lesson that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The whole cycle is so infuriating and depressing.

1. Israel expands its illegal settlement network
    2. Settlers provoke and harass Palestinians
    3. The IDF subject Palestinians to daily rituals of humiliations
    4. Gaza is treated like an open air prison sealed off from the outside world
    5. The governments of the rest of the world look the other way
    6. Palestinians eventually erupt in bitterness and anger and lash out
    7. Israelis get to smash the Palestinians citing counter-terrorism

Rinse and repeat

The only difference is that the Israelis seem to be even more brazen now given how many Settler Parties are in the current government, while at the same time the Palestinians keep losing support from even previously friendly Arab governments.

Advertisement