Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I thought the rest would wait until after the wheelbarrow events.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

😂🤣😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

At the end of the day.

For the moment.

Who cares about LIV ...The teams are rubbish and names comical.

Too many absolutely terrible golfers or finished golfers to be watching. Who genuinely wants to be watching exhibition golf...with washed up Ryder cup "heroes"

DJ and Bryson ...very disappointing...the rest of them can fly to Mars on their stupid Dr Evil plane...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Blubber out injured at the moment. I guess covers himself if he can’t do much on return. He can get the crowd going which Norman wants

Think you might be discounting the momentum that tour now seems to be building. The more big names they draw off the two main tours, the more the other players may be tempted to join them. The players moving now, and in future are cuter, they have let the first tranche deal with all the difficult/ethical questions.

• Advertisement

Did Norman not say he is staying loyal to original sign ups ?

Accepting you couldn't believe anything coming from him or LIV

Anyway...I did say for the moment...obviously longer term different story.

But for the moment, the current concept, the team idea and quality is horrendous....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is interesting, they have

Bubba

Charl

DJ

Sergio

Phil

Reed

Maybe LIV will pickup Willet and Hideki in the off season.

Can anyone spot the Major Momentum they are cleverly building.....be very hard for Augusta to ban 6-8 past champions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

None capable of winning the Masters anymore. Maybe DJ but Liv will soften him up.

There all has beens not one of them I'd miss. That includes DJ & Bryson.. Theres always the next superstar around the corner.

On the face of it ...but the big world turns and major institutions keep moving ....nobody can be done without...only one person meets that criteria in last 20 years, Tiger. There are no Tigers now...

There is only 1 player DJ in the list above that anyone would care about ...and there was nobody crying when he had his ban...

The disposability of people in larger powerful organisations shouldn't be forgotten either....

• Advertisement

What I want to know if LIV did collapse would they be taken back on the PGA tour?

I'd let them work their way back up from base of OWGR ...including having to get card.

Most of them wouldn't make it...and would be fun watching them...

But ...I guess they exit with so much money , they don't care.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Their pockets will be full of blood money at that stage and Bubba will build a church to save all their souls.

Post edited by Xander10 on

Not starting until tomorrow, Sunday night finish.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My point is the ban on past champions, not who could win, it will be a difficult decision to destroy the legacy they are trying to build, there can't be more than mid 30's of living past winners, banning nearly a quarter of them would be quite a step, deffo more space at the table.

Augusta may not want to get involved in this and just have zilch comment on LIV

It would certainly be a contrast to the very public rebuke the Augusta chairman gave to Tiger the time he admitted adultery.

I think ot could go either way...would love and could see them strong enough ...to not invite them.

They might see the Saudis misaligned with their core values....

Would love that...

Me too Id love to see them get banned from all the Majors next year! They might not have enough ranking points to even qualify but definitely past winners too.. See how much they care about the sport then. I doubt many of them be to bothered though...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Can't understand the logic behind people "loving to see" some of the best golfers in the world banned from the premiere events in the majors.

Say what you want but the below players are still absolutely capable of winning golfs biggest prizes:

DJ

Reed

Koepka

Bryson

Sergio

Oosthuizen

Even the likes of Schwartzel, Mickelson, Westwood would still be capable of pulling off a shock major win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

It's for the reason that can't be discussed. You must understand that.

• Advertisement

Can't understand how anyone can tolerate them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It looks like they're being encouraged to play Asian Tour events, probably to boost their owgr points. Kind of flies in the face of them saying spend more time with the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah all fcuking hypocrites! It just boils my blood! That these guys would rip apart a sport we love and that they are meant too! All for money. Especially when there already loaded.. The kids that look up to them etc.. No morals...

There's more to life than money! Its just GREED, XXXX XXXX XXXX !

Benny, they are professional sportsmen, of course it’s about money. People move jobs for higher pay all the time, we might not like SA, but when somebody slaps 40 mil down on the table in front of you, it must be hard to resist. The big clubs in the English first division did the same when they formed the premiership, they sold their souls to Sky. It is up to the PGA/DP tours to respond, the players are the talent, if they don’t pay the players well, then they risk losing more.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭IAmTitleist

As i said...i dont understand how anyone would LOVE a diluted major field in which 10-20 of the top players in the world aren't allowed to compete. If they are banned then anyone who wins a major will have an asterik beside that win.

Totally agree mate. Still doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it. Dont worry it boils my blood when footballs do it.. There is millions of people that would trade places in the morning! I would love to be able to play golf for a living and travel the world. If I won the Lotto in the morning thats what I'll be doing.. These guys are already millionaires.. Just Greed & no morals..

Professional players wanting more money? Shocking.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Quahog217

Post deleted, read the Charter

Post edited by slave1 on

Shotgun at 18.15 so a bit earlier than last time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

You can get day tickets on Stubhub for 1$.

Must be selling poorly.

Post deleted, read the charter

Post edited by slave1 on

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Blubber has learnt his lines very well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

In fairness this week's LIV is far more entertaining than last week's or this week's PGA Tour events

• Advertisement

Oh louis Louis Louis 🫣

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just 58k watching live on YouTube - said it before but those are fcking awful numbers, there’s no denying it

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

Maybe I missed the thread, but how do they decide who plays each week? Since the original event there's been a bunch of new names joining so who gets dropped and what is the criteria seeing as it's 48 (for now) for each event?

Norman I guess. Don’t call us. We’ll call you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

No reporting of the event itself this week that I can see in my usual news sites. Only reports seem to be about other players joining. That's great to see that mainstream media are rejecting it as a sporting entity.

• Advertisement

No mainstream media reporting it is a good thing yeh

And no data providers selling data for it either like Opta etc is important to stop Google and companies like this having its leaderboards on their sites live during the round

But yet Sky have no problem talking bout Newcastle utd or broadcasting their games??????? I wonder why??? I'm guessing if your a soccer fan you won't watch Newcastle all season in a similar vein of disgust

Sport fan in general but completely against all Sportwashing

Difference with Newcastle is they HAVE questioned Eddie Howe etc and scrutinised him. Also, with Newcastle, they always had Newcastle before the takeover and have contractual obligations with the League and them. They can’t just pull out of those contracts unfortunately. With LIV being new, Media have the choice themselves of whether to promote them or not.

Learn about the facts before getting pissy.

So Bubba is getting 50 million and not going to play until next year! Complete no brainer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

They really haven’t got many on the up or top of their game.

No matter what they think

Yeah you'd expect higher even if it's just their third event. Problem for them is the average age viewer of golf is probably 60 and most 60 year olds don't quite understand turning youtube on on their TV.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The only reason the media are blanking LIV for now is financial. As soon they think this will become profitable they will all want it on there screens, websites etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why? Don't kid yourself. The PGA is just a money racket as well, only difference is that it's been about a bit longer.

Someone has decided to compete with the PGA. Great, let them at it.

Or are the PGA afraid that competition will mean the gravy train will leak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

This coming to Doonbeg in a couple years? Read something in the paper that it might

• Advertisement
Advertisement