Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sully123

Anyone know where there is a leader board to follow?

I see the PGA & DP World Tour golf both being shown live on YouTube by Sky at the moment. This isn't their norm right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Coverage looks fine to me, camera angles, waiting time etc. I rarely listen with the volume up so commentators irrelevant

Ethical/Politics are being discussed at Mod level, in the meantime warnings will be issued for any such posts as they keep coming, please stick to the Golf centric chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

Chances are that you are already contributing to vast fund backing this golf tournament and many other sporting events sponsored by the Saudis - I know I am with every gallon of fuel I put in my car and keresone I put in my central heating oil tank ! Even more so now that the supply from Russia is drying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

The commentators are extremely cringe "You can really feel the party atmosphere down on the teebox" while it cuts to live pictures of DJ and Phil with sullen faces surrounded by fans hiding from the rain. I know its their job to hype it up but its just extremely obvious how hard they're trying with the whole 'golf only louder' party vibe rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Spirit of Alliss

@TweeterAlliss

For all you football fans, #LIVGolf is what the European Super League would have been, however participating teams would have been Aston Villa, Ipswich, Hibs and Real Mallorca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ah I wouldn’t begrudge the commentators of that on the very first day of the thing in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Watched it for 10 minutes and swithced off. I see Phil has no sponsors on his clothes. Seems to be wearing a Masters top thats blacked out and his own Coffee for Wellness logo on his hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sully123

The leader board on the left seems to be just ahead of the play as we watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

I think this is the point. This is akin to the Saudi PIF buying the Premier League, not a controlling stake in Newcastle.

If Newcastle were my team I would stop supporting them, but I didn't stop watching football.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Did I hear right that Phil is getting 200m for joining???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Is their a leaderboard or do you have to watch it to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Regarding the coverage...i'm not shocked to see people slating it because they have a pre conceived opinion on Liv Golf.

One thing i've noticed on this forum relentlessly is people complaining about how they just want to watch golf. Take out the adverts...the studio talking nonsense...the drone pictures...the panning by a blimp for 30 seconds. Well...you've got it right here in this coverage. It is quite literally just golf shots which can only be a good thing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think the PGA and by dint of that NBC / CBS / ESPN / Sky etc. can indeed learn. The shotgun start is great. 0-100% immediately.

Go team CRUSHERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh - while I’m completely against the tour, it should benefit the PGA Tour in the long-run from simply giving them fresh ideas

European Tour might be goosed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The leaderboard is distracting with the amount of movement, but no ads in 3 mins is good.

Would a shotgun start be better for attendees? I'd say makes it harder to see players more

PGA have announced suspension of players who compete in LIV. So that's Phil out of the US Open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Pga tour don’t control the us open. Us open is usga event. Pga tour major is basically the players event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What team you got?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Few of the bigger guns struggling early on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

like the shotgun start but dont like the graphic on the left at all.

maybe i'm too set in my ways, as i also hate the graphics used in crickets the 100.

3k people watching the PGA tour, 100k watching LIV GOLF!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i have both open and was thinking the same. but i'm sure a lot are watching on regular sky tv rather than youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is the same crap spouted time and time again by fools. Comparing necessities to voluntary decisions is ridiculous.

Yes I'd love not to give them one cent but I have to get to work and other places. I have to keep my house warm during the winter for my family.

Good news is that in a couple of years time I'll have an electric car and an air to water heating system. Then I won't be giving them anything.

If you are watching it then you have no morals. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

You can see why he chose to head off over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

Disappointed to see the likes of mr.short game golf taking the Saudi coin- I’ll be unsubscribing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wouldn’t be taking those YouTube figures too seriously. There’s 98k on it now but it’s literally the only place to see it and there’s obviously loads dipping in to see what it’s like as it’s brand new

The PGA figures are for sky YouTube only. There’s channels all around the world where people are watching the PGA, but how many are actually watching the early stages of day 1 in the Canadian Open is anyones guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm pretty much out on account of the gimmicky format, like some kind of US skins game. The rest of the stuff behind it makes that decision even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

Careful what you say the Mods seem to be on the Saudi payroll too

• Advertisement

Why? You realise the PGA tour operates in a country that hands out Assault rifles to teenagers and on the news earlier, 350 people murdered every week in the US by guns! Where is the morals there?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I did follow the guidelines in the title! TBH the format makes no sense to me, especially the team side of things, apart from just handing out huge sums of money. What makes team golf competitions so great is that we only see them every other year when there really is something to compete for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm liking Rory McIlroy more and more.

Yeah, he did give quite a thoughtful commentary on all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Maybe i'm blind but is it really difficult to find a leaderboard for this?

• Advertisement

Well the shotgun start had no correlation to leaders so good idea I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mcilroy is gas, not motivated by money lol. The guy only turns up in European tour for big money events many of which are in countries further down the sports washing road than the Saudis.

Neither PGA tour or LIV covering themselves in glory TBH. PGA defo winning the propaganda currently, sticking it to Norman is the driver for them. They couldn't believe their luck it was Saudi backed.

Is 48 man field it for the season now? Who doesn't make the field when more big names take the leap? An OOM or just the lesser names get a thank you and good luck payoff?

I heard even the caddies are quids in, is that true? Any sign of Kuchar 😁

Good start for Charl Schwartzel after his Masters top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

The McIlroy point is all about what he thinks he can achieve and yet he is very well rewarded for that; all top golfers are. Like all top golfers he yearns for a legacy but there's no legacy nor famous trophies in what is effectively a closed shop but there are big bundles of money if that is your thing. The glory, the prestige and the challenge of competing with the very best has a surprising effect on hyper-competitive people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Are Johnson and the others barred from all PGA and European tour events now?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

They could have up to 54 and still maintain the shotgun starts

I'm not watching it and never will.

If you are likening it to soccer them you are wrong. Football is a filthy game full of horrendous owners. I've given up following it.

I wrote a response and posted it but realise I'm not allowed post it.

I don't think you are allowed post that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Good to see Graeme McDowell taking the moral high ground by resigning from the PGA Tour to 'avoid litigation'.

He'll have to start practicing his new Arab accent now.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So Alan Shipnuck got booted from Phils press conference. Not exactly the best look.

Alan texts Greg Norman who says he didn't hear about it....until we see he's standing right behind him as it happens. Censorship on day 1...grow the game they said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement