Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

They are already getting 4 mill plus just to show up! It’s **** obscene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

As mentioned by other people, it's difficult to figure out what will keep viewers drawn to these events. Hard to know ownif big names simply playing golf for the fun of it is really that appealing over the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I gotta say I do love seeing Sky squirm. They squirmed over the potential super league and had fans riled up into a frenzy and got their way.

They must be shirting bricks over this and other sports they have rights for. Formula one is another primed for Saudi takeover.

Let's be real. Most people don't have strong morals to turn down 200m or whatever.

The younger lads like Rory have a reputation and probably fear for their sponsorships and popularity as they have 20+ years of their career left.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

Gmail just cementing what was obvious -that he’s a complete knob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Apparently DJ has applied to join the European tour! Pelley has been very quiet recently..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm enjoying watching the American journos squirming that their golden goose is under threat. I don't remember them being so upset when the PGA tour was slowly killing the European tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A Sky Reporter was discussing the ethics of it (yes Mods, I know. I'm not going to go into it) with Martin Kaymer the other day and posted it on their Twitter. It was the only Twitter post that day where they shut the comments off. This is largely because Sky Sports accepted money off Saudi for Tourism ads.

Their whole approach is to discredit it. They did a hack on McDowell yesterday when showing him commenting and put World Number 300 and whatever underneath him, as a piss take.

As I mentioned early in the thread before this started, Sky were showing the women's Aramco series a few weeks ago, funded by the exact same people. It's pretty much the exact same as LIV Golf except it is sanctioned by the women's organisations. No objections then.

They sent pundits to Saudi for golf, Boxing and F1. They could have just shown it and boycotted attending, but didn't. They also lauded the Newcastle takeover.

As you mentioned with the Super League and what they did. They helped create the Premier Leagues split from the football league in 1992 but kicked up a fuss when it was being taken away from them and their TV rights. Then tried to portray themselves as with the fans. Gary Neville called for Untied fans that day to protest at Old Trafford and a policeman had his eye slashed. Sky cannot play the moral card. I think they know that. They are reprehensible. It's one of the things that I am enjoying about this debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,330 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

what happens with phil's lifetime membership on the pga tour?

the DP tour was certainly happy to take dirty oil money to the extent they changed their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I won't say I was in favour of the super league but the only tweak needed to be made to the super league to make it comparable to the champions league was adding promotion and relegation.

The new champions league format that has been approved is pretty similar to the super league and there was no issue.

The way sky were going on you could tell they were scared shitless about losing the cash cow of the Premier league. Gary neville riled all the fans up claiming it was the end of the English football pyramid. He was claiming the clubs were going to leave their domestic league which wasn't part of it at all.

He went on about fans yet sky charge through the roof for a subscription and then put games on TV on weeknights where fans of clubs have to make cross country journeys making it impossible to get transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He’s coming across as a complete bellend trying to defend this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yeah that really matters when they’re throwing $150m at you for turning up 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The European Tour could instantly become the main tour body if they accepted the LIV events and permission to partake in them. I can imagine pretty much all of the elite players making the jump then.

Work with the LIV events and say you can only have X events per year but the guys have to make X European tour events a year too.

It probably goes against what a lot of players are campaigning for but the European tour can give access to the majors.

The likes of Augusta will have to get off the fence then. The R&A and maybe USGA would probably offer exemptions, rather than qualifying. The PGA championship would probably end up defunct but let's be honest, it's golfs equivalent of the Australian Open in tennis. It's the 4th Major, by a mile.

However, there would be no way the PGA would cooperate for the Ryder Cup rights. And LIV would have to introduce drug testing to align the the European Tour and Olympics. I think the Olympics is doomed, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

I assume euro tour waiting on what happens with pga tour. They’ve more money to fight it.

lack of leaderboard is probably to mind the hackers. Even the teams looked fixed. Let’s pretend I wanted him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭bren2001

Why would the PGA Championship be doomed? It's nothing to do with the PGA Tour, its run by the PGA of America.

Why would LIV have to introduce drug testing or why would the Olympics be doomed? Again, neither are anything to do with the PGA Tour, ET, or LIV. Any player who wants to compete at the Olympics enters the WADA testing pool 6 months out (I think) but if a player doesn't want to compete at the Olympics, they don't enter the pool. The PGA drug testing is pretty useless. I am sure LIV would grant exemptions for players to compete at the Olympics, it promotes their brand on a global scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I feel interest in this thing is going to be very fleeting indeed. The media may black it out as a goodwill gesture towards the establishment.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know it is the first event - and perhaps the door is open to better players. But the scoring is a reflection of the OWGR - and sort of highlights the flaw in the event. Like any sport there are levels - so the guys who are genuinely world class are going to have easy pickings here.

Ian Poulter and Chase Koepka are +2 and in 14th - Koepka probably having a good event is ranked 1562 in the world - he has missed 7 cuts in last 10 events.

Anyway - they will seriously have to improve world rankings in the event. South African team is just silly the level they are at.

I have actually watched it out of morbid curiosity and no matter what - the traditional format and general lack of golf and slow pace has has been a real issue that conventional golf has not engaged with.

Looks like a handy 5 million for Charles.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Hennie Du Plessis career earnings 393 K euro - currently in 2nd place and could win $2,000,000

wow.

When did GMac get the teeth done? Like a set of Delph now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Three holes left to play now and 93k viewers.

Post edited by Dr Turk Turkelton on

Wow - 4.75 Million $ - easy 3 days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Gmac pockets around half a million . Not bad for three days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭big_drive

Last place guy was +24 for 54 holes and gets €120,000

There's something seriously messed up about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Charl anchoring or what?

Don't forget about the stingers team picking up a whopping 3 mill aswel. The prize money is mind bogglin, actually bordering on the disgusting. Fella finishing +24 getting 120k. Theres hope for us all!

When tiger accepts he's not getting the next major they'll have him too with the cash been dished out.

It's strange tryna explain it to a 9year old who just loves playing the game. In fairness to him, he hates it. If he doesn't have beemer and raydar he's not into it. Guarantee ye there mulling over serious deals.

My gut says PgA are gonna soften their stance to the players that have jumped. They'll let them stew over a few majors but reckon the absconders have there arses covered legally and they'll be allowed back in after a court case or 2.

I'm looking forward to the ripples this will create thru the PGA. Strap yourselves in for this, it's gonna get feisty

Go team OLE

made up of the top 4 of the boards golf society🤭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

it's all just big pile of shite

on top of a pile of dirty money

event forgetting where the money is coming from the product is absolutely shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya the team aspect just doesn’t do it for me and likely never will in a tournament scenario like that

Can’t see why viewers would ever have an emotional connection dying for their ‘team’ to win

Whilst I agree with the comments above, that conceptually it is very strange and bull.... But.....

In the modern world we fall for flashy shinning things. Older people like myself love the history and legacy stuff - are modern kids of TikTok as attached to anything ?...even the talk of YouTube was interesting, going on YouTube is genius.....even if they didn't have a choice....

Sports Franchising and branding works , would be naivety to think otherwise.

Look at Rugby

F1

Cricket

REDBULL was a drink 20 years ago, entire sport world now

MMA was far from mainstream 10 years ago - considered practically illegal...

I listen to the No Laying Up guys a good bit , they would be very very against it , but the issues they have raised about conventional coverage and tournaments are being considered here, because money and an actual business model is not the function. This LIV thing can do things quickly with no real consideration for anything or anyone....

Even the shotgun start is a game changer.

I personally think 4 days is daft outside of majors.

This has been a fascinating twist in golf and I'll be honest , conventional week in, week out crap course PGA tour, was boring the **** out of me...

I hate everything about this League , but the expression money talks has been rather depressingly revealed to me this week.

I had my doubts about many of the guys who have taken the soup and this has confirmed it for me....

Was looking at them all yesterday , all about the money , being seen in a fancy corporate box , pure displays of wealth and a crassness to it all.

We have spent the last 20/30 years trying to open up golf to minorities, opening it up to people from different backgrounds...the R&A and various associations have made remarkable progress.

This thing has set us back into the dark ages...Kevin Markham made me see that with a post on twitter....

It is all a bit depressing, but a reflection of the modern world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

The biggest problem that LIV still face is that the product they are trying to promote to new audiences and younger people is still someone lesisurely walking around for five house hitting a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That’s the key. Golf will never be for anyone with ‘tiktok’ style aspirations. It’s just never going to be able to compete for that short, sharp entertainment

I don’t even think LIV are aiming for that btw. Aside from the stuff we can’t mention, they’re aiming for the same market as the PGA etc are. They didn’t sign Phil Mickelson hoping he’d attract young people to their YouTube channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

the guys on "dont Lay up" podcast make a good point about num 50 -100 in the world ranking that the PGA rely on them to provide decent competition for the top 20 and as such cant afford for them to jump shipin in great numbers .I imagine the challenge for the PGA in retaining their lesser players is if the less successful player loses his card they are on their own so its a one way loyalty play ,please support the PGA tour but piss off if you are unlucky enough to finish below number 115,maybe there is some pension consideration I am unaware of.

Mcllroy is key here, if they can somehow get him then it would be like domino's.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Rory winning today would be the perfect result for the PGA this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

It seems like a missed opportunity. Watching someone play golf for over 5 hours is just boring, who has time for that. They should of made it 12 holes and maybe impose time limits on how long you can take for a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think it will eventually be watered down to something like Crazy Golf with Ant & Dec presenting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Something like 5 seasons with a minimum of 15 starts to qualify for the pension. I believe its quite good too. Not a scratch on the LIV money though.

Out in 29, he's having a good stab at it. Serious quality golf getn played. Perfect advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭AyeGer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It was an entertaining finish on the PGA Tour tonight. They will be happy with that.

Thats the thing about LIV with so little players compared to the pga tour events and such a gap in talent they will end up with a good deal % less exciting finishes and tbh that's the best bit about golf, outside of a major many won't tune in for a procession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Did the 15 year old Amateur get a paycheck to or could he not collect? i presume he wouldnt have entered if he couldnt get cash.

Some people on twitter saying the DP World tour will over take the PGA tour now as it will allow players to play in the LIV events. I cant see it overtaking the PGA, but i did see an article that suggested DJ has applied to join the DP World Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Think the DJ thing was retracted. The thing is a big part of the LIV motivation is to outdo the Dubai funded DP world tour.

Don't think it suits either to be aligned as it dilutes their "exposure"

Edit: It would obviously suit the players, but they've been bought and paid for at this stage

Don't think amateurs can take money but I'm open to correction.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The FedEx Cup has been around for 15 years and the majority of golf fans still couldn't care less about it.

I assume this is due to its only selling point being the huge cash on offer.

Hence I can never see a large proportion of golf fans caring about LIV. So ultimately I don't think it'll last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

last in what sense?

this is not a money making business venture.

it is funded by an endless supply of money

Another couple of points:

- McDowell has come across the worst out of everyone involved I think, which is really saying something. He made himself look like an absolute moron in that press conference.

- Hearing the players cite the "innovative format" and "true test of golf" as the reasons for joining LIV was embarrassing. I'd have had no issue if they just said they joined for the money.

- Those team names are the height of cringe.

• Advertisement

I don't think they'll keep spending the amount of money that they have so far. It might last a good while but I can never see it being the dominant tour.

Advertisement