Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How important would the lifestyle of the area be when purchassing a property.

• 06-05-2022 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't come in to it at all? or it would be a factor? Maybe it's the influence of social media, Instagram posts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Does the area you live in actually have a lifestyle and posts on it's own Instagram account? It sounds like you may be living inside another person.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a house inside another person, but then I'm not of the demographic affected by the housing crisis, so I won't judge.

Number one thing would be privacy and maybe bit of scenery,

it would rot me to end up living in bland suburb,where everything is just sameness

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Legoland I call those places, soulness pits of hell.

You know the type of place that calls itself "Dublin" but is actually west of Maynooth and 2 hr drive from the city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You want amenities.

where I live I can walk to park, shops, gym, takeaway / restaurants.

short drive to supermarket, cinema.

bus to the city is 25 minutes…

a friend of our family lost her husband, she didn’t drive, lives alone the back arse of nowhere… 78 years old and ‘ having ‘ to learn to drive the first time.

nearest shop for milk is 20 minutes away by car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not really sure I understand the question but very? I don't want a massive house on lots of land, I want a decent sized house with plenty of amenities. I don't have to drive to go to a park, shop, school etc... Decent transport options to Dublin CC for gigs, nights out etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not sure when you say lifestyle.

Do you mean something like Wisteria Lane where all the houses meet up for dinner parties and coffee all the time?

I dont mean to critise such places,as obviously people can only afford em etc,so reality sets in

But i could never see myself aspiring to give up living rurally/quiet area for it,even if its in lower quality,older housing i live in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's more an intangible thing West Cork for example has the word lifestyle added the same with stoneybatter so in some areas something intangable behind having a decent house is going on.

I don't think it's intangible, West Cork has nice scenery with some nice towns. Stoneybatter has a sort of hipster scene thing with bars and restaurants and it's not too far from Dublin CC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Actual west West Cork is lovely, but this "lifestyle" element of it is west brit and english blow ins filled up to the eyeballs with notions.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I'm not sure what lifestyle means, in this context, I'd be happy to live in a bland housing estate, if there's easy acess to shops, bus services, supermarkets, library etc rural living does not suit everyone, you need to drive everywhere, it can be boring. Look at West Dublin, most of the houses are identical, with a small back garden, my friend lives in a rural town with 7 pubs, 2 cinemas, 3 supermarkets, if you are a singer, artist you might prefer to live in a city where the opportunitys to meet people are better and work is easy to find. Influencers are looking for likes, they tend to focus on the positive things in life and they don't always show things like it can take hours to setup a few photos or edit a ten minute video. As above reality sets in. Say you look on daft ie search 250k House your choices are limited if you want to live in a city you may find your only option is a small 1 bed apartment are you saying what's the best place to live town city or house in the middle of nowhere versus a bland house in an estate that's identical to the other 200 houses ?

I think if you are looking for advice following influencers is pointless unless it's something basic like makeup or exercise tips

Also influencers are mostly being paid to promote certain products or services they are not neutral

There's plenty of bland one off houses in the country as well as in estates, in fact most are bland and share much the same features as other one offs, internally and externally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Based on a crominalology lectures I attended, then the question to ask is what sort of social bonds are preseent in a community. If there are many active groups, events and even if you care for it mass going, then this indicates a community with a high degree of socetical cohesion and so the likelyhood of negative trends such as crime/anti-social behavour is lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The lifestyle of an area???!!!

What does that mean?

Sounds a bit like a marketing term......

Of course location is the number one factor when buying....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If they don't brunch or luncheon don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You are spot in. Also it's filled with nosy fcukers

Bitchy middle aged 'know it all' civil servants renting out their granddad's cottage on AirBnB for 200+ a night

People steeping themselves in mythical west Cork yoga/buddhist retreat fairy dust

Rich people who own a couple of trawlers and a few 100 acres of farm land pretending they're poor and wanting a handout from the government.

"Down for the weekend" types making an eejit out of themselves in some pub/festival

Some fcuker selling a tiny jam jar with a nice label and a tiny block of cheese for about 10 quid because it's from west fcuking cork.

I lived in West Cork for a while, nearly bought a house there. Now I'm not sure if it would have been a good move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Also, where did it become relocating to some somewhere and not moving to somewhere?

Post edited by mariaalice on

Advertisement