Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delete

• 06-05-2022 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Delete

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,454 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Firstly, IANAD and don't know the answer to your question, sorry.

I would think one way to proceed would be to tell your brother now that you called the doctor and what he said. Then, at least, you won't have to worry about him hearing it from the doctor in the future.

If you think it would help, you could offer to accompany him to the surgery.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I can't see how a GP could refer your brother to someone against his will or without his knowledge, I also can't really see what the GP could apart from what he suggested - to talk to your brother and say his family were concerned.

What else were you expecting? that the GP would pretend he'd noticed the mental problems on his own? That the GP would ask your brother how he was mentally and your brother would volunteer for treatment?

Or maybe you were thinking he could section your brother, commit him under involuntary hold. That certainly wouldn't happen with a lot more than a call from a sibling.

At the end of the day you will likely, as a family, need to sit him down and make him realise how worried you are about him and ask him to seek help. I can't see any other way to resolve this.

Advertisement