Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If Dublin is to prosper, building the metro together with DART West and DART SouthWest are absolutely key. No more houses can be built in Dublin without these key transport infrastructure measures as people can't get around as it is. BusConnects will help, but it is only a temporary measure, and many will be replaced by LUAS lines in the longer run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

If you invest millions upon millions into property you'd assume these things are built into the contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Wind is weather related and is an unreliable energy source no matter where it is harnessed That was clearly shown, not just for Ireland, but all over Europe Winter 2021 and this Spring.

If you were to do a cost to benefit analysis of wind generated electricity during that time frame, where for extended periods the output dropped to 6% and lower, then if off-shore wind turbines is supposedly now the answer then it would be difficult to argue against that there has been an awful lot of money wasted building them on-shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I compare wind to communism. It will work sometime somewhere somehow. Though never worked anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's methods where the energy from solar can be stored in batterys and released during the night , I agree dart should be extended, but building metro link now is bad timing when the money and the workers can be used to build housing all over the country

Basing everything in dublin is not a good long term plan when so many people now can work anywhere they can acess the Web

Say it costs 350k to build 1 house, or 2apartments, 9billiion would be a good start on tackling the housing crisis

• Advertisement

Night time demand isn`t really a problem as it is much lower than daytime demand. The problems are daytime and especially peak times demands when wind drops for, as we saw last year, extended periods. Battery technology is nowhere near the level that would cover those periods. That is why gas fired turbines are not switched off even when there is sufficient wind. They have to be kept running so they can be quickly brought up to speed when wind generation drops off.

At the risk of going OT, distributed batteries would be a simple solution that could be done pretty much now (€2-3k for 10kWh batteries for a house installed) to even out demand. But instead ya throw half a dozen solar panels up as well and suddenly they're charging €15k. Add another €15k for a heatpump sure, it's "efficient". It wouldn't be a "big" project so it's not going to attract government spending. The technology is there, the will and the honesty are what are missing.

Ideologies can always sound good in theory, but as Mike Tyson once said "Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth". He may have not been an intellectual heavyweight, but as good a description of the rubber of ideology meeting the road of reality as I`ve seen

That could work for domestic demand if large numbers did that, but at those costs I would not see a huge uptake. Battery storage to fulfill national demand for prolonged periods when wind drops off, especially when we have seen level of wind generation drop to 6% and lower for extended periods Winter 2021 and Spring 2022, with the present battery technology, would not be viable though due to the sheer volume needed.

Would the state have been better off providing all households with solar panels, batteries and heat pumps than going with wind turbines ? Quite possibly. Wind is unreliable and for 2021 wind generated electricity dropped from 42% in 2020 to 35% and wind generated electricity hasn`t reduced domestic bills by a red cent. Even if the percentage was 90+%, with the present marginal pricing policy, that will not change.

Difficult to know how much we have invested in wind, but according to Forbes Germany to date has invested $150 billion in renewables, and last year their electricity generated from that was 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Probably will seem trite to be reporting this but it just got my blood boiling this morning in dunnes stores. I usually pick up a few packs of 150g raspberries on my shopping. Good value at €2 and importantly very good quality (even better than the premium keelings packs)

What ah know this morning …….. the packs are shrunk to 125g for the same price. That’s that for me. It’s not even the money though it’s the principle of being ripped off indiscriminately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Euro is teetering on dollar parity at the moment. It could drop to $1/€0.95 if pseudo science economic Fibonacci is to be believed. Yen is at lows not seen since 1998. Despite the meme's and jokes about the US administration ruining their economy it's the rest of the world that will feel the Fed interest rates increases.

I have forest strawberries all summer/autumn growing on my balcony. Far superior than anything you will buy in a shop. Micro explosions of unbelievable taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Listening to David McWilliams here and it seems like we are coming out the other side already.

Bad news is that a recession is coming instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We havent even hit winter yet, gas prices have yet to peak and most of our inflation is based on energy prices.

We ain't seen nothin yet

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

These batteries wear out after a few years, panels go down to 85% after 20ish years, faster if closer to sea water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Suddenly, the European leaders forgot that Russia was the main gas supplier to mainland Europe. Europe has no pipeline that could match the shortfall caused by cutting off Russia's gas. There's no way the United States will give their supplies to Europe for free. All of that was stupid, now the Euro is weakening because of it. The dollar hitting parity with the Euro is proof that this European diplomatic move against Russia is hurting Europe but not the United States. Dollars are the leading currency, and a lot of goods arriving in Europe are paid for in dollars, so your own currency losing value isn't what you need right now. Maybe prices will go up in Europe again to cover that extra cost?  

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Don't worry, it's all going to be A OK. They'll just go cap in hand to the Middle East, those countries who really value human rights and pay them whatever they want for their oil. Nothing to see here, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

The middle east have already stated that they're incapable of increasing supply in the short term. They''re at maxed out production for now

I`m not that sure the price of fuel has much to do with supply. In 2012 a barrel of Brent crude was $111.63, today it is $104.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

America will always look after America - European naivety and delusion as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Gas is 30x price on this side of the pond

Americans already overtaken Russia as main gas exporter to Europe

However likes of Germany (and us) didnt built enough LNG capacity (despite EU directives to do so)

Anyways most of EU has plenty of gas, except fracking (source of all that American lng) was banned, 15 years of German demand (950bcm) in Germany alone, but somehow the famous German engineer ms can’t extract it cleanly and it was decided to depend on Russians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

No maybe about it, oil & gas are mostly priced in USD, we will be paying more on top of the price rises already, and the Euro might fall further if Russia decides not to switch the gas back on after maintenance, and crashes the German economy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Europe has itself to blame- deluded “green deal” airy fairy rubbish based on wishful thinking - where the fcuk do governments actually think gas/oil come from and are we going to suddenly not need it anymore- wake the fcuk up- we need affordable energy to keep our economy and society going. And will for decades to come.

Germany, and those like Ireland that mimicked their green nonsense are looking very foolish, but at least in Germany`s case they have gone back exploring for gas and oil and are building LNG terminals and leasing floating terminals. Our Green party have pushed through legislation that bans exploration, other than for gold and silver, (what that is about is a mystery), and despite our energy regulator`s warning on energy security are not just attempting to ban LNG terminals, but LNG in any shape or form.

Couldn't get over the price of a carton of milk in SV, which I rarely shop in now...€1.05. It was 75c 4 months ago. Crazy! My wages haven't jumped nearly 50% either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

2 litre of SV milk in February was €1.49 then in March went to €1.69 in May it went to €1.89 today it’s €2.09

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Same with Dunnes milk.

In the space of a few weeks it went from 1.69 to 1.89 and now 2.09.

Their pastries, scones and croissants etc gone from €1 each to €1.15.

i drink almond milk (by preference / taste rather than other reasons) and interestingly the price of this has not really risen. Dairy farmers must be getting hit hard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The Dublin metro needs to be built yesterday. If we bit the bullet and got the finger out on a metro 30 years ago we'd be laughing today. I can't think of a single city that regrets building a metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

So it looks like the grain will be flowing again from the black sea.

I'm sure we will see prices dropping in the supermarkets any day now!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

Come the next election im going to vote for the Nationalist Party, if enough of us do this FF/FG might stop kissing EU ass and start to think about Ireland and the tax paying Irish, it has to be worth a try, if we carry on down the road FF/FG currently have us on the country will be broke in 10 years.

Unlimited immigration , all on the dole, a disaster unfolding in real time.

Advertisement