Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stay or go?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Some places will unprompted reward you with advancement and rewards, wages, bonuses, options etc. Those place are interested in retention. Other places will always require cajoling, or cap in hand. I think those places aren't interested in retention. Especially if they make miserly counter offers.

At some point you have to make the leap. I've both regretted doing it, but I've regretted not doing it more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

Own industry is usually easier but I’m financial services so won’t profess to be an expert in your particular area. I’ve met and worked with COO’s and even a few CFOs without any formal professional qualification and very broad, non specific experiences. At a certain point you become a strategic thinker/problem solver/people manager rather than a ‘qualified X or Y’.

The Big 4 and consultancy generally is a great place to learn those skills and no doubt you’ll be very attractive to a host of companies in future if you succeed.

I see now I said a ‘a few years’ in my post. But probably talking certainly 3+ rather than 1-2. Either way, as others have alluded to, 20s is way too young to be stagnating so you’ve made the right call. I’d be almost certain you won’t regret making a move - but that leap of faith is often hard to take so well done for doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

No I wasn’t a grad. My yearly package is around 145k is that fair? Am 43yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Whats the shares thing? Thought they are all partnerships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you are getting an annual 145k thats probably around right, but i am surprised as the element of discretionary pay (basic seems low).

I dont understand the share scheme, its not something i came across in my experience in a big 4 firm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

IT companies often have shares and share options. Time locked so you can't sell them until after a certain time. Leave early and you lose them. I'm not sure thats what you're asking.

i think the posters definition of big 4 must be different to the commonly accepted definition of the big 4 accounting firms, who dont have share schemes that i am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Yeah I wasn’t aware of any share scheme when interviewing / receiving offer

maybe different in other big4 though

but then senior manager isn’t director or partner so it may not be entitled

the no pension til 30 was a strange one! I’m thinking of putting away whatever it is - 5% of salary monthly into something else until I’m 30. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

I don’t believe a share scheme is a thing at any level bar equity partner where it equates to the same thing .

the pension thing is pretty standard for them although most companies don’t discriminate on age any more.

you could set your own prsa up if you wanted to.

I've not read all the responses. But, one thing jumped out at me (reminded me of myself) you'll likely get bored of the new job within 12-24 months also. You'll be paying more travel expenses (petrol, wear and tear) and the extra net wont be much good. You'll be moving from a boring job to a boring but intense job (within a year or so).

The best advice would be to get outside interests and... (if this isn't too personal) what about kids down the line. Your current job would be perfect.

Yeah I’m not sure how the bonus will work, it might be pro Rata’d in December this year which is when I’ve been told they’re paid out. But they’re reviewed in July which means I’m only in the door a month or so by that stage.

will be next December 2023 before I see the full bonus

its not necessarily about the job you are moving to, its the job that leads to,

The posters career could one of two ways, if they want it to progress they need to move.

Yes, that's true. However, big four roles can be very niche. With that said they would be moving to a significantly different role than current, so they do have transferable skills.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all help!

Advertisement