Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony A7III or Nikon Z6 ?

• 07-05-2022 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

hi all

use cases are interior photography, furniture, rooms etc and some photos of my kids.

I will use a lot of HDR techniques.

I can get the A7III with a 24mm F2.8, or a Nikon Z6 with 14-30mm

Looking for something with a good user experience also - relatively simple to operate etc.

What would your pick from these two be and is there any other model I shouldn't overlook?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've a Sony A7iii. Fantastic camera, I'm really happy with it. Been using Sony since the old Alpha 100 A-Mount DSLR (and Minolta film cameras before that, which were bought out by Sony), and I've a few old Sony Nex E-Mount APSC cameras knocking around too. I've no experience of Nikon at all.

I doubt you could go wrong with either one, to be honest. Looking at a comparison, the spec are pretty similar. Sony has the edge on autofocus, Nikon has some cool features like in-camera focus stacking. But otherwise, there seems to be very little in it. One advantage Sony has is that they've fully opened their lens architecture to third parties, so you can get loads of great, fully featured full-frame E mount lenses from Tamron, Sigma and others - as well as the Sony ones. Nikon and Canon have kept things more closed. If you're looking at the Sony, definitely don't be afraid to look at the Tamron and Sigma lenses - third party does not mean second rate at all in this instance.

In terms of ease of use, the Sony's menu system is a bit chaotic and sprawling, but it's also highly configurable - you can customise almost every button and wheel, and there's a number of "favourites" menus, so once you can fairly easily get the camera set up exactly the way you like it and have your common settings a button press away.

They're both "last generation" cameras, as in Sony have released the A7iv, and Nikon the Z6ii which are upgrades to each line, but that's not to say either one is in any way obsolete. Both are still in their respective manufacturers current ranges.

Unless you see a glaring gap in the lens range for either camera system that you'll want in the future, I'd say go for whichever one you can get for the best price.

You might have seen it already, but there's a spec comparison here:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-Z6-vs-Sony-Alpha-A7-III#:~:text=What%20is%20this%3F,-Report%20Ad&text=Nikon%20Z6%20has%20a%2025.0,A7%20III%20sensor%20size%20comparison.

Advertisement