Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bertie **** ahern

• 07-05-2022 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

No one give gives a **** what you think anymore. **** off and keep your opinions to yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

What is he spouting about now?

Something to do with the nordies?

Edit: I’ll be voting no.

eh okay?

You're drunk OP. Go to bed.

You can get up early tomorrow for a perfect start to the week!

Why not go on one of these darkness into light walks orx something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is he plámasing Choina again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The man was prime minister. Of course people want to hear what he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Bertie had Putin figured out after meeting him he knew he was a dangerous liar and he mentioned how much he despised the Ukrainians. Bertie might have been crooked but he was never fooled by Putin like most were. He could read a person like a book.

• Advertisement

Pity he didn’t read Liam Lawlor, Ray Burke and co like a book…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

as big a crook as he was , he was a far more able leader than the gimp currently in the top job , worst Taoiseach we have ever had

A style icon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A wanker and a legend in one. Rose up during the Haughey era. Fell on his feet during the Celtic Tiger BS. Daughter author. Westlife wedding. Managed it all as if it would last forever like Disney. Never had a bank account either as Minister for Finance. A funny set up and if this country had actual balls, he'd be hiding away living it up on his pensions. But we still give a voice to pricks like him while deriding small time feckers on Liveline that are shamed for life. Great country. Be grand.

• Advertisement

Bollocks.

No one will ever be worse than Brian Cowen.

A turd in a suit would do a better job than that BIFFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

For all of his faults….including wearing that fûckin suit, my eyes ! … I’d have him in charge before the likes of Leo Varadkar…. Whatever was resting in Bertie’s account the actual running of the country was very decent under his leadership…

He oversaw one of the fastest growing economies in Europe, the second fastest after Spain….

i remember working in Eastpoint in ‘99/‘00 and it was a whos who of high tech multinationals… Oracle, Google, Cisco and more ..you could literally walk out of a job and have another the following week.

his role in the Belfast agreement saw him lauded by Iain Paisley who paid a glowing tribute to Bertie on his retirement…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the actual running of the country was very decent under his leadership…

one can drive a car with great skill and panache towards a cliff edge, indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Listen to him. He's usually right!

The IMF was called in because of the policies he and Brian Cowen implemented as both Taoiseach and Finance Minister.

The ‘benchmarking’, the light touch banking regulation, over reliance on borrowing etc.

As the poster above says, everything was great until it fell apart.

How many other EU countries had to be bailed out like Ireland?

Ireland are on a list with the likes of the shambles that was Greece.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whatever Mr Ahern's tenure in office, we all have a right to an opinion especically on social media.

He is entitled to an opinion.

I object to the rewriting of history we are seeing in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'd pay heed to Bertie's opinion much rather than some random internet stranger's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭foxatron

He knew well I'd say. Sure isn't that why he gets called to share his views even with his ropey reputation, because politically, he knows what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

he was indeed sh1t but the country faced a threat which was unprecedented and no leader has ever been at the helm at a worse time , Martin has zero leadership skills , at least Cowen could be a thick ignorant b0ll0cks , Martin would have let the banks rode us far worse as he is utterly spineless

Bertie Ahern. Taoiseach with neither dress sense nor bank account. A legend.

On a serious note, Bertie often came across as a bumbling idiot when Taoiseach, but in recent interviews, he’s much more fluent. I think the stammering and stumbling was just a cunning ploy.

rumour always had it that Bertie turned up the Hill 16 accent when a microphone was stuck in front of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ronnie fuc^ing Pickering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

Bertie has more insight and knowledge on the issues in Northern Ireland than the vast majority of people on this island.

his opinion is valid and interesting ... I didn't like his stroke politics

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The man was prime minister of the country at a very significant time in our history and yes many people will want to hear from him.

You are just going to have to learn to live with it and the only effect of using abusive language is to embarrass yourself.

Right, because the voters had no hand act or part in it….

Face up to reality - FF gave the voters exactly what they wanted. Everyone knew the blow out as coming, but they all expected it would some how pass them by. FF is back in power because the reflect the attitude and wishes of the voters and for no other reason. If forgiving FF the voters have basically forgiven themselves.

• Advertisement

This is an account of the pressure he was under during the Good Friday talks, which coincided with his mother’s death. How many of us would have coped?

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/that-night-for-three-hours-he-sat-alone-in-the-dark-beside-his-mothers-body-in-the-morgue-at-the-mater-hospital-26488966.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

Like him or loathe him .. there is a reason he has been asked to help in conflict resolution across the globe in the last number of years

Just like Dev used to excuse himself from addressing the crowds in Irish….

Human nature being what it is, our democracy like most democracies incorporates the principle of the division of power between the legislature, the judiciary and the executive branches. We have chosen to do so because we know power and opportunity corrupts and we all have a bit of the rogue element in us.

So why people expect politicians to be any more honest than the rest of us given the chance is a bit silly. When we are not hearing about corruption in government, is when we should be worried because it means the checks and balances we put in place are not working. The recent affair over the professorship was bad, but thank heavens the system worked!

he is indeed a very shrude and nuanced commentator when it comes to Northern Ireland , he never lowers the tone either by attacking unionist politicians , hes not tribal despite obviously being in favour of a united ireland , the point being he was a very good diplomat during negotiations surrounding Northern Ireland , he was able to manage both Ian Paisely and David Trimble , Trimble being by far the bigger assh0le by the way

he was not good on the economy down here as he believed in simply pegging money at everything , on a personal level I still believe he was far better than Martin , I think Enda Kenny was quite a good taoiseach too , we have never had a great taoiseach , no giant leader with great vision like De Gaulle , Thatcher , Helmut Kohl , to name just a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

It’s really hard to see how anyone can ignore the destruction he brought to the economy: the rampant over-spending in the public sector, cronyism (he openly admitted that he saw no problem appointing friends to state boards), almost zero oversight for banks and developers and no acceptance of criticism (telling people who warned about problems in the economy to go kill themselves) and ignoring the many, many professionals telling him for years that he was overheating the economy and had no safeguards in place.

He did some great work in the North and nothing should detract from that and he definitely came across as more personable than he’s successors but his job was to run the country, not be your drinking buddy and he was objectively and verifiably terrible at running the country. He was Taoiseach for a very long time, he had solid backing in the Dail and he had a huge amount of money to spend and he left the country in ruins: an IMF, EU and British bailout, extra taxes that we’re still paying, tens of thousands unemployed and emigrated, a massive debt that we’re still paying off, our banks still have higher capital requirements that other European banks so they’re leaving and not being replaced - the list is endless.

An election winning machine....went to the park in 07 to avoid appearing at a tribunal,everyone known he was accused of,but voted for him and ff in big numbers

One could argue,had he necked it out,collasped government in controversy autumn 07,and let opposition carry card for collaspe in 08,his political legacy would be regarded alot different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

lemass had a good vision for the country and I think he’s the best one we’ve had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,149 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bertie will attempt to jump on the coming UI bandwagon to try and get to be President. But he'll be beaten to the Aras by Gerry! You heard it here first! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I turned off Newstalk in the car when he came on to give his expertease on the NI election resukts. It won't make any difference but it made me feel a small bit better. He should be a total outcast for what he stood over in the 2000s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah yes, Lemass with his continuation of RC abduction and enslavement of women.

What a man.

Oops, forgot, that bit is inconvenient. Lemass a hero. Something something industry, something modernisation. Ignore those victims and their suffering.

Maybe Mairia Cahill will run against them.

I’d expect the Liam Adams sheltering / coverup would be a factor in the level of support Gerry Adams would get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Was his plasterer really called Paddy?

A former dissident in the Aras, interesting proposal Sam. I suppose they made her a Senator, so anything could happen.

You want a former terrorist in the Aras, not sure why you are so concerned about ‘a former dissident’.

Not in the least concerned Sam, I thought your's was an interesting proposal.

I'm a democrat, if the people elect her, she is good enough for me and I respect the office.

Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden[a] (March 10, 1957[7] – May 2, 2011[8]), also transliterated as Usama bin Ladin, was a founder of the Pan-Islamicmilitant organization al-Qaeda. The group is designated as a terrorist group by the United Nations Security Council, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), the European Union, and various countries.

I’ll believe these organisations over your guff.

Don't get too excited and count my vote. I won't be voting for her, Bertie or Gerry either, far too divisive in a new welcoming and inclusive country. Wouldn't have anyone political in the role tbh. But good luck with the campaign. 😉

• Advertisement
Advertisement