Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting usage data from smart electricity meter

• 08-05-2022 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before and I read it all. I have kamstrup omnipower single phase smart meter installed at home. My aim is to integrate it to Home Assistant in order to be able to:

• Read real-time current usage
    • Know my up-to-date total usage since the 1st day of the billing period, and most importantly...
    • Collect usage data to split day and night time (after 11pm) usage so that it will help me to decide on best price plan (flat rate vs day/night rate plans).

There are number of ways I could ready that data of the meter I have but none of them is actually possible without breaking a seal on the meter. There are like 4 or 5 seals on the thing and I know that if I ask ESB about HA integration, they will just laugh at me.

So I decided to take a different approach. I've done some online research and under the GDPR rules, more specifically the right to data portability, I should be able to request this data in a format that's "easily understood by a computer". What I'm not sure about is who has the responsibility to provide this data to me - is it my electricity provider (Flogas) or ESB?

Anyway, I have already sent an email to ESP citing the GDPR rights and asking how I could integrate the meter into my smart home system. I have a feeling they will tell me to contact Flogas but I will happily do that next. I think one of them has to give me access to that data. Am I right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ESB Smart meters are not in real time. The data uploads once a night. They can provide you with that data.

the rest of the stuff you want is already available from your supplier

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ESB say it's in the hands of the suppliers, but they have "something in the works". The suppliers say "oh but it's on our broken website". I think Bord Gáis only give you the smart data if you're on a smart plan.

It might be a little simpler to get a Shelly PM and a CT clamp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I have an Efergy transmitter (clamped around live wire at the meter) which transmits data to my sdr receiver to track and log data.

Efergy can be integrated with Home Assistant if you also have their receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

So I decided to take a different approach. I've done some online research and under the GDPR rules, more specifically the right to data portability, I should be able to request this data in a format that's "easily understood by a computer". What I'm not sure about is who has the responsibility to provide this data to me - is it my electricity provider (Flogas) or ESB?

A GDPR request won't be much good for real-time or even daily or weekly usage data. You'd have to send a separate access request every time for the data, and then wait for them to send you the response, which could take days. Also, under Article 12(5), they can refuse an access request where it is "manifestly unfounded or excessive". Extremely frequent, repetitive requests would be sound grounds for them to refuse and ignore you.

Also, household's electricity usage wouldn't count as "personal data" under GDPR legalisation. Personal data is defined as :

1. ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;

A KW/h value wouldn't count.

The right to data portability is a specific feature of the GDPR and is not a general right outside of GDPR access requests.

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

Is your meter internal or external? I'm wondering how you are powering your transmitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Meter at my house is inside, and the transmitter is battery powered and last a couple of years. Low battery warning is sent along with the current readings.

Know someone else who has the same transmitter and its inside the meter box located on the outside of the house and it works away fine.

Exactly, I then have it connected to the same system logging and plotting data from my weather station, internal temp/RH sensors, etc.

Advertisement