Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with my shrub

Options
  • 08-05-2022 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the name of this shrub? It normally has red berries growing on it and some of the leaves are starting to either. Is it sick and what can I do to help it if it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Looks like a very old Pyracantha? Is it thorny with white flowers and orange or red berries - sorry missed the bit where you said red berries first time around.

I think it might just be old age? Hard pruning in the Autumn is all I do. Mulch etc goes without saying. With the dry weather we've had (well some of us) a good watering may not go amiss?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can cut pyracanthus back to almost ground level. Ideally in late winter or early spring but you can prune them at any time once you don't mind losing a year's berries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

I did give it a hard pruning last October/ November and I was worried I damaged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

But how old is it?

Wake me up when it's all over.

About 15 years old

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It doesn't look overly bad, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Looks fine to me too. You will lose flowers and berries this year from pruning. It's flowers on 2 year old growth I think.

Advertisement