Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dysmantle

Options
  • 08-05-2022 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭

An absolute indie gem, Dysmantle has you emerge from your bunker after the apocalypse. Break everything around you to craft better gear and weapons to make your escape off the island. The first 30 minutes had me a bit 'is this all there is' as it's very basic at first but after that, the amount of things to open up from leveling up, things to craft, getting stronger, unveiling the massive map, it's just incredible addictive and relaxing.

I can pop in for a quick 15 minute session and that can easily turn into an hour.

Highly recommend checking it out, currently in sale in psn until Wednesday, 20 euro down to 16.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

@Potential-Monke I know you're playing this. My God, the addiction is unreal. Just level 13 so quite a way to go but loving every bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes! I'm addicted. I have basically stopped playing everything else. As you said above, the first while is a bit underwhelming, but it quickly gets legs and just makes you want to keep going. Every new area brings something new, a new mystery, a bit more of the overall, initially nothing story.

I'm reluctant to say more, because discovering is a big part of it. I'm level 40 now, about 60% of the map cleared, and the story is intriguing to me. This, and to another degree Tunic, have created a great storytelling system. One that makes me want to know more.

It's a meticulously planned map. You're stopped by as of yet unbreakable barriers, but it gently guides you to where you should go next. Each new upgrade opens up more paths, quicker return paths, etc.

It has some crafting, but it's the set and waif type, so off you go to explore while waiting and end up completely sidetracked so easily. It's a collectors dream, but there's no painful inventory management. Everything is shared across every campfire box, and even crafting doesn't require you to have the items in your active inventory (save for a few specific cases, such as quests).

Death is always avoidable, but not severely punished. Does the usual get back to your body craic. Combat isn't the focus here, and it's simplistic but you can get easily overwhelmed with multiple enemies.

I wasn't sure how it would last as I thought I was nearing the end of upgrades, but nope. Still drip feeding me enough to keep going. And it runs perfect. I've seen only 2 graphical glitches, 2 group tiles clipping, and that's it. Zero issues. It's unusual to play a new game that has no issues day 1.

I haven't been this taken by a game in a while. Some people may find it too simplistic, or easy, or might find the Dysmantling a bit too much, but I've yet to think it's grindy at just over 25 hours. At the price, it's worth a chance at least. Strong contender for GOTY for me. Muchos gracias for the recommendation. Thought I was in a gaming funk, i just wasn't playing the right game.

Yeah i really wasn't expecting this to become my main game but the devs just nailed the balance of loot, exploration, upgrades, things to do, etc. I just upgraded my main blunt and sharp weapons to levels where i went back to the first area to wreck the place and getting so many resources, I'm constantly upgrading. Even the cooking system is a breeze, only have to find the recipe and make it once to get a permanent upgrade, and at that it's completely optional to eat, no constantly looking to cook food.

I'm one shotting normal zombies now but it can still get hairy. I found a zone where i need to craft new clothing to survive there but i have plenty to do anyway.

I'm actually tempted to stop playing and wait for the base building update as i think it's the only thing missing from this. Build a house and farm with defenses set up, hopefully a link tower for fast travel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

can get the game on Xbox for €3.99 via Eneba

Only Level 8 atm and still using crowbar as main weapon, hopefully I get better weapons soon

Quick tip, upgrade the sickle when you get it. I thought it was just for farming but it's able to break down stuff the crowbar can't do you'll be switching between both. Then upgrading those, it's crazy the amount of new things you can break with them.

• Advertisement

Looks like the game is coming to iOS and Android soon, no date yet

Could be a good mobile game in fairness. And yes, you'll always be swapping between blunt and slash, with an occasional dig and fish! I've only 4 areas left to uncover, but the last few threw some unexpected things into it. I can also see me trying to do everything on the map! Just a joy to explore.

Just saw the credits roll. What a game! Tied up nicely, cool little story and idea. The fact that you can break basically everything at some point, but it remembers where each and every single item and enemy is in a map this size is astounding imo. After 41 hours, I've picked up some leaf that I left behind in around the first hour of the game. It even remembers the damage you did if I'm not mistaken. Over what I can only assume is hundreds of thousands of individual items. And aside from a bit of slow down when destroying multiple things at once, which I'm putting down to a cool slo-mo effect, it's a near flawless game!

41 hours but I've every intention of going back in. End-game reloads just before the last thing to do, so I'm happy about that! Clearing up a few things, left a big enough grindy one till last, and of course that unlocks the last thing I need, which would be helpful for this part I'm assuming! I'm even tempted to keep going until I have destroyed everything on the island! Some end game items to help the grind and they're quite satisfying!

While base building would be nice, especially at this point, you can basically already create a base, just without walls n stuff. But that's also coming, and this is definitely a game I would go back to with each update. 10 minutes or 10 hours, this works. I think 10ton have hit on something special here, and the only thing holding them back is their imagination. I would play this game with a different style over and over. Highly recommended!

Edit: Just in case anyone is going by the video above, I'm pretty sure this isn't in early access anymore. Aside from the base building, everything else is already there so the video mentioning the upgrade tree isn't available, map areas not available, etc. They're all in the PS5 version.

Post edited by Potential-Monke on

It's absolutely incredible man. I keep saying I'll play 10 minutes and then go onto something else. 2 hours later and i have to drag myself from it. I just hit level 20 and still have so much of the map to uncover but every little area provides enough challenge to keep you interested and always something handy to work towards crafting. It's so relaxing as well which is rare for a survivor game and well, games in general these days

100% recommended.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Is it playing ok on switch by any chance

• Advertisement

I'd imagine this is the same feeling people get from playing Eurotruck and Farming Simulator games, but with a bit of a story! I had to stop playing Farming Simulator because I really shouldn't have been enjoying it. Same with the Lawnmower one. With this, I feel like my time is being spent right!

Edit: I googled the story to see if I missed anything, and there's quite a lot to it when you look back. Very well done!

Post edited by Potential-Monke on

From a few quick checks on reviews, seems to run on a mostly stable 60fps with some occasional small drops, so appears to be running good.

End game smashy is sooooo satisfying... Wooden houses stand no chance! You're next, bricks!

It's mad, more people should be playing/talking about this. Even the reddit is fairly dead. This is one indie where i recommend at the full price of 20 quid. A lot of Indies on PlayStation are overpriced but you definitely get your money's worth with this.

Either people aren't playing it, or the two of us are gone mad about a game no one else likes!

I got the builders kit tonight. The big teases with question marks in there. I'm guessing that's where the base building will be added.

Gonna use the smelter to upgrade my axe before moving on. The main quest is fairly genius. Simple as finding 4 parts but they are scattered every corner of the map and because every area has a new challenge, quest, item, etc, you don't even think about the main goal and just enjoy what you're doing while it all naturally takes you there. Just sublime game design, devs nailed it.

I'm playing it too, getting fairly addicted to it now

Strange, same feeling with Subnautica, nearly gave up on that after 30 minutes as well and then it just clicked. Only negative i have is that even at just level 21, the zombies have become a bit trivial. 1 or 2 shotting most of them. I mostly use the baseball bat with an upgraded knockback perk so even bosses can't get close to me. Saying that i have and l about 10% map discovered and still haven't gone North as i didn't have the right clothing at the time.

The zombies do become trivial, but they're a necessary requirement! And it makes me feel like a boss. But true for ya, the sense of exploration I have with it is up there with Subnautica, just always wanting to go a bit further and finding new and interesting things every time.

Three of us mad beans playing it so, and maybe eggy picked it up above. We'll be the ones laughing in a few months when everyone else is just starting and us with our most likely completely levelled map! Or crying, wishing we could do it again for the first time.

The bit of a grind at the end was getting to me, but I just need about 5 minutes of smashy time with a certain weapon and I'm beaming again. And doesn't look to be too grindy in the end. Pro note, pick up every mushroom you run by. Also, I don't see a level cap in sight, but it's slowed significantly.

Thanks for the tip about the mushroom. I was actually thinking it will be like Subnautica where at the end you need a ton of specific parts to finish it.

If they had the base building of Subnautica, this would damn near be perfect. Pick a nice lake or pond to build a little farmhouse by. I saw their tease was a basic 4 wall empty room but hopefully they can greatly expand on that. Hell, I'd pay for a builders dlc or crave a sequel. Devs are definitely onto something special but I'm sure they have to make enough money from this one.

• Advertisement

I'm at end end game now, yet there's still something to do. I'm just clearing up points of interest, which should pop thr plat, I'm over half way through. But even then, there's still something. Something that will take a while, and may be a challenge.

The mushrooms were one that got me, but I had most else just by general collection, and helped by the final blade weapon. You could be different. Also optional. Late game items will need a bit of a grind, but I managed all within an hour, just needed some well planned crafting. And the collection system is exactly what it needs to be for this game. Inventory management done right, simple.

I should move on. I've Curse of the Dead God's ready to go, but I'm still hacking away. They've got a fan here. And like Subnautica, I'm day 1 for anything new.

I did the shelter defense last night in the desert. Even with the new buildable, couldn't manage it at all, will come back to them. Gone back to the centre of the map to continue West. Absolutely wrecking stuff i couldn't last time i was there. Needed 5 of a certain part to progress, went back with 150 of them :) Very satisfying. Strangely, this makes me want to replay some older games. I reinstalled xcom 2 but i just want to keep playing Dysmantle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I got this game too based on the recommendations in this thread. I'm about 17 hours in and Level 24 and I was really enjoying but it's started to feel a little overwhelming now. I've got to the point where I've collected one of the required fuel cells and I've still the vast majority of the map unexplored. Maybe I'm spending too much time exploring and going into most buildings I find but I do want to aim for the platinum trophy which requires uncovering all points of interest.

Do you recommend just going through the story missions and then aiming for other things end-game? I have to say it's a seriously impressive game, such a huge map for an Indie title.

I'm around the same point as you. Level 27 and about to get my first fuel cell. I didn't too much time exploring and blocked at multiple paths where i need a gas mask. Decided to finally go for a fuel cell and think I'll mainline those now. My crowbar and axe are maxxed out, badly need a stronger blunt weapon.

Currently set my base at the Sanctuary farm where i have steady stocks growing, 2 lumber mills, 2 smelters and most importantly, a close link tower for fast travel. I found the Ark which after googling is end game thankfully as that is a mega grind quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Played about 2 hours of this on switch last night. Made it into second area after completing the first few quests and killing the big monster guarding the gate. Just hit level 7 so I can craft the thing to stop the monsters regenning after camping.

Early game am I better off upgrading my crowbar and ruck sack intensively or should I keep unlocking the various items that become available. So far I have a shovel, cap, cooking pot and bandages. Crowbar is up to 30 damage I think. About level 4. Am I better off just constantly upgrading it for now to allow for more smashy time.

Enjoying it so far anyway.

Absolutely upgrade weapons and backpack first. You'll need both blunt and sharp weapons upgraded together to get the rarer items from big objects that will open more upgrade paths.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

How do you unlock the lumber mill and smelter? Do you just come across them while exploring?

Hmmm. Played it for an hour or two. Found it fairly grindy and dropped it.

At level 29 and already have 2 fuel cells and fully upgraded baseball bat that does 54 damage. Just found the sawmill and just crafting lumber now. I've backpack fully upgraded and have the common and uncommon compressors crafted too. Also when going for the fuel cells just use grenades

• Advertisement

Yupp, there are multiple ones around the map and when you find one, you'll get a blueprint and then quest to build your own. You usually find them when you start needing steel and lumber.

Advertisement