Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Agapanthus from seed

Options
  • 09-05-2022 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi all, I 'acquired' Agapanthus seeds from a local park late last year, planted them in seed trays Feb/Mar (indoors) and I now have loads of seedlings that I will be moving to pots. I plan on keeping them indoors for a couple of weeks until they take to the pots and then move outside. Long term I aim to plant direct into the ground.

Any advice on how to care for them in the meantime while still in pots - direct/partial sunlight, protected from wind etc? Do slugs or whatever like them? Watering needs?

I gather that it will be year 2 at best before they flower so I'm in this for the long haul - for winter would it be best to stick them in a greenhouse for protection while still in pots?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

If they survive the winter in the park then they are the hardy type of agapanthus.

The pots should be fine outdoors. They grow well in hotter climates than ours, so they shouldn't need much water- just don't let them dry out completely.

Don't expect them to flower in their first year (and maybe not their second!)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Take care when handling and potting them on too, all parts are supposed to be toxic.

Advertisement