Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand shops in Athlone - anyone know any good places for vinyl

Options
  • 09-05-2022 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

All input gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

It depends on what you plan on collecting vinyl for.

If it's for listening purposes, you're not going to have much luck in Athlone. There's no decent record stores in Athlone anymore. Your only option are new (over-priced) records from the dreaded Golden Discs.

If you're looking for cheap records, you could try charity shops like St Vincent de Paul on Church St., or the Simon Community shop in Irishtown. But we're talking bottom of the bargain bin rubbish that's only really useful for an art project, or for making weird and obscure samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I did the charity shops in Athlone one day - found absolutely nothing but complete crud. The few decent records I spotted, I already owned.

On the whole, Irish charity shops are very inferior for vinyl compared to UK. We were a much poorer country in the 1960s and 1970s so didn't buy as many records and of the ones we did buy, played them lots. The Dublin shops have a better selection but the good stuff gets picked up fast - you have the same guys trawling them a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Cheers for the feedback, guys and Apols for taking so long to get back

Advertisement