Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir technician says I need Cat5 cable installed in apartment for internet

Options
  • 09-05-2022 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi There

A signed up for Eir broadband and one of their technicians dropped by. Basically the internet couldnt be connected as he said I need to run a Cat5 (ethernet) cable from the service box in the apartment building into my apartment. My neighbours underneath me have Eir internet and my apartment has a normal phone line connection that everyone else has/uses. I havent seen anyone with a Cat5 connection in their home.

Is the Eir technician telling porkies or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭cml387

Sounds like nonsense to me. The Eir broadband box works off the standard phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Could be on carrier line on a pair gain, thought those were all gone.

If so you've not got a normal phone line but a shared one, with some other while the neighbours have the main one or their own.

So can't get ADSL, and without the network cable can't get proper fibre.

Advertisement