Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hinge

• 09-05-2022 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am interested to hear your views/experiences of Hinge.

My experiences have been pretty dire, to say the least. I have been using Hinge for a week now and I have sent forty (the limit of 8 daily likes over the 7 days) or so likes with comments in that time. I have not recieved one reply. I have mixed it up: I have been polite, I have asked questions, I have tried to be funny and I have shown a keen interest in different aspects of their profile but I have been met with silence.

I have changed up my profile in this time by switching/changing photos, adding less or more info too - but to no avail.

It seems on the face of it that Hinge tries to be maybe less superficial than Tinder perhaps, but it doesn't appear this way.

I am interested to hear what you think of Hinge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Hinges? They have their place. What would doors be without them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Fallout2022

Hinge - ryhmes with Binge. And Minge.

Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Cringe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Great invention. Any bother they give is usually sorted by a quick blast of WD40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't whinge

Dinge (yes, it is a real word apparently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I didn't know what Hinge was, so I looked it up. It's a dating app. On their home page, they clam it is "built on an acclaimed Nobel-Prize-winning algorithm". I didn't read any more, but it's safe to assume that it's the Gale-Shapley algorithm, for which Shapley and Roth won the 2012 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences (Gale died in 2008).

The Gale-Shapley algorithm is designed to solve the Stable Matching Problem, which is a problem of matching up two equally sized sets of elements in such a way that all matches hare happy with how they've been matched up. Sounds idyllic for a dating app, as it guarantees success for all participants. It requires two things: As mentioned, a) two equally sized sets of elements (no one left over on either side) and b) guaranteed participation in the matching: when one element is matched with another, they must reply either "maybe" or "no", before moving on to the next round of matching, where elements again reply to matched with "maybe" or "no", until a point is reached where everyone's "No" are excluded and they're left with the one perfect match.

First off, even if hinge restrict their users to just two sets (say, heterosexual men and heterosexual women), they cannot guarantee that the two sets are of equal size, and according to this analyses wot I plucked off de innerwebs, they have 70% men to 30% women. So the Gale-Shapley algorithm is instantly useless to the sets they're working with.

Secondly, as you have discovered, many users aren't replying or interacting. So they're no participating in the algorithm. If they don't participate, it can't work, as the algorithm can't process to the next round to hone down the matches if it doesn't get feedback from the current round.

Thirdly, the problem that the Gale-Shapley algorithm solves isn't the actual problem that is faced in selecting a romantic partner. People often have equal preference between two potential matches. While the GS algorithm requires that they choose one and reject the other, it also assumes that they won't regret this choice, and will move on to the next round with confidence. In real life, people often do harbour regrets over their choices, which causes complexities that the GS algorithm can't successfully handle.

Basically, Hinge is bullshit and can't work.

QED.

❤️

Why don't you open up your heart Gympodie.

There you'll find the biggest and best dating app in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This would make a funny sketch I think, starting out all enthusiastic sending nice messages, then get frustrated to eventually you smashing your computer off a wall. I have said it loads of times there are too many men on them dating sites so men end up messaging women they wouldn't look twice at in real life and the average to less than average looking women have such a big pool to pick from that they don't even reply to someone who they couldn't pull in real life, its crazy when you think about it.

Also men are only after 1 thing from them sites while women want something completely different. Then you get people who are on them sites for years, I mean what is that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It's the best dating app I've tried. I get more more matches and the women actually make an effort with the conversations. It's not just me asking questions and getting short replies.

It's still difficult to find the time to go on a date though when everyone seems to be running marathons and climbing mountains every weekend. I suppose how else are you going to get all those panoramic landscape photos for your dating profile? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I mean, dating apps tend to all be a bit sh1t, and kind of like two/three/four/however many cheeks of the same arse anyways. About as good as how well you're willing to manage your expectations and your self-esteem around them i.e have low expectations and don't put stock into how many dating prospects you have as a barometer for how great you are.

I met my fella on Hinge between Covid lockdowns, moved home and moved in with him shortly afterwards, but then I had low expectations and thought it was all a bit mental and had done enough therapy to not carry too much baggage into my dating life anyway! Don't miss them though!

Advertisement