Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Pine Marten footprint?

Options
  • 09-05-2022 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I saw one recently in the forest, also my neighbours have said they have seen them around.

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Very open to correction,but thinking not.Toes would be thinner,longer and closer together I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Something for scale would have been helpful. Having what looks like all 5 toes like that makes me think Pine Marten or Otter, I've seen Otter and you normally see the claws but I don't think they are as prominent as on a Pine Marten. That said I'm not sure I can make out 5 toes?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

Yeah there were 5, no claws that I could see though. (though apparently pine marten claws are semi retractable)

This is in a Coilte forest on the top of a hill, theres no rivers or lakes here, just fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its down to size then up to 4 cm for Pine Marten afaik, any bigger and could be badger (but would expect to see some evidence of claws and it doesn't really look like badger but still one to bare in mind) and an otter could be double that.

I'd be looking for scat. Pine Marten would be black, in a long twisted swirl, sweet smelling and probably full of hair and bones. Its worth a smell test if you spot any. If its smells bad then its not Pine Marten. Otter also has a sweet smelling scat, I think it smell of jasmine tea.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement