Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAC Air Riffle for hunting

• 10-05-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I have wanted to get my own gun for target shooting and small game hunting for a long time now. I have been looking at some FAC air riffles in some gun shops PCP to be more specific around 20-30ft pounds. I live in the country side and quite easily have permission to hunt on various farmers lands. im 30 years old and am engineer by trade with no criminal record. I plan to join a shooting range more specific a riffle range to practice.

What is the law on hunting game i.e pheasants? I know pests are fair game but is it it allowed even with a higher power air riffle?

I appreciate the reply

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

Rifle for vermin mostly. Pheasant require shotgun. License your pcp and your good to go on rabbits. Check your local club, but 22 rimfire might be more suited to competition there, and plenty good for rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Anthony M

Plenty of rabbits around here! and in terms of wood pigeons, does this same rule apply? I know there is a hunting season but can i shoot one in a field? Thanks.

Where is a good place to find out more details. i know when i join a gun club, they would probably know.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭kunekunesika

You can't shoot pigeons in the same way as rabbits, afaik. They are covered by an annual derogation from the minister, allowing them to be shot if they are damaging crops. Some one else here will set you straight on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭JP22

All wildlife including fauna is strictly protected by law.

Certain birds are classified as game-birds and can be shot with a shotgun only within their allotted season (pheasant, duck, grouse, snipe, pigeon,…..).

Certain birds (pigeon and mostly corvids) are classified as vermin/pests if they are damaging landowner’s crops and can be shot under an annual derogation order if such order is issued by the minister.

No doubt others here will have more info for you.

Edit. Here you go.

Note - Pigeon have their own game season but are also included as vermin outside this period if damaging crops and can be shot under derogation order, if issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Anthony M

Thanks for clearing it up. Suppose rabbits only. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

You don't have to limit your shooting to just rabbits.

BIRDS:

Under derogation, the birds you can shoot are rooks, jackdaws, greycrows, magpies and pigeons........if causing damage to crops,  fauna etc. 

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/eu-directives/birds-directive/eu-birds-directive-article-9-derogations#:~:text=The%20Minister%20has%20signed%20a,in%20respect%20of%20air%20safety.

MAMMALS:

All year round you can shoot mice, rats, rabbits, grey squirrels and mink............... the "vermin" species.

Fox, feral goats and muntjac are also classified as "vermin" and can be shot with a suitable rifle the whole year round - an air rifle would not be classed as a suitable rifle, for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What would be the steps involved to owning an air rifle suitable for rabbits?

Can anyone recommend one for a beginner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

First step will be to do a firearms competency or safety course which your local firearms dealer should be able to arrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What kind of groups would you get at 100 yds with a 30 ft lb air rifle.

Advertisement