Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to choose secondary school

Options
  • 10-05-2022 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, we live in Rush and starting to look around for secondary school for our boy. We have no clue what ti do if to send him to the one here in Rush or to pick a different one, a" better one" somewhere else like Dublin city centre? What would you suggest? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

There are plenty of things to consider when choosing a secondary school. One of them is the tables that are printed which show what % of kids went on to third level. I sent my daughter to a different school to most of her friends as they went to a school where 36% went on to third level and the one she went to was 90% ish.

Its not the only factor, but an important one in my opinion

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I grew up down the road here, and I live in Rush.Debating this a lot for my own boy (he is young yet).I'd be sure enough of schools for my girls but unsure on him.

I think League tables play a part.I would also talk to parents you knpw, even better if they already have kids in the schools, and see what is said.Being from the area myself, I have a good feeling for all the local schools, but still it is good to know.The tables won't tell you information on how the school is run day to day, what the principal and staff are like.

I'd also suggest that while it is good for him to have a few friends going with him - don't be afraid to put your foot down and send him somewhere you feel would be better than the one "all" of his friends might be going to.Their parents will be making those decisions based on their child's education needs, so don't be afraid to do it yourself too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not local to Rush, but do consider the effect of a commute. It'll be for 6 years for 9 months of the year. A friend from Rush went to Manor House and resented the massive daily journey. It also meant that after-school activities local to the school were off the table.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement