Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q lite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

Rang to cancel sky yesterday and was offered this package for 10 euro per month. My sky bill was 84 per month. I didn't need to give the 30 days notice therefore it will pay for itself for the next 8 months if I decide to keep it that lo g.

Was gonna replace it with zgemma box but there's no urgency for that now. Will probably wait until after Christmas.

Disappointing that channel 4 and its variants aren't on it but I have a TV in the bedroom with a freesat tuner that can also record so I can get over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

You could manually tune the FTA versions of Channel 4 HD, E4 and More4 etc into "Other Channels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Does anyone with Sky Q lite experience know if you can get that package with multiroom or is it only available on a single box? The person I was on the phone to wasn't helpful.

Post edited by Oat23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

My understanding is there is no multi-room support

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just as a matter of interest can you take Sky Q lite if you don’t have Sky broadband? My understanding is that it’s only advertised in connection with Sky broadband but it also seems some people have been offered it when cancelling (I cancelled earlier this week and wasn’t). And if you do take it on a cancellation, does that render you ineligible for new customer offers if you decide to go back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭galtee boy

If you badger Vodafone , you can get broadband and TV for about €45 a month for the first 12 months. It will give you 32 channels in HD, including CH4 ( upscaled), BBC News on the Epg, restart programmes etc, 7 day epg rewind. This isn't an advert for Vodafone, I just think its a far better option than SkyQ Lite for a few euros more, seeing as you have to take broadband with both of them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

I would also be curious about this. My parents have sky just for RTE and recording and it seems like this option would suit much better. They have VF BB though so not sure it its an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Does Sky Q lite have Sky Go included and if so what channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Dermot224

Went to cancel Sky last month.Was going to get recordable freesat box but was offered this package for €10 a month.I dont have Sky BB. I decided to opt for it as saves buying new box and will SKY will maintain box and dish.Can tune in ITV HD and Channel 4 HD on other channels. You can set up favourites in TV guide to avoid seeing channels you not subs ribed to. You can rent from Sky Store also

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimjangles

I changed today to Sky Q Lite (actually I think they called it Sky Essential) and can confirm the only channels on Sky Go are the channel 4 ones ie. E4, more 4 etc. and Sky News and that's it. Everything else is blocked and doesn't work. I thought you'd get the free to air channels on Sky go but no you don't.

I have a Fire HD 10. To watch Virgin Media on the HD 10 I have to download the Virgin Media app now instead. RTE still don't have an app available for the Fire HD 10 so that won't work on it. RTE are so lazy and useless and behind the times and we're paying a TV licence for their ****. Anyway maybe this info would be useful to some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

switched to Sky Essentials this week - as with anything Sky account related, it took about 3 hours chatting with them on Facebook to get it done, rejecting various other offers. I had to ask for it, they didn't mention it themselves and it's not listed anywhere on the Irish version of the Sky website.

€10 a month. The only channels I'm losing that I'll miss are Channel 4 (can get the app, and I assume I can tune it into Other Channels, but it's annoying that C4 is on the UK version of Essentials), Eurosport (I'll subscribe to Discovery+ which has all the Eurosport content) and maybe G.O.L.D. Our TV has the NowTV app built in so if I want to watch something on a Sky channel I'll just get a discount code for NowTV.

I was paying over €70 a month which included Movies and Netflix, with Discovery+ and Paramount+ thrown in for "free" but really 95% of what we watch is on RTE or BBC and the kids like watching the panel shows on Dave. Having everything bundled together just means you're paying for it every month whether you're watching it or not. I think €10 is a decent price for basic channels and the SkyQ functions, I looked at Virgin which would have been €15 on top of the broadband but didn't get a lot of support for changing to an entirely new system.

Full list of channels as supplied in the chat with Sky - despite what this list says, we do still have Dave.

Irish Channels ​

• RTE Jr ​
    • RTE One ​
    • RTE One +1 ​
    • RTE2 HD ​
    • RTE2 SD ​
    • TG4 ​
    • TG4 HD ​
    • HD RTE One ​
    • Oireachtas TV ​
    • RTE News Now ​
    • Virgin Media 1 ​
    • Virgin Media 2 ​
    • Virgin Media 3​

UK Regionals ​

• S4C HD ​

• S4C ​

• BBC 1 NI ​

• BBC 2 NI ​

• BBC 1 HD ​

• BBC2 HD ​

• BBC FOUR ​

(BBC3 works as well)

News

• Sky News ​

• CNBC ​

• CNN HD ​

• NHK World ​

• Euro news ​

• CGTN ​

• NDTV ​

• RT HD ​

• France Eng ​

• Al Jazeera HD ​

• CNC World ​

• TVC News ​

• RT ​

• TRT World HD ​

• TVC News +1 ​

• Channels 24 ​

• Times now ​

• CNN ​

• Bloomberg ​

• News 18​

Entertainment

• Challenge ​

• Challenge +1 ​

• CBS Reality ​

• CBS Reality + 1 ​

• CBS Action ​

• CBS Drama ​

• Pick ​

• Really ​

• Sony Channel ​

• Sony Channel +1 ​

• Drama ​

• BEN ​

• True Ent ​

• True Ent + 1 ​

• True Crime ​

• Tru TV ​

• Black Ent Channel ​

• Propeller ​

• Showcase ​

• Showcase +1 ​

• Your TV ​

• My Channel ​

• VOX Africa ​

• AIT INT ​

• ABN TV​

Not listed but seem to have Dave, W, Yesterday etc as well, but not GOLD. Also E4 extra but no other C4 channels.

Speciality

• Home and Leisure ​

• Property show ​

• Food Network ​

• Food Network + 1 ​

• Travel Channel ​

• Travel Channel + 1 ​

• Horse and Country ​

• Holiday and cruise ​

• Forces TV​

Sport

• Moto sport TV ​

• Bike ​

• Front Runner​

Movies

• Film 4 +1 ​(but not Film4 - wtf?)

• Pick + 1 ​

• Horror channel ​

• Horror channel + 1 ​

• True Movies ​

• True Movies +1 ​

• Sony Movies ​

• Sony Movies + 1 ​

• Movies 4 Men ​

• Movies 4 Men + 1 ​

• Nollywood ​

• Talking pictures ​

• ROK​

Music

• Viva ​

• Chart Show TV ​

• The Vault ​

• Scuzz ​

• Vintage TV ​

• Chilled 90’s ​

• Starz TV ​

• Chart show Hits ​

• Flava ​

• Now 80’s ​

• Club land TV ​

• Channel AKA ​

• Heart TV ​

• Capital TV ​

• Keep it Country​

Kids

• CBBC ​

• CBeebies ​

• POP ​

• POP +1 ​

• Tiny POP ​

• Tiny POP +1 ​

• KIX ​

• KIX +1​

Documentaries

• PBS America ​

• Yesterday ​

• Yesterday +1 ​

• Community ​

• Insight HD ​

• Blaze​

Then you get shopping channels, religious channels, adult channels and foreign language channels too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd imagine you should have ViaplayXtra HD sports channel too (what used to be Freesports HD).

Or maybe that's one that has to be manually added?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s not on the Irish EPG any more, so manual tuning.

The Channel 4 app only allows catch-up in Ireland, trying to live stream returns an error.

do you actually have S4C? That hasn’t been on the Irish EPG in years. Nor I think is Forces TV, that was removed post Brexit.

there's apparently no C4 app for my model of TV (bizarrely, not available for 2020 model LGs but is available for other years...). I have it on a Firestick which has Smart DNS so the live stuff may work, haven't tried yet. Yeah that list overall seems a bit dubious

Longer term I may look at getting a Freesat box, though at only €10 a month the economics of switching to Freesat are not so compelling now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

No need to subscribe to Discovery + for Eurosport, it's included with sky q lite as a VIP offer same as standard sky q. The FTA catch up services also are included, including All 4 and BBC on demand.

Nice one, I had noticed Disc+ still says "managed by Sky" when I went in to check when it would expire. Odd that All4 C4 on-demand would be included when live Channel4 is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Another strange one is that you can stream C4 live on the sky go even though it's blocked on sat

It also seems I can stream some channels in HD on Sky Go when I don't have them in HD on the Q box (the RTE and BBC channels are in HD but nothing else as I'm not paying the ridiculous €10 HD fee). Not that it's particularly useful as I can't easily get Sky Go onto the TV screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Sky should have similar deal for standard HD Box users (which i bet is still the majority in Ireland). A deal of say €15 a month for all Irish and BBC's would keep a lot of people who otherwise have/or will cancel their Sky subs this year. I will be cancelling at end of current contract in Oct unless something like this comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

Are they still offering sky q lite if you call to cancel? Getting this with multiroom would provide for all of my needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Unless it has changed recently, I think there is no CH4 in either SD or HD with SkyQ Lite.

I was going to switch to this, but they won't do multi-room which is a must for me.

Quick question for folks who have this… do you also pay for the HD pack? Or do you get HD RTE etc without paying for it. And is the 10 euros a month ongoing or just the first year?

RTE and BBC are HD, you don't have to pay for the HD option. AFAIK it's €10 long term and there's no contract, though I'm sure it'll creep up as all Sky prices do.

you can tune it in via "Add Channels", live only obviously - it also works on SkyGo for some reason. Channel4 app works fine in Ireland if you can get it on your TV or use chromecast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭apache

They do do multiroom. I have it. Think it's €19 a month.

Ah they told me they couldn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cathy427

Any feedback on sky basic? Seems its free to air uk channels plus Irish. The big advantage being still have live pause and series link.

Have sky+HD, rang to cancel it today and they offerred sky basic.

I didn't take it as it doesn't have channel 4 (or eurosport) and was expecting a decent discounted offer on the standard package but none came and now wondering should I have taken the basic.

So has anyone switched to it that previously had the standard package and how do you find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Is channel 4 not tuned in as i can view it on freesat.

I know no Irish open on sat on Enigma2 boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Swapped a while back. It’s great. Save a packet and no contract. Sky own the box too so they will repair it if there is a fault. You can tune C4 in manually. Film 4 plus one available but not Film 4 oddly enough. Use nowtv for cheap access to entertainment/sports. Have a peek at the bargain alerts thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,213 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Does it mean no stupid HD channels? If it did its perfect. Just what I want. I might ring and ask for that. The price of Sky standard has rocketed to stupid levels. I hate the HD channels. Never wanted them.

Can you still record shows with Sky basic?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement