Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Dreamers Thread II: Hyper Adverts Retro Gaming Edition!!!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Same thing happened to me with the Pocket. Plus, I had the realisation that despite it being a wonderful bit of kit, I'd STILL prefer to play on OG handhelds, with and without modern screens in them. I ended up cancelling the preorder, and don't regret it. Again tho, it's a wonderful piece of tech and they really done it the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Or....eh....you know......preorder it yourself if you're inclined to buy.

/shakes head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I do spent an inordinate amount of time wondering as to whom the target of grifts like this might be. What are the chances someone would be aware of something as niche as the Analogue Duo yet entirely ignorant as to ordering it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Yeah. Just chancers hoping for a drawn out fulfillment, ala the 'ABC' grouping of the Pocket, and/or for them to be sold out.

Unless Analogue have set a really ridiculously small level of units for production, which may or may not be the case (personally think it's not a huge number, but still needs to be enough to warrant the added production costs, optical drives etc etc.), it's a product that I would expect to have at least a lengthy a preorder presence as the latest run of the Mega SG and Super NT, which were available for a number of weeks post yet another 'final run'. Nowhere even close to the level of interest the Pocket commanded.

It's the nichest of niche 'mass produced' console platforms, and there is a danger of over-selling its appeal to many potential customers. Now, it looks a lovely unit and if it plays ball as it promises, it'd be a nice device for original media. Personally, I might have to bulk up my positively anaemic CD collection. Cost-wise, the additional 50 dollars is probably somewhat understandable, given how difficult it is for minor players to source FPGAs, extra components and production bandwidth, though the scandalous shipping charge I'm sure is making everyone interested do a double take. Still cheaper than what it cost for a prior SuperGrafx I got, but there is something unsavoury about paying so much, dont forget the duty, just to get an item in your hands.

Tough 2nd half of the year for this crowd now stating that Duos, Pockets, Mega SG and Super NT will ship this calendar year. Seems likely something will slip, not to mention those Pocket Cart Adaptors which I'm sure were mentioned to ship this year, but curiously have a 'coming 2023' as opposed to everything else's 'shipping 2023' stuff on the store. Still, eyes wide open when dealing with Analogue is the best advice....money up front, protracted delivery, pseudo-Apple/Samsung-style buzz marketing I can live with....lack of comms would be my personal bug-bear, plus those shipping charges aren't making many friends. To be fair to them though, while I've never had the pleasure, I've personally not heard of one case of them not refunding someone cancelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

This one has to be seen to be believed

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2115954175414454/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jaysus

Looks like a painted fireplace, obviously a labour of love for someone but... wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

You'd get a new PS5, TV and games for less than €2k and not have to house that monstrosity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I actually didn't think someone could make something more monstrous looking than the PS5. Impressive work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'd have to wonder what the seller thinks they have.

I wonder if many people have been asked for their opinion and, in true emperors new clothes style, they said it looked fabulous.

I bit like when your child produces a picture of a horse from school, except it has six and a half legs, on the left side only, and when you remark what a wonderful picture it is, they tell you it's the wrong way up, and it is in fact a picture of a scene from Legend of Zelda on the CDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I hate these "bespoke" systems.

2k would get you a nice small QLED/OLED TV, PS5, 2.1 soundbar, mini fridge, charging docks and a solid IKEA TV unit with any drawers/shelves you want. Plus games etc.

A trend among my neighbours is those "feature walls" where they build shelves into the wall, putting the TV flush with the wall (and often no space around the TV for getting at cables) and tacky LED lighting. That would probably be cheaper than this yoke and be done by actual carpenters!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You forgot they also put the tv well about eye level.

Advertisement