Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combined Care GP Visits/Bloods

Options
  • 11-05-2022 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone could help me. Myself and my wife are expecting for the first time. Everything is going to plan and she is currently 29 weeks.

We went for private care but every so often the nurse in the private clinic have issues getting blood samples so they advise to go the GP a few days later to try again for bloods.

The GP is free but after 4 visits for bloods we have been charged €25 a visit by the GP surgery for the bloods and last week were charged €60 for a glucose test.

Should all pregnancy related GP tests be free? Or do you lose the benefit of free HSE pregnancy care when going private?

We read up on combined care and all GP pregnancy related visits and tests should be free but looking for clarification on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Blood testing itself is free in the sense that the HSE covers the cost of the tests, blood tubes, forms, laboratory costs and labour.

The GP practice charge is for their time and interpretation of results.

Private practices shouldn't really push ye back on the GP when you are paying for private care.

Advertisement